No mouse support likely to happen for the 360 then

• Thread starter Deleted member 92943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 92943

Doesn't look like Nicrosoft want to support the mouse on the 360 then

http://www.pixelgamers.com/xbox360/news/1000841/34/new-360-controller-aims-to-end-the-mouse.html

The Xbox 360 controller is by far the most useable of all the consoles, but its still a little way off from killing the mighty mouse.

PC owners have always held the upper hand in First Person Shooters, mostly because of the accuracy the mouse has over its controller equivalent.

With this in mind Microsoft have apparently been looking at ways to improve the design and usability of the controller, aiming its sights directly at FPS junkies.

Microsoft's product unit manager for hardware Robert S. Walker, discussed the idea at Gamefest whilst talking about other Xbox 360 peripherals such as the Wireless Racing Wheel and Live Vision Camera.

Ideally Microsoft would allow us to simply plug and play with our mouse and keyboard, but this is something they are being as stubborn about as Apple were about two mouse buttons.

Walker said they are "looking at ways to modify the right analog stick on the controller to make it more conducive to the precise movements used in shooters and various other genres" according to Shacknews.

Microsoft are not new to the controller market, and produced many versions and iterations during its Sidewinder day, long before the original Xbox. Put simply, Microsoft have been trying out new things for years so to expect them to finally come up with the answer is asking for a lot.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what Microsoft offer.

Well I for one am massively pleased that MS refuse to back down on not allowing mouse support as it would put those who want to game on their sofas (ie. me) at a huge disadvantage straight off for reasons other than skill. Saying that, it's good to see they're trying to look at improving things from the present situation though, and it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

It's also on this site

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/08/16/new-360-controller-in-the-works/

New 360 controller in the works?
Posted Aug 16th 2006 10:30AM by Richard Mitchell
Filed under: News, Peripherals

Speaking at Gamefest, Microsoft hardware guru, Robert Walker Texas Ranger, spoke of a possible redesign of the 360 controller. This "advanced" -- and optional -- control would be in lieu of keyboard and mouse support -- something Microsoft still has no intention of doing. Thus, the new control would feature a redesigned right analog stick to allow for more precision, mouse-like movements. Naturally this controller would appeal mostly to gamers who prefer first person shooters and possibly RTS games.

Also worth mentioning, Walker again brought up the possibility of Mircosoft copying Nintendo designing a motion sensing controller as well, since they seem to be hot stuff these days.

So, what should Microsoft do to make their new pad more FPS friendly?

Munkey Boy said:
Well I for one am massively pleased that MS refuse to back down on not allowing mouse support as it would put those who want to game on their sofas (ie. me) at a huge disadvantage straight off for reasons other than skill. Saying that, it's good to see they're trying to look at improving things from the present situation though, and it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Totally agree. It's hard enough playing Halo 2 and the like on live as it is with some american child screaming OWNED at me because I got slaughtered.

I feel if a keyboard and mouse were released it would only exacerbate the situation. (exacerbate, what a great word).:D

Where on earth would you use the mouse? Leaning forward bent double on a coffee table?

dave1de said:
Where on earth would you use the mouse? Leaning forward bent double on a coffee table?
Many people have their 360s with their PC because the use a monitor rather than splash £2k for a HDV Widescreen.

I personally think the more choice for the gamer - the better.

i would like to play with a usb keyboard and mouse for FPS much easier.

I use a mouse quite easily sat on my sofa - either next to me, or on a tray.

Shadowrun will allow 360 and PC players to play each other. At this point they might as well just do it and give people the option.

benjones said:
I use a mouse quite easily sat on my sofa - either next to me, or on a tray.

Same here.. I use it on the arm of my sofa or the coffee table as my PC runs on my main TV 99% of the time.

I would much prefer a mouse and keyboard for the FPS games on the 360. Would be a lot better on Live too. Typing with the pad sucks.

Controller means even playing field for everyone. If im beaten or beat someone i know its 9 times out of 10 down to skill. Adding KB & Mouse into the mix is not good for consoles imo. Then you get people who buy the expensive mouses with high DPI and 8 buttons etc etc its a pain tbh. If you want KB & M go play FPS's on a PC. Added the fact that most fps's on consoles use some sort of auto aim i cant see a massive benefit in them anyways.
RandomLee said:
Typing with the pad sucks
Use a keyboard then it does work you know just not used for gaming.

I think giving choice to gamers is the best thing, if people want to use a KB and Mouse then let them.

Just think, MS could make even more by making a Mouse and KB set that will only worth with the 360 and make no other KB and Mouse to work so that its fair and people can't use the high quality gaming mice etc.

I think that if MS added the use of a KB and Mouse it would help with sales, PC gamers would consider getting one for the ease of use etc.

But hey thats just my opinion ;)

A mouse would be great, then they could release Age Of Empires.....

MDX said:
I think giving choice to gamers is the best thing, if people want to use a KB and Mouse then let them.
But giving others choice removes it for others. If I know other gamers have access to mice, I will be less likely to buy online FPSs on the 360, so it actually reduces my choice.

agreed there, not for fps, or somewhere that you can gain a distinct advantage over the next person by having spent more money, games like AoE or BFME could do with a mouse and keyboard, or some sort of command pad thing

The problem is FPS are rubbish using a control pad, i for one am not a fan at all, so give people a choice.

Some people can play better with a control pad over a KB and Mouse, i prefer using a KB and Mouse fo FPS.

Saying *well play it on a PC* doesnt help, i want to play them on the 360, not a PC that will not give the same graphics my 360 can produce.

My PC is used for playing Movies, Music and surfing the net, not for playing games, thats why my 360 is for.

Munkey Boy said:

Indeed, that has always been my view on this subject. We all know that a mouse is far more accurate but that doesn't necessarily make it better. I like many gamers prefer to just kick back with a controller in hand rather than have a keyboard balancing on the knee and a mouse on some piece of board to my right. It's simply far more comfortable and enjoyable and because everyone uses the same equipment it means that whoever is the most skillful at the game with the controller will win. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, maybe a large, touch sensitive thumb pad would be an idea. That would allow for far more delicate aiming. Another idea would be a trackball where the right stick is now. That would also allow for precise aiming as long as they could invert the vertical movements. You could give it a quick spinto rotate quickly and use gentle movements for delicate aiming. It could have a rubberised finish to it to allow the thumb to grip it well.

One other idea is maybe to use the feet? You could either have a motion sensing device strapped to a foot or almost like a flat mouse type device strapped to your foot which records movement of your foot against the floor. Moving the foot left & right turns your character and forward dips your sight and back raises your sight.

It's all about just thinking outside of the box and testing out loads of prototypes until a solution is found. Idealy everything would be contained within the controller as extra devices (such as the foot idea) get a bit messy with 2 controllers but most importantly you should not need any surfaces (apart from the floor which is always generally there and in reach) to use the device(s).

Munkey Boy said:
But giving others choice removes it for others. If I know other gamers have access to mice, I will be less likely to buy online FPSs on the 360, so it actually reduces my choice.

Indeed, I would simply never buy another 360 FPS game if M&K was allowed on the 360. Any clown using a mouse should cream someone using a pad so there would simply be no point me playing as i'd never be competitive against M&K folk. I like to kick back and relax when gaming and a pad is ideal for that. If I wanted to use an M&K then i'd play PC games - plain and simple.

ThePiousFlea said:
Shadowrun will allow 360 and PC players to play each other. At this point they might as well just do it and give people the option.

Yes but the PC version will not have auto aim and will be designed for use with an M&K. Console versions are designed to work with a pad (auto aim, different sensitivity etc.) and if both were allowed on a console then there would need to be two versions of the interface coding in each console game. It's not just a matter of having an auto aim you can turn on and off. Also I don't have to play PC gamers if I don't want to, I can stay playing against 360 owners where I know there is a level playing field.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom