1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more Sharp GA3's or GA4's - discontinued?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by woody67, Nov 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Having placed an order with an online retailer for a GA3E, I was recently informed that this range has now been discontinued and all stock has gone, and Sharp will not be supplying any more.

Apparently the range will be replaced with a GA5 model.

Can anyone confirm this?

Is the spec of the GA5 the same - apart from the fixed speaker?

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I would find that information astonishing (if true). The 3 & 4 series were only intoduced into the UK about 3-4 months ago. (and feature heavily in the latest Sharp brochures) The 5 series was designed as a low budget version to sit alongside the higher spec. models and not as a direct replacement. However, in the crazy world of consumer electronics anything is possible i suppose! There are a few features missing from the 5 series, can't remember them all but fixed rather than swivel stand and no DVI input were a couple as well as the fixed speaker you mentioned. There must be quite a few other omissions as i do recall that the price for the 5 series was considerably lower.
    Why don't you give SHARP a call or visit their website? The reps do respond to any emails that you send (may take a couple of days)

3. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quickie,

Are the speakers on the LC-32ga4e detachable??

many thanks
    Greg

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was suprised too.

There is little information about the GA5 series, and non on the Sharp site. However it seems to be retailing at a slightly higer price - which seems odd for an inferior product

5. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    GPC1,

The website certainly suggest that the speakers are detachable.

http://www.sharp.co.uk/aquos_tv/range/products/product.asp?id=34

This has been a feature of previous models.

Woody67,

To let you know, i have just recently finished working in the Audio & Video dept of a major Department store. I was given all the information by a rep. from Sharp around 5 months ago. I also had a list of all the trade prices for each model. The cost of the 5 series was DEFINITELY a lot less. However, it is worth remembering that although the 5 series was advertised by some websites at least 3 months ago, those models had NOT yet gone into production! I do not think you will see these models until early 2005. Please contact SHARP as they are usually very helpful. One other thing that has just struck me is that SHARP are apparently offering certain models only via bricks & mortar stores ie no online sales! Perhaps they have decided to do this with the 3 & 4 series?

6. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Speakers definately detachable on GA4E, captain how's the sony PS2 going, did you ever get round to removing the reflective screen?

7. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: Cheers captain,

Missed the small print about the protuberances :laugh: :rolleyes: ( why they couldny just say ' detachable speakers' i dont know!!) :laugh: :rolleyes:

8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could the whole 'Discontinued GA3/GA4' be a ploy to get people buying the Sharp LCD's on the run up to Christmas ?

9. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I doubt it - as I can't buy one!

10. thedark

thedark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, new to this forum but have reading up the last few days about these Sharps.

Just nabbed the last 32GA3 from tvandvideodirect.com. The chap was very helpful and said they are expecting another 12 GA3s in next week, but no more GA4s. Flatdeals said no more GA3s or 4s.

11. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn!!!! :mad: :eek:

The lc-32ga4e screen was on my shortlist of three. It was just pipping the others and was gonna wait until jan/feb to get one. Hope ther arnt being discontinued!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. thedark

thedark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The lady at flatdeals said they were being discontinued and that the new model is the GA5. av-sales have the GA4 listed with December as availability so you could give them a call.

13. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May take a look. Empire were doing them for 1250...wonder if they have some left?

14. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369

no the stocks of the GA3/4 have come down in price, they started around 2000 and retail in many street stores for near that price.

The GA5e hasnt even been released but is starting at a lower RRP price

15. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    sup dude I ordered a GA3e today from them, funny thing is a GA4e came up on my order, they called me earlier but I was out, I have a feeling they are either not getting any or just a batch of GA4E's, they are calling me again at 6pm

16. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    When I was talking to Robert Whyte the other day they told me the 26" 4E was discontinued, but didn't say the 3E was (I bought a 3E).

They said if I prefered the 4E because of the speakers at the side then I could have the replacement, 5E, but did point out whilst the same price it had fixed speakers and lack of a DVI socket on it. Didn't sound good to me!

Cheers
    Marc

17. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    just got the call back from empire the changed my order to a GA3e and said they will be here in the next 10-15 days and will be with people (me) within 20 days.

18. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nothing from Flatdeal about my order for a GA4E yet. I'm happy if they change it to a GA3 but certainly not a GA5.

19. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  20. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Well only had a quick play with my 26" 3E.

LOVELY!

Blows away the Logik I had for a few weeks,

21. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. patterson

patterson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

This is my first post although I have been surfing these boards for some time in my quest to find a new TV and DVD player / recorder. After much deliberation (and a lot of persuading the wife) I eventually ordered a Sharp 32GA4E from Empire last week.

However, after reading the postings here I was a bit suprised to hear that the GA4E had been discontinued. I actually spoke to Empire this morning asking for an update on my order and they assured me that they should be getting some in next week.

I'm the suspicious type as I've been misled / lied to before by retailiers - Not Empire I hasten to add. So does anybody know whether the GA4E is still in production or should I expect a call next week from Empire telling me that I'm getting the inferior GA5E (according to the details in this posting)?

Any info will be greatly appreciated as it will put my mind to rest over this matter.

Thanks

P

:lease:

23. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The info I had is that there are no plans for Sharp to ship any more units, and once the retailers stocks or recent orders are fulfilled, then thats it.

Whats the general concensus on the GA5 models? Just how are they inferior?
    Are they worth the money or are there now better options at that price?

I only really wanted a nice screen and something to connect a HCPC to.

24. patterson

patterson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info woody.

According to the posts I've read, the GA5 doesn't have the DVI port. I'm not too fussed by the fact that the speakers won't be removable but one of the main reasons I chose the GA4 was due to the DVI port. Flatdeal.com are selling the GA5 but I'm not too sure about the spec they are quoting (or the pic) as it looks a lot like the GA3 - http://www.flatdeal.com/lc32ga5e.htm

I'm surprised by Sharp's move to discontinue the GA3 & 4 to bring out a lower spec model but I suppose we still don't know whether this is definitely true.

Sharp may be lowering the spec on their best selling models so that they can pitch them at a lower price, thus making them more appealing to a wider market? Who knows??

Either way, it took me the bet part of three months to decide on the Sharp and I'll be very peeved if I don't get the GA4

25. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone here know if they're really being discountinued? Has Sharp told anyone directly?

It makes no sense to replace the GA3E/4E with something worse.

26. luce_ds

luce_ds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank G_D I ordered my GA4E last week. The guy said he had 2 left out of 22. Getting it on tuesday!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

27. sirteuk

sirteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I ordered the LC26GA3E from svcdirect.co.uk on Wednesday afternoon (24/11).
    Got a call from Citylink 8.00AM on Thursday(25/11) to say they were delivering same day.
    I was going out yesterdy so its arriving today.
    Brilliant service from SVC.Total cost £968.00

svcdiect.co.uk

28. luce_ds

luce_ds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I placed my order on thursday 18th but digital direct said that they were expecting the stock the next day and it didn't turn up. So I spoke to them yesterday and they said they were on their way to go and pick it up from Sharp themsleves.... Very friendly on the phone and they sound like a good buch of guys...
    Anyway the guy said I should get it on tuesday hopefully before sky come over and install my dish and stuff... :D :D :D

29. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, both of these may be true. I rang seven different web sellers last week and only one - 'shopatdigital', based in Leeds, had any in stock. It was a bit dearer than some of the other places, but they actually had a set and they delivered it two days after my order.

I was shocked about the lack of stock, esp given that these sets have been quite heavily advertised on TV, so I asked a couple of sellers why they had no stock. None said that they were being discontinued. They just said the usual stuff about bottlenecks in supply etc. Apparently the GA4E has also proved much more popular than the 3E.

In short, it's difficult to say without contacting Sharp (and even then the chances of getting an accurate response are limited. For instance, at one stage in my inquiries about the Tosh 32WL48 I was informed that the Toshiba UK 'product manager' could verify that the HDMI input was fully DVI compatible. This is wrong). But, I would bet that they have *not* been discontinued. It's a pain, but you have to ring around. Don't rely on the websites. Most of these etailers will never in fact get stock of many of the products they claim to sell at the prices stated. This has been a standard practice in dotcom for several years now.

If any of you have any questions about the 4E, fire away. :)

30. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know much about supplies ect but i wouldnt have thought they are being discontinued. Last night i saw an advert for the sharp Aquos range on TV. I would imagine that demand has surpassed supply and at present the UK stocks have dried up. You have to remember that LCD tvs for most people are still either out of reach or just not appealing because of all the technology involved. Most people do not know about HDTV ect and associate flatscreen tv's with large price tags thus buying a new CRT tv with which they are familiar and can be picked up for a couple of hundred quid.So sharp probably hedged their bets and didnt oversupply to the UK.

But this is just a theory.....who knows the real reason why, could be anything and i doubt you would get a straight answer from anywhere.

IMHO
    Gpc