No Marantz reviews

mansell

Novice Member
Can anybody tell me why there never seems to be any Marantz Receiver reviews ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I can't find any for the 4200 , 5200,5300 etc etc

mansell

Novice Member
I have read the Mag review as i buy it every month , but i just wondered why no reviews can be found here.

thanks anyway

PS . I already have the SR5200 but just wondered what the 5300 was like

James45

Standard Member
I have the 5300 which is IMO excellent although as this is my first receiver I have nothing to compare it against so a review would be pointless. From what I understand there is very little difference between the 5300 and the 5200. Does the 5200 have circle surround 2 or DTS Neo 6? Although it doesn't really matter as neither come close to DPL2 and I never use them.

mansell

Novice Member
it does not have DTS NEO 6 or circle surround

mansell

Novice Member
the 5200 has it's own in house generic DTS ES

if that makes sense ?

petty Marantz didn't have some kind of BIOS Upgrade or maybe they just wanted to cash in on another product.

Maybe they should ask Denon for some advice on the subject

:(

T

Test005

I've been looking at the Marantz 5x00 and I'm offered a 5200 at a shop for 200 Euros under original prize because they are selling them out to make room for the 5300s.
Is it worth going for the 5200, or wait and get the 5300 in a couple of weeks when they have them in stock?

I heard that there's been some problem with Marantz X200 series, sound missing when a new chapter beginns and such? (That must be really irritating when you have a DVD with many chapters and the sound mutes for 2 secs every 15 minutes!!)

Anyway, Is the diffrence worth 200 Euros or would you go for the 5200 right now?

-T5-

James45

Standard Member
its not sound drop at the start of every chapter but on things like layer changes and when you initially start up a disc, the sound doesn't kick in for a second or possibly less, to be completely honest it is slightly annoying and the only negative thing I could mention about this amp.

mansell

Novice Member
I must admit this slight problem with the sound doesn't bother me at all .

MY A\V RIG
Panasonic TX32PB50
Marantz SR5200
Toshiba 210ED
Amstrad DRX300
Mission M72
Mission M7C
Mission M7ds
Eltax Atomic A10 Sub
AIWA VCR
Gale SPKR cables
IXOS Scart

buns

Banned
i notice this sound thing with my amp (not a marantz) and i thought it was normal..... learn something new every day!

ad

James45

Standard Member
ah the plot thickens! What make amps buns? I thought momentary sound delay was unique to the Marantz.

T

Test005

Well, I think I could live with that, and saving 200 Euro is always good. Not to mention that I don't have to wait until the new model is in stock.
(Ofcourse it's always fun to get the latest model, but it's a trade off for price in my case)

Any features on the 5300 that I might need for the future that 5200 doesn't have?

I think I go for the 200Euro reduced 5200 instead of waiting for the 5300 if nobody gives me a good reason not to!

-T5-

michaelab

Novice Member
Just out of interest Test005, what price are you being offered for a 5200 (in Euros)? Here in Portugal they're ridiculously expensive (€700). They're still selling the 4200 here for €550 (about £350) which is absurd. Fortunately I make regular trips to the UK and picked up my 4200 for £200 (€300) in Richer Sounds in London. It also fitted in my suitcase!!

I was going to go for a 5200 at first but I just couldn't justify the extra cost (£200 in the UK) for 6.1 (which I don't need) and a slightly higher output.

Michael.

Ian J

Banned
Originally posted by michaelab
Just out of interest Test005, what price are you being offered for a 5200 (in Euros)? Here in Portugal they're ridiculously expensive
It's quite right that you should pay more for AV equipment as you have more sunshine. I'd be willing to trade a few pounds for more sun :)

badsimian

Originally posted by James45
ah the plot thickens! What make amps buns? I thought momentary sound delay was unique to the Marantz.
I believe it can affect quite a few amps. I have read a post on these forums before about Denons doing the same thing.

It seems to be that when the signal "disappears" for an instant moment that it takes the amp half a second to automatically sense the signal again.

T

Test005

Michaelab: I live in Finland and here things tend to be expensive like !"%¤!"*!!

Marantz 5200 costs € 869:-. (Hifi-club, scandinavian-wide hi-fi chain)

Also, Finnish car prices must be among the highest in Europe :eek:(

I've noticed on this board, that the UK guys seem to get good "bang for the buck", that's good for you!

-T5-

buns

Banned
James,

It is a yamaha A5. I really thought it was down to my dvd player to be honest.........

ad

James45

Standard Member
quick thought.

if denon dvd players include memory buffers to get rid of layer change picture freeze... would their sound signal be buffered as well... this would get rid of the problem... but cost me a fortune for a 2800 mk2 or 3800.... arrrr.... upgraditus... it's got me.

any ideas if this is likely though?

buns

Banned
Originally posted by James45
quick thought.

if denon dvd players include memory buffers to get rid of layer change picture freeze... would their sound signal be buffered as well... this would get rid of the problem... but cost me a fortune for a 2800 mk2 or 3800.... arrrr.... upgraditus... it's got me.

any ideas if this is likely though?
but if this is the case, then surely most people should experience the sound drop out!?

ad

James45

Standard Member
yea baring in mind a couple of people have said they experience the drop out with different make amps I now imagine this is the norm, especially when you think about how layer changes work, sound must pause on all players. I wonder if there is any external device (between dvd and tv and amp) that would buffer video and sound?

MonkeyDonkey

Standard Member
Originally posted by Test005

I've noticed on this board, that the UK guys seem to get good "bang for the buck", that's good for you!

-T5-
I never thought I'd hear that said about rip off Britain.

Some places here are still selling the 4200 for around £350, its only because we have large operations such as Richersounds that we get lower prices, they can buy big and save big.

Back on topic, most of the reviews supposedly for the 4200 on the Marantz site aren't. I think one is for the 8200, one for the 5200 and another for a DVD player. So far I've only managed to get the Cnet one.

michaelab

Novice Member
In the UK, AV gear can be found for considerably less than in most other European countries. Obviously some high street stores are still a rip but you can always find a good price if you look a little. In Portugal (for example), there just aren't any places like Richer Sounds and it's all very expensive. You're usually paying 1.5x to 2x the UK prices.

If you compare prices to the rest of Europe (not the US) then I think you'll find that ripoff Britain doesn't exist, except perhaps for cars which are a special case (due to wildly differing car tax regimes in different EU countries).

Anyway, getting back to the topic, there are two SR4200 reviews from What HiFi? on the Marantz site allthough all you can get are the summaries, not the original review.

The summaries are:
With its superb all-round performance, the Marantz proves that it’s still well worthy of the Best Buy tag it won in our Awards 2001.

What the Marantz definitely has in its favour is the ability to sound confident and involving with music. It’s still the Best Buy in this market sector.
and

This Marantz entry-level multichannel receiver has just about everyting.

If you are into movies and music, the SR4200 is a first-rate performer: an ample 5 x 70W per channel thrills with gutsy and dynamic sound, and the sparkling stereo is the best we’ve ever heard at this level. A breathtaking product.
It got a 5 star "best buy" rating from What HiFi? in 2001 and 2002.

Michael.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews

Trending threads

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for October 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Linn upgrades Majik LP12 turntable with new tonearm
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
VPI announces new Prime 21 turntables
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Skyworth launches 8K Q71 TV