No more 4HD or all4 on Freesat?

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Just had this email, have I missed this news?

We’re sorry to announce that All 4 and 4HD will be leaving Freesat on Thursday 22nd February, 2018.

Channel 4 is still available in standard definition, but any recordings you have scheduled for 4HD will need to be re-set in SD (via channel 104).

E4, More 4, 4seven and Film4 remain unaffected and can be accessed via the TV guide as usual, but the rollback guide and catch-up TV for all of the Channel 4 channels will no longer be available via your Freesat box.

If you have any questions about these changes please read our Q&A here, and to find out where else you can watch All 4 please visit all4.com/how-to-watch

Thanks,

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
Just got this email also, pretty poor. The Q&A section doesn't answer the most important question. WHY are they leaving Freesat?

Leavon

Standard Member
super annoyed about this. I'm guessing Sky have instigated it to give them exclusivity, they've already got Film 4 HD.

kahlua

just got the email,gutted,petition time ?

kahlua

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Annoyed at this, new season of Homeland in SD... I don’t think so, I guess I’ll have to stream it instead.

Ensor

super annoyed about this.
Me too, I was considering moving to Freesat if I end up having to replace my DigitalStream due to the current issues our machines are experiencing.

No C4HD is a deal breaker for me.

...I'm guessing Sky have instigated it to give them exclusivity, they've already got Film 4 HD.
I wouldn't be surprised since C4 carries live FTA Formula 1, they probably want people to get used to SSF1HD being the only satellite channel to offer it in HD. Or am I just being cynical?

True Romance

Distinguished Member
yea possibly not the decision has obviously been made some time ago,and i assume its still available on freeview.
Struggling to understand how they can do this with less than two days notice? Like you say something must have been going on behind closed doors for some time.

kahlua

Struggling to understand how they can do this with less than two days notice? Like you say something must have been going on behind closed doors for some time.
yea really short notice,this has been done for a while.

kahlua

Me too, I was considering moving to Freesat if I end up having to replace my DigitalStream due to the current issues our machines are experiencing.

No C4HD is a deal breaker for me.

I wouldn't be surprised since C4 carries live FTA Formula 1, they probably want people to get used to SSF1HD being the only satellite channel to offer it in HD. Or am I just being cynical?
this has to be it,sky flexing its mussels,all about f1.

Graham_IoM

I'm annoyed about this too. I was about to buy another Humax box for the bedroom but I won't bother now. I've noticed a few of the music channels have disappeared lately too, and the only adult channel they had.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Maybe it's the increased competition with all the new channels on Freesat, especially the docu tv genre & those rumoured to be in the pipeline

&/or maybe sky trying to hit back against the rise of Freesat ... wiv a deal.

With all the new channels that have moved to Freesat from Sky or launched on Freesat. . this is an odd one.

Ensor

...and i assume its still available on freeview.
Very little info currently on the 'net outside of the email and Freesat announcement. Nothing to suggest C4HD is leaving Freeview too.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
The F1 battle is over so it's nothing to do with that, it disappears behind Sky's pay wall from next year. Several music channels have left the Freesat EPG recently but remain broadcasting FTA. Hopefully C4HD will remain FTA so we can use non Freesat mode.

Ensor

The F1 battle is over so it's nothing to do with that, it disappears behind Sky's pay wall from next year...
Quite true, but it would still be to Sky's benefit if SSF1HD were to be the only channel on satellite to carry it in HD even now.

And it's exactly the sort of underhand tactic I'd expect from a company with a Murdoch on its board.

stblob

A big step backwards. They should be switching SD Off, not HD. LOL.
How is this even allowed?
The UK use to be the best in programme and picture quality. Now we are so far behind it' surreal. Very poor video quality and I wont even mansion DAB quality.

bobspark

Standard Member
How annoying we buy the kit at great expense ,and they pull a trick like this.Might as well all go back to black and white TV ,and AM radio.
Im lucky I've got Freeview hopefully that,s safe .
I feel sorry for people who can only watch TV by satellite dish.
Makes me wonder would it still be available on non Freesat mode.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Roam NC, affordable TWS earbuds
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba smart TVs add Amazon Music and Twitch apps
  • By Andy Bassett