1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No More Greyhawks!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Spaniard, Feb 26, 2001.

1. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I have just had an email from Jason at AVS forum who gives me the bad news that they cant do the offer on the screen any longer to us guys in europe. Apparently the dealers over here have been crying to Stewart saying it was ruining their trade! They haven't even got them yet!! ****ers!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Hi Spaniard...

It's me I'm the w*****. I complained to the UK distributor that there was no point in me having a Stewart screen on dem ( at serious expense) and recommending them when it was possible for customers to buy direct from the US at a cost of less than I could buy it from them. This was for all screens not just Greyhawk.

I was actually hoping that Stewart would get off their arses and give the UK distributor a better price so that we could all gain. Don't worry though. I'm sure there are other dealers in the States who'll supply you. Ultimately they will realise it's a global market and they can't constrain free trade this way.

I'm sick to death of working out prices and specs of screens for folk, only for them to go and buy them from abroad. Perhaps I should register as a charity!

I'm sorry that this is the result. I was hoping for a more thought out response from the manufacturer. I do not apologise for my actions though.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

[This message has been edited by Gordon, StereoStereo (edited 26-02-2001).]

3. PhilA

PhilA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to sneak a quick order in for a Grayhawk just before Gordon skuppered our chances of getting the 10% discount or even nil discount from AVS.

Two small problems though, I don't actually have a projector or a good story to tell mission control when this ****ing great 1/2 cwt parcel arrives on the doorstep. Anyone got some good suggestions? She's going to think I'm out of my tiny little mind spending 2000 quid on a grey sheet without even seeing it!!!

I must admit I do sympathise with Gordon as I'm sure he was acting in our best interests. He gives us all a hell of a lot of good advice for nothing, that is sadly lacking from most of the dealers I've spoken to.

This is yet another typical example of rip-off Britain - what I would like to know is, is it the dealers or the manufacturers who are cashing in and regulating the prices in the UK.

If I ever get a projector I'll let you know how the screen performs. If I don't, this could be the only cheap unused Greyhawk for sale in the UK!

Phil

4. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    So come on then Gordon, and I do understand your plight! Its just the same old game that all of us over here are being taken for mugs like we are, or at least were, in the car trade. At least things are getting a little better there!

How much can you supply a five or six feet wide screen in 16:9 format for. Give the prices for the one you suggested me to go for and also price for a manual retractable. My wife isn't too keen on the permanent grey rectangle idea! If you cant do this then what is your suggestion, I dont fancy messing about with tins of dulux paint!

Regards

The Spaniard

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    A good question - I think its the distributors that are the main problem, not the dealers or manufacturers, but ..... by chance I had the privilege of seeing the paperwork for a screen purchase by the A/V unit at my work - US manufacturer price to the dealer $540 (ex. shipping, didn't see any mention of vat etc), price from dealer to my employer £995! Suffice to say, having previously imported a screen for myself, I got the deal cancelled and imported another one direct for £620 all in.

I'm in no doubt though that the distributers are the real culprits, they can charge us what they want without fear of competition, but there are some dealers who are no doubt cashing in on the oppurtunity to fleece the general public. (I exclude Gordon from this, I have no doubt at all that he was trying to get us all a better deal!)

Given the savings involved, its well worth importing - yes, there are risks but I for one believe they are worth it! I'd hesitate to import something particularly delicate but in the past I've imported various pieces of hardware - 2 screens, 2 DVD players, a VCR, a computer and various coputer parts too many to mention - not a single hitch amongst the lot!
    Paul

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    OK guys,

How about this for a laugh. I give you my best price for a Stewart screen and you give me your best quotes from foreign dealers.

You'll have to give me their names and prices so I can use them as leverage against UK distributer and Stewart.

I'll give you more info about how international trade works tomorrow

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

7. Marky UK

Marky UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Yes it is.

Lets not get on a downer against them though. They've invested alot of dosh in Stewart. They have stock, they have reps on the road, they provide instant quotes to dealers who don't have the requisite software or knowledge, they advise on the best solutions for your clients, they fix things if anything goes wrong (quickly) and for all that outlay they get shafted by Stewart.......

Nice!

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

9. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Quote from Don Stewart (head of Stewart Screens) when asked why price was so high in UK compared to US;

"In the U.K. we use a local privately owned distributor. That same distributor may also distribute for 5 or 6 other small companies with AV related products such as speakers, cables, remote control systems etc. It is the distributor that calls and services the local dealers and systems integrators. We do not have control nor can we legally set the local pricing. The only leverage that we have on a distributor is: "If they are not doing a good job then we will find someone else".
    I do know that some overseas customers do beat the system by ordering products via the internet from North American dealers. We see at least 2 or 3 units going out a day to American Dealers with the tell-tell sign on the box: "220 Volt-50Hz only" "

Full conversation at www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000457.html

Someone isn't telling the truth about the extortionate prices we are being asked to pay in the UK - good service and support dosen't mean they can double the price! I didn't want to say too much about this but given that AVS now appear to have dropped shipping Stewart screens to the UK (because of pressure from the UK distributer?) it might be best if we didn't openly divulge our US sources and prices for screens in case others then use the information to close yet more doors in our faces and continue to rip us off.

Don't mean to upset anyone but thats what I feel.
    Paul

[This message has been edited by PaulB (edited 02-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by PaulB (edited 03-03-2001).]

10. PhilA

PhilA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon

The inference from your response is that the American Distributors and Suppliers don't have to advertise and don't have to provide any service and that is why the screens are so much cheaper in the US.

This is obviously not the case and whichever way you look at it, someone (either the US manufacturer or the UK distributor - because it's clearly not the retailers like yourself) appears to be making an obscene profit out of the UK market.

Phil

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Phil,

The UK distributor for a product has to carry out the same sort of service as the US manufacturer. The manufacturer gets goods considerably cheaper than the distributor......

If the UK distributor gets goods at the same cost as the US dealer then that is unreasonable. I'd say that even in they get 10% less than US dealers that too may be unreasonable. I don't know how much either party charges US dealers and UK distributors. I only know how much they cost me and how much we can all buy them direct from the US......

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Paul,

You are right, someone isn't telling the truth.

Anders and Kern have to pay for the guys they put on the road providing back up and service to dealers. They have to pay for stock. They have to pay for advertising and marketing of the product ranges they carry.

To do this they need to make some money. Now, I don't know how much margin they make but I can tell you that I've had exemplary service from them whenever I've had a problem. I could buy product from suppliers in the US at less than it costs to get it from Anders and Kern but it'd have cost me dearly by now in shipping stuff back to these foreign countries, whereas a phone call to Anders and Kern sorted it out.

I wonder, just as you do who is making the money.

It's a global market. As the internet grows we all become much more aware of how we can get the best value and service we require. Not just end users but dealers as well. I don't think it'll be too long before there are no high street shops where you'll be able to go for a dem. Give it 3 years.

If I was a distributor I'd be worried as well. For manufacturers who have worldwide markets and suitable products it would seem that dealing direct with the dealer would offer a more economic solution. Consistent worldwide pricing would be closer to reality.

All the best,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo