1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more xbox at woolies?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by KRRK, Nov 12, 2002.

1. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed that the Xbox seems to have been dropped from Woolies xmas line up. I thought they were waiting for the new double game packs to arrive, but the till boy reckoned there was no demand (I hate it when people say that about things you ask to buy) so they have decided to concentrate on the PS2 and Gamecube. And lo, it is absent in their catalogue.

Surely this is a really bad sign for microsoft, bearing in mind woolies place in the mainstream?

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has just overtaken GC in sales. Could be bad timing from Woolies if it's true. Mind you, when was the last time a kid in a shop said anything that was remotely near the truth?

S

3. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is very true. I do like winding up the till folk sometimes, though. Bless their hearts.

But if it is true, though, I cannot see the xboxes slight lead on the Gamecube lasting all that long.

Though they still sell them on their website, so maybe till boy was just saying the first thing that came into his head. It's probably a load of rubbish. Forget I posted it!

Please delete, Mr/Mrs moderator.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who on earth buys their consoles from Woolies anyway??

The Buzz around at the minute is definately sounding great for microsoft.

"Microsoft's machine rockets 46 percent over last week's figures, GameCube stiffs on a 3 percent rise and PS2 smashes the light-barrier

The Christmas spending rush began in earnest last week as console sales rose across the board in Britain, with big winners emerging as Xbox and PlayStation 2.
    Xbox sales rose 46 percent to 15,102 in the week ending November 10. The sound you're hearing is Microsoft staffers screaming for joy, especially when you compare that figure to GameCube sales.

The Nintendo console sold 6,839 machines last week, a rise of a mere 3 percent. Game Boy Advance remained the star of Nintendo's show in the run-up to Christmas, shifting 15,557 units, a rise of 14 percent week over week.

Now for the biggy. PlayStation 2 sold 45,245 consoles in Britain last week, a 14 percent increase over the previous seven days. And with the release of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City last Friday, you can expect this week's figures to increase again. Don't underestimate, etc."

source http://www.computerandvideogames.com

5. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    well they have had a huge price drop and 2 free games as well!!
    No doubt GC and/or PS2 will reduce in price as well.

If PS2 dropped to £100 they would obliterate the market in one fell swoop!!

6. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps2 has no need to drop prices.if they sold 45,000 last week with the price at the mo,then it seems people are buying it at that price.i do agree if they did drop it down then god knows how many they would sell.the next figures for the week were in will be intresting.our local game was selling gtavice city free with ever ps2.i reckon on 60-100,000 ps2`s sold.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it comes down much more I'll have one myself to sit under the Xbox. Tomb Raider and GTA are good enough reasons.

S

8. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    markjcm800, I'll tell you who buys their consoles from woolies, people who don't know the first thing about videogames and stuff and who just want to buy the most popular console. IE the mainstream punter, whose spending power, like it or not, vastly outstrips the minority informed purchaser, esp at xmas time. Not seeing the xbox next to the ps2 is bound to do massive, probably irreperable, damage to its reputation in the eyes of this mainstream group.

Anyway, its irrelevant now. I believe woolies continues to support the xbox, so this thread is a bit redundant. Sorry.

Hey and my local Sainsburies suddenly has a load of the things on the shelf. £199 for the 2 game pack, some fighting game or other and a dvd remote control.

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't mean to be insulting (and I don't think I really am), but the uninformed consumer is going to buy a PS2 over an XBox even if both of them are right there in front of them. Simple fact, unless they've been living under a rock, they know someone who owns a PS2. Name recognition is about all that matters for ignorant consumers. (and price, but the price is comparable anyway)

They may buy a Gamecube, because the Nintendo name still sells games, but most are going to buy a PS2 anyway.

10. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i take offense [and a post :) ] in that remark about buying things from woolies.i got my cube from them with luigi mansion rogue leader mem card for under 200 quid when it was released.no other shop in my area could better it.i don`t buy software from them but they do sometimes have good deals there.

11. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know someone who buys from Woolies, well his mum works there and he gets quite a good discount.

12. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, Othello, I was generalising. Naughty.

I buy stuff from woolies all the time. It's just, well, you now, its not known for its knowledgable customers in the same way that, say GAME or EB customers might be.

Woolies people are not anoraks is what I am trying to say.

How many people will that upset? Sorry, dears.

And as for people choosing PS2 over xbox anyway, that is true, but if little Johnny asks for an xbox and busy old mum who, bless, does not know the difference nips into woolies, who are without xboxes, but only have the 'much better' PS2, then, well, you can see the point? Disaster on xmas morning and tears before bedtime.

Anyway, its all nonsense as woolies have the xbox.

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Also, you have to look at the shelf space. If you walk into your local gamestore, PS2 is everywhere, because of all the titles, whereas Gamecube and X-Box are usually tucked away somewhere.

Simply makes PS2 look more in your face. TBH there really looks like there is a market for all three at the moment, the next year will decide.

14. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be absurd to think that any console will beat the Playstation brand in terms of sales for quite a few years yet. But the landscape could look very different in 5 years time. None of the current batch may even exist then. If Enron can go under then nobody is safe. The Japanese and American economies are not exactly rosy at the mo so really, making any predictions isa waste of time.

Microsoft have done very well IMO to get the amount of sales they have. The fact that Ford and Vauxhall occupy the top of the UK sales charts and the bottom of the customer satisfaction surveys shows that brand is everything. Performance has little to do with it.

Steve

15. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but this could be down to the weird fact that as they are top of the sales chart and, thus, have more sales, thus, a larger user base, there are more people to complain about their performance.

Oooo, and I saw a great xbox deal today, Console, GT2002, Blinx and jet set radio future for £179 at......Woolies.