no money back, no guarantee...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by goddamnminivan, Feb 27, 2003.

1. goddamnminivan

goddamnminivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI.

I was bought a Samsung DVD from cash converters and after a while it started playing up. It only happens on certain discs, some discs play through fine, but some start to pixelate like on a small jpeg blown up too big if you know what i mean, the sound jams up and then it locks and refuses to play. I took it back , obviuosly but the 'technician' played 4 discs on it and it didn't show up. I was wondering if this was because when I play the dvd i am doing in with an av reciever and watching in dd and dts. Can the output of a digital audio track compromise the players quality, and does a dd or dts 5.1 track increase the mbps transfer rate?

The [insult deleted by admin] technician couldn't answer these questions, he didn't even know the difference between single and dual layer discs.

I was refused a cash refund as the player wasn't faulty, although they didn't test in dd or dts. Where do I stand on this?

I appreciate any help as I don't intend to roll over on this and would rather wipe my self with the credit note than use in that [insult deleted vy admin] shop.

[Note from admin - you may be angry but temper your language please. Refer to the rules about libel if you are not sure.]

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Playing in DD or DTS will not affect the picture at all. Have you checked for smudges and finger prints on the discs?
    It might be worth taking the problem discs in with you when you get the retailer to check it.

3. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have a Samsung DVD-811. It had exactly the same problems you describe, on certain discs.

I spoke to a couple of people about it, and a guy in Sevenoaks told me it was 'a known problem'. I've since upgraded to a different player, and don't have any problems with discs that used to cause the Samsung to freeze.

It's not the discs: it's the player. From what I understood, it can't be fixed. I'd take the credit note and get a different make of player.

4. goddamnminivan

goddamnminivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot.

I've emailed head office about it and since had no reply, but I'm after a cash refund cos i've got my eye on the toshiba sd220 (i think thats it) from rs at £119. I know that if I can prove that it is the player that is at fault then I am legally obliged a full cah refund (sale of goods act 174) by the retailer.

I'll look in to what you said about your samsung, cheers.

Oh and I found out about the sound not affecting the picture since posting. And the discs are fine. It happened on batman&robin first time out of the cellophane! so its not a smudge issue.

thanks.

5. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    it was maybe the player crying out in pain?:rotfl:

6. goddamnminivan

goddamnminivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey I got it in the batman boxset, I wouldn't have got it on its own.

7. dukebox_1st

dukebox_1st
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if its not a "known issue" i would guess it could possibly heat causing it to block and freeze up. are ure components stacked? amps create a gd deal of heat generally (as you probs knew) and if stacked could affect the dvd player.

tom

8. goddamnminivan

goddamnminivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No none of my stuff is stacked, the player was well ventilated. It wasn't an overheat problem i think, cos it happened on the problem discs straight away, as soon as I turned it on, not after watching 4 movies in a row. Although it really should n't play up then either.

9. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think you need to take a realistic view at where you got it from; Cash Converters is hardly a premium hi-fi store; it's a very dodgy outlet for second hand goods; the people supplying the goods just want the cash; the shop just wants to get rid of the goods.

You bought a dvd player, and it plays dvds. They've tested it, it worked fine.
    A decent Hi-fi shop may well provide a good level of customer service and satisfaction, but Cash Converters? No chance unfortunately.