No more curved screens !

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like LG and Sony have announced no more curved or bendy screens at long last .

Another tech thrusted upon us that has failed to pick up thank god .

I like curved screens, i have one and prefer them to flat,

is their a petition i can sign to get curved screens back.

I like curved screens, i have one and prefer them to flat,

is their a petition i can sign to get curved screens back.
I can't stand curved screens myself, but I'd be happy to sign such a petition, if it existed. Choice is good. :)

I wondered why there were more curved screens on offer in my local currys store .

They must of known something
And thats a first ;)

Curved screens are a complete abomination. Glad to hear of their demise.

Was pretty much LG's fault for starting all the curved screen gimmick by making their 980 oled stand out from the other sets. Then samsung pissed on their bonfire by making their led/lcd sets curved as well to confuse the public, then everyone else jumped on the curve screen bandwagon. I prefer a flat screen but the Oled curve wasn't too bad compared to Samsung sets.

I didn't buy an OLED for ages because all the 1080 sets in 55" were curved, but after living with it is is fine and I think I would actually miss it now.

The curve is really subtle anyway...

DSC02668 (1).jpg

What about ultra HD ? Is that likely to take off ??

I'm happy enough with HD to be honest .

I don't think I could cope with Kay Burley in ultra HD !!

Just don't watch Sky News in the afternoon & you should be fine :hiya:

Again if your close enough to screen then yes you can see the diff
And the bigger the screen the better as such and yo have to be in the sweet spot as such to benefit more .

Only time will tell if UHD takes off but its getting there slowly with UHD blu ray discs and netflix UHD and more and more coming in UHD

My local tescos sell UHD blu's

And the price of curved screen's will drop soon and the used prices will plummet even more so .
Price of getting new tech as such .

I don't mind curved screens, but it made my girlfriend more motion sick when playing games so I changed back to a flat and it took me a while to adjust back as it looked like it bent outwards haha

Why the hate?
Why the hate of 'the hate'?

But seriously, 4K is not the same as 3d or curved screens. It's an increase in resolution and not an accessory. Ok, I know curved isn't specifically an accessory but you know what I mean - it's an option.

All new tvs will eventually be 4K and everyone will end up with it. There will be a further increase in resolution again at a future point but 4K is the next standard resolution after 1080p and here to stay.

Why the hate of 'the hate'?

But seriously, 4K is not the same as 3d or curved screens. It's an increase in resolution and not an accessory. Ok, I know curved isn't specifically an accessory but you know what I mean - it's an option.

All new tvs will eventually be 4K and everyone will end up with it. There will be a further increase in resolution again at a future point but 4K is the next standard resolution after 1080p and here to stay.
So why the hate?

One thing I noticed on a curved screen was the white line along the edge of a football pitch curved with the screen. It could be argued that's a minor irrelevance but it's still a distortion of the image which is an absolute no-no for me I'm afraid.

At last one stupid gimmick bites the dust. I could never understand why anyone would buy a curved screen. I am sorry though that 3D screens are also getting dropped as I do like the images offered by 3D and not just the over the top items shooting out of the screen but the image of depth offered. Perhaps once the no glasses process has been solved we might see 3D screens being reintroduced.

I find 3D a bit of a gimmick as well.
It is WOW ! for the first 10 mins then it gets tiring and the projected image is darker than normal as well.
I would sooner the manufactures spent more on developing a better 2d projector than wasting so much time and money on a gimmick.
Even our kids don`t bother with 3D so it is not just us oldies!

At last one stupid gimmick bites the dust. I could never understand why anyone would buy a curved screen. I am sorry though that 3D screens are also getting dropped as I do like the images offered by 3D and not just the over the top items shooting out of the screen but the image of depth offered. Perhaps once the no glasses process has been solved we might see 3D screens being reintroduced.
If you have never had a curved screen then your in no place to judge. I have a lg curved oled and it great

Im sure on an oled curved 3D looks great .
But on a wall it does not have that effect / look ........
like a picture frame on a wall and you have to be in the sweet spot to get the full effect .

Most have familys and someone will sit at the end of the sofa and well they will complain the most .

One instalation i fitted the first thing they said can we view the screen at all positions in the living room .

Curved screen was a no no for them .
And they was not intrested in the tech also .

We strived for years to go flat crt days and to get rid of the goldfish bowl look and reflection and then come along first was Sony FD1 worlds first flat screen tv and was expensive .

But boy did it look good being completly flat .
And now it seems we are going backwards as such .

The take up of curved tv and 3D has dropped big time hence the dropping of the so called tech .

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom