1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No More Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by JerryBolton, Aug 22, 2005.

1. JerryBolton

JerryBolton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont panic, it's only me that has to go without! :oops:

I am moving house and have been told that I cannot fit a satellite dish to the outside of the house. Something about the covenants on the house! Don’t ask me, talk to my solicitor!

The house does have a Telewest connection so all is not lost, but how can I get all that functionality back? I regularly use the record 2 programs at the same time, the series link functions etc etc. I know very little about TIVO and even less about the Telewest cable functions. Can anyone help?

:lease:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Could you not get a dish fitted at ground level in the garden instead?

John

3. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah fit it to the shed or floor based. Doesn't HAVE to be fixed to a wall. No substitute for SKY + :)

4. JerryBolton

JerryBolton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There may be some way to get the dish fitted at ground level, but I was very worried about signal quality etc. The line of sight from ground level would certainly be very obstructed.

5. GreasyWeasel

GreasyWeasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is it a new house you are moving to? We were told the same thing for our last house. But we actually discovered that all you had to do was get permission of the developers who still owned the "site". They happily gave us permission as long as it wasn't on the front of the house. I think they do this so that they can sell all the houses before people start plastering the fronts of house with dishes which doesn't look that great. Mind you there were a number of people on the estate that put them up without permission and nothing happened to them, I guess all they can really do is make you take it down again.

6. JerryBolton

JerryBolton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar situation at a previous new house, but unfortunately the one I'm buying now is 125 years old and in an area that has strict rules and where a can't see another dish anywhere nearby. I might have to put the dish up and see what happens! :D

No one got an opinion on the Digital Cable with Tivo option? Can I get anywhere like the same functionality with this?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    TW will be launching their DVR which spec wise is more than a match for SKY+ but no word on date, price or performance at this time although it should appear this year.

8. poshngoldenball

poshngoldenball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following is the info we've just received from Sky containing the first confirmed details they've released on their upcoming high definition service...

"22 August 2005 -- British Sky Broadcasting (Sky) today announced the first details of the channels it will offer on its forthcoming High Definition (HD) television service launching in the UK and Ireland in early 2006. From launch, Sky HD, will include a Sky Sports channel, Sky One, Artsworld, a Sky Box Office channel and two Sky Movies screens, allowing viewers to enjoy a wide variety of programming with the intensity and rich detail of HD pictures.

The company is in advanced discussions with a number of other channels interested in offering an HD service on digital satellite and details will be announced over the coming months.

From launch, the Sky Sports channel will offer live and exclusive coverage of the Barclays Premiership in HD with the added benefit of Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Also available in HD will be live rugby from the Guinness Premiership, with other HD sports to be confirmed later.

From Sky Movies there will be two HD screens dedicated to films in HD, with titles available at launch including Spider Man 2, The Day After Tomorrow and House of Flying Daggers. In addition, movie fans will able to choose from up to ten movies in HD each week on Sky Box Office.

A simulcast version of the existing Sky One channel will deliver high-quality entertainment programming with a range of Sky One shows and cutting edge series in HD.

Sky HD's simulcast version of the existing Artsworld channel will offer a selection of arts programming including opera, dance, and classical music. The quality of HD broadcasts will transform the viewing experience offering stunning picture and sound quality, bringing alive performances of a wide range of artistic genres on the UK's only dedicated arts and culture channel.

Sky is also announcing that consumers in the UK will be able to pre-register for Sky HD in retail stores from Friday 26 August. First to launch the pre-registration service will be Comet and selected independent retailers, with other retailers to follow soon after. This will offer customers the opportunity to be among the first to receive Sky's HD service in the UK.

Brian Sullivan, Sky's Director of Customer Products and Services, said: "The launch of high definition will be the start of an exciting new era in broadcasting and Sky HD will offer stunning picture and sound quality for a broad selection of programmes. When this choice of viewing is combined with the Sky+ functionality of the Sky HD box, consumers who upgrade to HD Ready television sets can look forward to a viewing experience that will be truly transformed."

9. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Mount the dish in the least obtrusive position and paint it (and the LNB and cable) so it blends with the background.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    We had the same with our previous house when we wanted to build a conservatory. It was a mere formality. As far as I'm aware, deeds of covenant are not legally enforceable.

11. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    TiVo fans would argue that TiVo has WAYYYYYYYYY more functionality than Sky+ (especially if you have more than one :) ).

The metadata is far superior.
    Obviously the picture quality won't be as good, but it can be improved with hacks (look for 'mode 0') and SDI can be added.
    Once you add a network card you get serious new functionality.

A pair of 800GB TiVos networked with cachecards will put you in TV heaven :)

1600 hours of TV with amazing flexibility.

Another obvious downside is cost once you have the upgrades done, and the smaller lineup of channels on cable versus Sky.
    Then again you probably won't lose your Sky signal in very heavy thunderstorms.

12. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are enforcebale, but with a 125 year old house it is unlikely the person who has the benefit of the covenant no even knows about it.

Sounds like JerryBolton's problen is that he is in a conservation area where dishes aren't permitted or are restricted.

13. JerryBolton

JerryBolton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right. The problem is that being 125 years old satellite dishs weren't specifically covered in the covenants (!) but it is covered with phrases to do with the look and feel of the place. None of the other houses in the row have a dish up, so I would (will) be the first.

The other covenants I dont mind so much like not hanging my washing out on a line on a Sunday! :lesson:

14. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Another alternative is to get a disguised Sky dish that looks like a garden flower pot or umbrella and hope no-one notices.