no more 1080 50-60inch anymore

chucklp

Novice Member
Reaction score
hello everybody.
i did a search for "no more 1080anymore". nothing came up related so i'll start a new thread.
right now i have a 1080 50inch and perfectly fine with it.
looks like the makers are not listening to us and force feeding 4k tvs.
made a few opinions awhile back with the only option of 4k coming and not happy with all the hype and scams circiling around the idea how great the 4ks are.
i might go with a 55-60inch next time. cant seem to find a 1080 in 50inch and bigger anymore.
my name brand i have now is a 1080 and i like it. not interested in a 4k.
there is still a lot of 480 low res everywhere. when i was looking at the 4ks the picture was not good in lower resolution.
at the time i went with a 1080 50inch.

my question is: for the next buy here in the U.S....
1. do the new 4ks upscale 480 and low res so the low res will look better.?
2. can i get a 1080 50-60inch?
3. so where is this going?

So what you want is the TV companies to stop their current production lines and go back to making lower resolution TVs in large sizes for you - probably that is not enough demand to make it viable. The reason they are producing 4K TVs is because the market is buying them and content is becoming available so they are viable. Production is cost based and wider choices do not exploit the economies of scale in the same way, TVs would cost more if they had to produce two 50-60 inch lines.

1) They do but it will not look better - you cannot display what wasn't there in the first place
2) Obviously difficult because of market factors
3) Exactly where you feared - 4K as broadband bandwidth increases streaming 4K content is not an issue. 8K is another matter though.

My LG CX upscales a lot better then my previous 1080p oled. It's all down to newer tech and better processing.

I think you will struggle to find much choice of HD TVs at these sizes today. I had a quick look on Best Buy (since you are in the US) and there was a Westinghouse model at 50" listed (but sold out) and an Insignia 55" model that is "open box". The largest panel sizes from the major manufacturers seem to be 43" at HD resolutions. So you might find something at these sizes if you shop around, but I can't think it would be an improvement on your current TV.
If you want to replace your current TV, I think you will have much better choice at 4K - which is pretty much the standard these days. In my experience, SD sources will tend to look "soft" at the screen sizes you are interested in, but HD sources will look good.
For what it is worth, the rtings.com website does rate TVs on their upscaling ability. However, it is a subjective rating and most TVs seem to be similar - you might be able to use it to narrow your choice down a bit though.

I'm not sure what the options are in the USA, but 4K is now the norm for new TVs above 32" in the UK and that isn't going to change. If anything, you'd be better off picking up a 4K set soon before (inevitably) 8K becomes the norm !

I was also sceptical about moving to 4K when my old 1080p plasma failed, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of good HD and 4K content available from the likes of Prime and Netflix which looks fantastic, especially in 4K HDR. When good quality 4K content is combined with a good quality 4K TV, it isn't a 'scam' at all. Far from it.

Because of this, my viewing habits have changed and I now watch almost no SD content at all. But, saying that - on the odd occasion when there's no other option, good quality SD sources can sometimes look better than expected. This is very dependent on the upscaling abilities of the TV of course, as well as the quality of the SD source and screen size / viewing distance. Get too close to a poor bitrate SD TV channel on a large 4K screen and yes - it's probably going to look unwatchable.

If you really want a 1080p 50-60" set, you're almost certainly going to have to buy one second-hand. Panasonic made some fantastic 1080p plasmas in that size range in their final few years of plasma manufacturing (and Pioneer a few years before that) which you might be able to pick up for a few hundred dollars if you're lucky enough to find an owner who's wanting to upgrade.

I don't know if they sold this model in the US, but in 2017 LG released a 1080p oled called the A7 (it's a 2014 model with a flat panel) I had one for a few years before replacing it with the CX. Might be worth a look around. Else, like above, you have to buy used to get a decent 1080p set.

The A7 has zero burn in prevention though besides a screensaver for inbuilt apps.

So what you want is the TV companies to stop their current production lines and go back to making lower resolution TVs in large sizes for you - probably that is not enough demand to make it viable. The reason they are producing 4K TVs is because the market is buying them and content is becoming available so they are viable. Production is cost based and wider choices do not exploit the economies of scale in the same way, TVs would cost more if they had to produce two 50-60 inch lines.

1) They do but it will not look better - you cannot display what wasn't there in the first place
2) Obviously difficult because of market factors
3) Exactly where you feared - 4K as broadband bandwidth increases streaming 4K content is not an issue. 8K is another matter though.
So what you want is the TV companies to stop their current production lines and go back to making lower resolution TVs in large sizes for you - probably that is not enough demand to make it viable. The reason>>>>>
No, i didnt say that. I would to see 1080. 1080 should be cheaper to make because of less lcd's and backlighting.
At this time there is not really that much 4k content unless like you mentioned, netflix, the new 4k bluray players with the new bluray disks. Not going there. Too expensive to make the change from my dvds and standard bluray players to the new 4k stuff.
I'm sure a lot of consumers feel the same about the cost of the transition to a 4ktv, 4k player and 4kdiscs. No thanks.
Just like i-phones, It has become very difficult to get a flip phone. We are being forced fed because i-phones are more expensive.
And what happened to car makers. They lost their way with no attention to making basic affordable entry level cars with no bells and whistles. I dont care about a backup camera, GPS, and all the electronics it comes with. It's all or nothing now.
I'm old enough. I have seen the changes through the decades. I have never seen so much stingy greed in my life, unwilling to pay decent wages and the increasing out of control gap between inflation and jobs/wages. This has destroyed the economy.

Last edited:
@chucklp That's the problem with progress, it gets everywhere

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom