• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

No movie audio over HDMI

chrissav

I've rebuilt my media pc changing motherboards to one that has both SPDIF and built in HDMI that supports audio over hdmi. The spdif output is connected to my av amp (amp has no hdmi support), this is configured as the default sound device and having installed the klite codec pack it works great. However, there are times when I would prefer to just output the audio over the hdmi straight to the tv to play thru it's built in speakers instead.

If I set the HDMI to be the default sound device, the only audio that plays thru this are mp3 files, movies play with no sound.

Playback thru WMP and WMC behaves the same. Movie files are all x264 and it is using ffdshow for playback of bothe vidio and audio. When running the ffdshow audio config, the pass-thru option is ticked.

I'm not sure whether this is a codec configuration issue or something else. I also can't remember if it was any different before installing any codecs in the first place.

Ideally, I would like to output audio over both SPDIF and HDMI connections simultaneously to save messing around with changing the default device, but it appears there are all sorts of issues with this and it looks like my best option for this would be to output it all over hdmi and then split out the optical (assuming it will leave the audio on the outgoing hdmi), but I can't seem to get the movie audio out over the hdmi in the first place at all at the moment.

Motherboard - Asrock 890GM Pro3
OS - Windows 7

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Chris

Bigmac22

Standard Member
Complicated issue, pretty sure I won't be able to help but out of interest, why would you want to output the sound through HDMI ever, if you've got a dolby/stereo system in place? I only want to know as I might be making a decision about sound output for my media centre pc soon...

chrissav

Complicated issue, pretty sure I won't be able to help but out of interest, why would you want to output the sound through HDMI ever, if you've got a dolby/stereo system in place? I only want to know as I might be making a decision about sound output for my media centre pc soon...

Sometimes we want to watch something off the mediapc without the full surround, maybe a tv episode or, dare I say it, a 'chick flick' or something later at night where you don't want to be rattling the windows.

As it turns out, I actually have two issues, the first being not able to output to two audio devices at the same time and the other not getting movie audio (dts/dd) over the hdmi.

In my situation, the hdmi goes straight into the tv and as I confirmed last night, the tv only accepts 2 channel stereo input over the hdmi which really sucks.

I keep forgetting that HDMI connections are a two-way thing, and the tv was telling the source that it only accepts stero input and since I seem unable to downmix the audio at source to 2.0, I'm not getting anything out of the tv. Even if I could downmix it, I'm not sure I could do that solely on the HDMI and not affect the spdif as well as outputting on them both simultaneously.

I'm not sure how hdmi enabled amps work, but assuming I had one and it was recognised by the pc as supporting DTS/DD etc and it was capable of downmixing the hdmi output to 2.0 itself, then that might be a solution, but having just replace my sub, I don't really want to buy a new amp just for that just yet.

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom