No Mobile Coverage Draining Battery on 12 Pro Max

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Ok I'm presently Offshore and I always switch the Mobile Data off for obvious reasons, but do have my Wifi setting on.

My battery was full this morning and now at around 4pm its at 49% with hardly any usage

I checked the battery in settings and the 'No Mobile Coverage' has used 74%, how on earth can this be, this when I have 'Mobile Data' turned off

I also have Location Services, and iCloud Backup off (as there is no way it can back up to the cloud with crap Rig wifi)

Anyone ideas what I also need to switch off so it doesn't drain so much through the day :(

BM08

can you try turning on airplane mode for a day, just to see if that works, I know it shouldn’t do anything after mobile data is turned off, but just to be sure there isn’t any setting you’ve missed, using airplane mode would cover all bases I think.
Also try turning your phone off and on again, that sometimes sorts out weird issues.

something is definitely amiss here, we’ve got 12 pro max here, and by 4pm with little usage, we would have around 70-80% easily

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Onshore, you can have mobile data switched off & still make phone calls/send SMS.
You have mobile data switched off, but it’s still constantly looking/trying to connect to a mobile network for phone calls/SMS hence why it’s draining your battery.

You need to switch to airplane mode as above to stop this.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
@BM08

Ok I've switched Airplane mode on and off again, then turned the phone off and on, will try switching Airplane mode on all day if this still doesn't work, maybe that will sort the issue.

Will see how we get on today,

@hippo99
You can still make calls with Mobile Data off? really..

BM08

I didn’t know that either! This is why I said, perhaps something else is up, and to try airplane mode.
So if the above Information is correct then the problem should be solved leaving airplane mode on. You can still use your phone on wifi anyway

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Of course! All mobile contracts have a quota of data, minutes & text messages.
If you used up all of your data allowance, you can still make phone calls & send text messages :)
I'm amazed such seasoned mobile phone users didn't know that.

BM08

I'm amazed such seasoned mobile phone users didn't know that.
I’ve just realised I didn’t read/understand properly, I thought he was saying internet related stuff still works without mobile data turned on lol.

Yes of course I know that calls and texts work without data!

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Well turned airplane mode on the off, then switched phone off and on this morning

Also closed down all apps

End if day had about 80-85% which is way better than before, fantastic!

BM08

Well turned airplane mode on the off, then switched phone off and on this morning

Also closed down all apps

End if day had about 80-85% which is way better than before, fantastic!

Thats spot on, nothing wrong with your phone or battery, I did say you should have at least 70-80% at 4pm if you’re not using your phone much during the day.
Glad it was easily sorted for you.

As I side note, closing apps doesn’t make any difference to battery life on iphones, it should not drain your phone if you’ve got 1 app open or 10. It can actually use more battery if you close apps and then keep re-opening them during the day. If you leave your most used apps open, they don’t have to re-load each time you use them. For example I keep Twitter and Instagram open as I use them a few times a day.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
As I side note, closing apps doesn’t make any difference to battery life on iphones, it should not drain your phone if you’ve got 1 app open or 10. It can actually use more battery if you close apps and then keep re-opening them during the day. If you leave your most used apps open, they don’t have to re-load each time you use them. For example I keep Twitter and Instagram open as I use them a few times a day.
Saying that, I think some apps do drain the battery though. I don’t use it but I keep reading about the Facebook app in particular draining the battery as it keeps constantly checking/updating in the background, even when not in active use?

BM08

Saying that, I think some apps do drain the battery though. I don’t use it but I keep reading about the Facebook app in particular draining the battery as it keeps constantly checking/updating in the background, even when not in active use?
Oh well I don’t have/use Facebook. Certainly the apps I use don’t use any battery life when the phone isn’t in use

bransoj

Facebook used to be a big issue as they did something a bit naughty to make it stay alive in the background i think but got caught out and had to change it. Only reason you need to close an app out of the switcher should really be if its crashed etc.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom