No Master Socket...

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Chrisoldinho, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Yep, as you can tell i'm very much into sorting out my home network at the moment :D

My house doesn't seem to have a Master socket. I was going to attempt to put on an ADSL Nation faceplate to reduce the noise on the line and in theory increase the speed of my connection.

I took off the faceplate on my router but there is no wires behind plugged into the socket at all and also no test socket either....

I'm a newbie when it comes to this so any basic explaination appreciated :)

2. Tallpaul1987

Tallpaul1987
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure why you dont have one mate but as a BT employee I'd advise you to excersize caution as interfering with an NTE-5, which is the term we use for a master socket, is an offence which could lead to a fine.

I work for a different section of BT (Not Openreach) and I've only done a short secondment on the Openreach side so I'm not exactly a wizard at it my self but good luck.

Mean while here's some more info...

Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring

I think your best bet is to ring BT and get an engineer to fit either an I-plate or an NTE2000 as these are both specifically designed to filter ADSL cicuits. The newer I-plate model removes the noise from the bell wire which carries ringing current.

I hope I have been of some help.

Paul.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Sorry, you may work for BT but is obvious that you don't work for Openreach. An NTE5 is a type of Master Socket. It appears that the OP has an old style Master Socket. (Without the NTE5's removable faceplate.)

However the rest of your answer is correct and the OP should not touch his old style Master Socket but have Openreach fit an NTE5. He/she need to call his ISP to arrange that.

4. Tallpaul1987

Tallpaul1987
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0