No more Sharp GA3's or GA4's - discontinued?

I have looked at the manual of the 26GA5U on the US site and it seems that the speakers are permanently attached. The US one seems to look like the GA4 series but there is no mention of the panel response time on the website or manual. The US one definitely has DVI-I input though.

I placed an order for a 26GA4E on Sunday and received an email saying that they were out of stock and are expecting a new batch in 1-2 weeks. My order status was saying "Awating Delivery" when I first ordered, but now seems to have no status. I am not sure whether it is being discontinued. The website I ordered from used to have the 26GA3E when I ordered but that seems to have disappeared and there is now the 26GA5 instead. There is also over £100 difference between the 26GA4E and 26GA5. It doesn't seem to make sense to put the supposedly inferior 26GA5 model at a more expensive price.

The GA3/4 are just out of stock everywhere, not discountinued. I've been told by Sharp twice now.

Screens in the US always seem to have better connections than the ones over here.

from what ive been told there is no dvi and they have dropped the 2hundred and something page teletext memorie to 10 pages the set is lower speced but the pictures supposed to be better ??????? thats wot the man from sharp said

There aren't any details on the panel being used yet, so no one knows. It might be the same panel, but with fewer features.

Just taken a look at Sharpusa.com and it seems version 6 (GD6U whatever) does have detatchable speakers. Unfortunately these are the one that come with a digital tuner built in, but it might also be a glimpse into their thoughts that they will bring out a GA6E with DVI and detatchable speakers.

All of the screens are quoted to have <16ms response time. Nothing about 9ms.

Richie.

the panel has a new image gimmick like the new 30" Home Cinema state the screen is same quality as others on the 30", it got an average review because its mediabox was caxton shanty

My GA3e arrived today

The Ironduke said:
the panel has a new image gimmick like the new 30" Home Cinema state the screen is same quality as others on the 30", it got an average review because its mediabox was caxton shanty

Is that the GA5 or the Gx6 in the US ?

The Ironduke said:
My GA3e arrived today

B*****d ! :)

richjthorpe said:
Is that the GA5 or the Gx6 in the US ?

B*****d ! :)

can I just say one more Time!

my GA3E arrived Today :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :clap:

:smashin: oh and you should have bought from Electrical world u fruitcakes :smashin:

The Ironduke said:
can I just say one more Time!

my GA3E arrived Today :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :clap:

Be careful mate, people will be wish dead pixels on you and no replacements available...! :eek:

I got mine last week and it's lovely. Good choice.

uczmeg said:
Be careful mate, people will be wish dead pixels on you and no replacements available...! :eek:

I got mine last week and it's lovely. Good choice.

now u have jinxed me u b*stard :mad:

Just got a reply from Chris at Aquos. I will post my questions but will change the wording in the reply from the email.......

Q. Is the GA3/4 series being discontinued and no other units are to be
sold in the UK ?

A. GA3/4 are sold out and there will NOT be any more stock from the factory. The model will be then deemed discontinued.

Q. I have heard that the GA5 has built in speakers and no DVI input.
Is this correct ?

A. Yes.

Q. Will there be a direct replacement of the GA3/4 range with
detachable speakers and DVI/HDMI input after the GA5 has been released ?

A. There isn't anything in the pipeline but this isn't deffinate.

Q. I see that you have the Widescreen range which is similar to the GA
series. Does the 30HV4E have a DVI input ?

A. This model doesn't have the DVI input that you require.

I'll say it again........ B*****D !!!!!!! :censored: :censored: :(

But how do we know for sure that he is telling the truth. Im no brain surgeon or rocket scientist but it seems daft if they are replacing a top selling model with an inferior one. Surely it would be logical to replace it with a superior model or make more!!

What are we not being told!!! :(

Gpc1

Let's face it - the current range of 32"+ LCDs are too expensive for the average consumer, they're going to be bought by people such as those who read this forum. Those potential customers are not going to be happy with a couple of SCART inputs, they'll want DVI for either their DVD player or PC to connect up with. In my opinion Sharp are making a huge mistake by removing DVI as an input - I know I personally won't consider getting anything which doesn't have one.

I'm still holding out some hope that I will get my LC37GA3E but if I don't then I certainly won't be going for Sharp as they no longer have DVI. It may only be one sale but I'm sure there are quite a few others who feel as I do and at 2K/each, that's a lot of money. If my order does fall through then I'll be waiting until the new year and hopefully a price reduction on the Philips so that it drops under the 2K mark. I have a firm set of requirements and Sharp were the only company who had been able to do it - 37"+ LCD, 1366x768 or greater true 16:9 resolution and DVI input for under 2K.

Good luck all those who have orders, I however will be doing all I can to get my order fulfilled.

I'm still not totally convinced. Two people at Sharp have told me it's just out of stock at the moment, and not discontinued.

Q. Will there be a direct replacement of the GA3/4 range with
detachable speakers and DVI/HDMI input after the GA5 has been released ?

A. There isn't anything in the pipeline but this isn't deffinate.

I was told the Sharp LC32G5EA would eventually replace it.

But isn't replaced and discontinued essentially the same thing? Both suggest you aren't going to be able to buy one anymore...

Here's the reply I just got via email from Sharp...

Thanks for your e-mail.

The Sharp Aquos adverts promote the Aquos range. There are 18 different Aquos models ranging from 13" to 45" in size.

Sharp will not be ordering any more GA3/GA4 models from our factory in Japan as the lead time is about 6 months.

Stock of the GA range was meant to last until March 2005, but sales have been much stronger than we forecast on this particular range. We have no stock in the Sharp warehouse in Manchester.

Sharp will not be ordering any more GA3/GA4 models from our factory in Japan as the lead time is about 6 months.

It looks a bit cut-and-paste to me considering they repeated the same line twice. I've no idea how it can possibly take them 6 months to get hold of new models. In any case it seems like different people have very different stories. If people really want GA3E/GA4E models then we just need to make enough fuss about it. :smashin:

Found some (LC32GA3)! Try http://www.jibelectrical.co.uk/ - £1338

Also, one friendly supplier reckons that Sharp may reconsider the situation since there is so much demand - he said they're a bit taken aback and don't want to alienate all the potential customers - apparently they hadn't realised the level of demand...

gpc1 said:
But how do we know for sure that he is telling the truth. Im no brain surgeon or rocket scientist but it seems daft if they are replacing a top selling model with an inferior one. Surely it would be logical to replace it with a superior model or make more!!

What are we not being told!!! :(

Gpc1

Lets take this in a timeline....

Sharp release GA3/4 series.
Sales are crap.
Warehouse is full.
Executive decision is to scrap the series in the UK.
Sharp UK don't order any more from factory in Japan.
Sharp design new unit that will cost less (GA5).
To get rid of the stock, they drop the price of GA3/4.
The price drop gets passed on to customer.
Demand goes through the roof.
No more GA3/4.
Sharp look stupid and fire the executive who made the stupid decision.

And that is where we are now.....although I can't confirm the last bit.

Richie.

uczmeg said:
But isn't replaced and discontinued essentially the same thing? Both suggest you aren't going to be able to buy one anymore...

Well he said it would eventually replace it. That could me 6 months away for all we know.

Is there anywhere to buy the 32GA4E now, at a reasonable price?

Skiny said:
I was told the Sharp LC32G5EA would eventually replace it.

I was asking for a direct replacement where there would be a model with detachable speaker, DVI input and analogue tuner. The GA5 doesn't have the first 2.

Discontinued or not , they are still available to buy- mine has just been delivered courtesy of SVC and extremely happy with it I am too. Now I am just waiting for the wall bracket so I can finish the installation.

richjthorpe said:
I was asking for a direct replacement where there would be a model with detachable speaker, DVI input and analogue tuner. The GA5 doesn't have the first 2.

Hehe, sorry, I made a mistake. I saw the "LC32G5EA" as a whole new model number - missed the typo.

It sucks that they're replacing it with a pos like the GA5. I don't know if I should get a GA4 now while I can, or wait until January/February.

Well gutted :mad:
Got an email from sharp confirming no more GA3 or GA4 stocks will be coming to the UK . Also got it confirmed from empiredirect that they cannot source any of these - so my order will not be fullfilled :mad:

Do not want a GA5 so might wait till mid 2005 now when the prices are expected to fall by 30% on all lcd

And can I just say BOLLO** !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom