No more paper road tax discs for your vehicles

Doesn't paying by DD add a significant premium? I got a letter about this recently but the cost by DD seemed way too high.

Even better

You will no longer need to make a separate application for a refund of vehicle tax. DVLA will automatically issue a refund when a notification is received from the person named on DVLA vehicle register that the:

• vehicle has been sold or transferred
  • vehicle has been scrapped at an Automated Treatment Facility
  • vehicle has been exported
  • vehicle has been stolen
  • vehicle has been removed from the road and the person on the vehicle register has made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • person on the vehicle register has changed the tax class on the vehicle to an exempt duty tax class
  • person on the vehicle register has taken out new vehicle tax as part of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) scheme (Standard Rate Mobility Element)

Doesn't paying by DD add a significant premium? I got a letter about this recently but the cost by DD seemed way too high.

There will be no additional handling fees for annual payments but to limit the impact on the public finances there will be a small surcharge of 5% of vehicle tax for biannual and monthly payments. This is half of the 10% surcharge that is currently applied to 6 monthly tax discs and which has been in existence for a number of decades.

So now it's going to be even easier to pop into the next town, find a car the same make/model as your one, get some number plates made and nothing on you car to show anything is iffy.

I remember a while ago there was some call for more details to be on the screen to be read and checked easily.

How do you get some number plates? I thought they clamped down on getting dodgy plates done years ago?

Note that car tax is no longer transferable. Thanks to the budget the chancellor gets the part month that was left.

How do you get some number plates? I thought they clamped down on getting dodgy plates done years ago?

Note that car tax is no longer transferable. Thanks to the budget the chancellor gets the part month that was left.

As far as I know you just buy show plates, Ebay or other places, they will make anything you want, you just must not use them on the road.

All electric car, no vehicle tax..............more money to remain in my pocket.

I remember a while ago there was some call for more details to be on the screen to be read and checked easily.
I like the way they do it here (Jersey). We don't have tax discs, we have insurance discs instead. Your reg number and Insurers details are clearly visible.

It's quite easy to Police it here though, might be a bit harder in the real world.

Thankfully I won't have to pretend to be able to cut in a perfect circle, along the helpful perforated lines, (which actually didn't help) and usually cut a chunk out of the important bits of the tax disc.

[QUOaptainarchive, post: 20595527, member: 133173"]They could diversify.[/QUOTE]
No!! Really.

mine runs out end of October so will I not get a vehicle excise disc? or will they be fazed out

Bang goes my hobby of seeing who's tax disc is out of date and getting annoyed :(

As I said earlier, I do wonder what the bigger picture will be.
Ok, it will save the government some money in direct payments to companies who physically produce the paper tax discs, and some delivery costs and admin work.

On the other hand, I guess this will also lead to some layoffs somewhere, you can't stop making and distributing millions of physical items every year without some people losing out.

Likewise, now there will be nothing on a car to identify it, other than the number plate which can be got around for £15 I can't see the incidence of people doing this (to vanish off the radar totally) to decrease. If anything, it will increase.

Would that, in insurance, police and court time end up costing more in the longer term?

I love technology and new gadgets, but it does seem sort sighted and dumb beyond measure to remove ANY means of a general method of identifying a car from the outside.

If we legal car drivers (such as myself who has never driven without paying all I should do) DO pay and have proof. It's a shame such proof cannot be displayed on a windscreen, perhaps in a manner that it's easy for someone to check up. Insurance, MOT, Tax.

I pay them all legally, always have done. And would be happy to have 1 card that displayed this on view.
Now, it's been made super easy to pay none, drive without anything, just by buying some plates, and no one, not even the police car travelling behind you that reads your plate and see's all ok, all paid up, will have a clue you have not paid anything.

They should make the penalties if caught with false number plates much stiffer. I'm not sure what they are at the moment but I bets it's a something like a fine. If it's not so already it should be seizing the car on the spot and crushing it together with a custodial sentence or driving ban.

They should make the penalties if caught with false number plates much stiffer. I'm not sure what they are at the moment but I bets it's a something like a fine. If it's not so already it should be seizing the car on the spot and crushing it together with a custodial sentence or driving ban.

Indeed, totally agree.
There are many laws you can break my not knowing something, making a mistake, spur of the moment decision or just not thinking.
There is no way you can accidentally get number plates made with the same number as an identical car as yours, perhaps 2 towns away.
Or course, it's not the same type of crime as physically attacking someone, it's more like a "cheating the system crime" than something I'd consider directly violent to another human. Those are the crimes that should ALWAYS be treated the most harshly, and I get annoyed about when they get a light sentence.

Perhaps a better way would simply, like many other things. Make number plates better, with more security in them (perhaps a microchip, Holographic stamp section, anything) that's VERY hard to copy. that may possibly help to solve a good percentage.

Sticky plastic vinyl numbers on a reflective background behind some clear plastic is not exactly cutting edge tech!

I guess its swings and roundabouts. Tax disc fraud is apparently big business too so it will put an end to that. Also cars getting broken into for their tax disc. Scrapping the disc seems a logical step forward to me.

No redundancies at the DVLA with this introduction, staff to be redeployed.

BBC News - Tax disc change job loss fears allayed at Swansea DVLA

Do they own the factory and employ the staff that print the actual discs?
Or are they just talking about Admin staff here?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom