No Man's Sky (PS4) - 12 August 2016

This was one of the best things to come out of VGX.

This is what i call "Next Gen" :nono:
Elite, Colony Wars and Minecraft have been bandied about, and if they can get enough variety and gameplay, not just a generation engine, it could be fantastic.

... a fully procedural, galactic sci-fi title called No Man's Sky. It's a foray into space adventure ...
But as many gamers always say: it's not just about the graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's so great about procedurally generated?

Did you get out the wrong side of bed today? That and the Res0gun quip dont seem like your usual self.

But depends what you like really. If someone despises soccer games, the bestest everest soccer game isn't going to sway them... but for an adventure / exportation gamer, procedurally generated worlds mean the potential for unique permutations and experiences.

It's somewhat like open world games, but more so. Yes GTA V may not have the graphics and tight experience of a carefully controlled corridor shooter, but the freedom to roam and try different ways of mission completion is more fun for certain people.
Instead of being given specific guns, and forced to breach a door and shoot 4 terrorists like in a CoD game say, in GTA you could use a flamethrower, or stick C4 to a motorcycle and ram it thru the door. So variety to tackle a particular problem.

I'm hoping procedural worlds will throw up combinations a human developer might not have imagined. Given the space setting, it may just turn into background scenery, or zooming from planet to planet, until you find a scarce resource, but i liked the look of this in the E3 (?) indie reveal, and it just seems better refined now.
But ultimately depends what you like.

Nah, I just genuinely don't know what they mean by procedurally generated. I can troubleshoot with the best of them but knowing all the programming speak is not my forte.

I may have been snippy in the Resogun thread, but I think he did a decent review and he obviously put some time and effort into it and I just didn't care for how you responded. Although I've been a bit pissy this past week anyways so maybe it just rubbed me the wrong way when it shouldn't have. My bad.

I may have been terse due to time, but thought i was giving constructive criticism, and not just criticism. I'll try to be more polite next time :love:

Nah, I just genuinely don't know what they mean by procedurally generated.

Ahhh. In CoD or Battlefield every tree is given a position in space (x/y/z), every box is considered and placed for line of sight, or game flow, should this be a solid brick wall or a glass window that can be shot thru?
Tightly defined games have the experience controlled or at least channeled - to stop spawn camping, to stimulate areas of action or inaction.
GTA less so, but still every tree is placed, they consider racing lines and obstacles: all placed by hand, by a human.

Procedurally generated content (broadly) is where the developers create code that describes how objects are placed and created (so you dont end up with houses below ground, and trees grow on grass not concrete). Then you run the code, and see what is built.
Some games do this with varying results, but from the dev's descriptions No Man's Sky has rules not only for object placement, so trees clump together on hills in a more organic fashion, but so "alien" landscapes can be generated.
One dev interview described a planet's chemical balance, which not only tints the colour of leaves and grass, but what rocks form say. Which may in turn effects how hills form (jagged vs smooth) or environmental types.

None of which is placed by a human, just from code. Which is why the team can be small, yet thousands of worlds could in theory be unique.

The potential issues are from extreme random things like a world entirely of diamonds, which breaks the economy, or an atmosphere which might destroy your ship instantly. Or a procedural CoD example might be a map where you can't leave the spawn created underground, or boxes hovering in the sky.

Wait and see how good their tools are, but the potential variety of Elite where every planet is unique and able to be landed on...

Last edited:
I reckon you two need some evening primrose oil. Sounds like you`re both "Man-struating" :D

I hope they have backups off site :eek:

Wow. Insurance claim should help develop the game tho!

According to the articles online, insurance won't cover the damage.
Well that really sucks then. They had the wrong insurance plan.

Time for Sony to sweep in and finance it's completion along with exclusivity. :D

No Man's Sky not delayed by Guildford flood | Latest news from the game development industry | Develop

No Man's Sky not delayed by Guildford flood
5d8a5cd8b66843e016d016c93b57b8f5.png

Hello Games assures fans that work on promising sci-fi title will continue

The excitement surrounding the reveal of No Man's Sky was soured slightly when developer Hello Games' Guildford headquarters was flooded over Christmas.

The team has been hard at work salvaging the company's work and equipment and has today posted a Q&A on its official site to clarify the situation.

Under the question "Will this delay No Man's Sky?", studio boss Sean Murray confidently declares: "We won't let this happen".

"At times recently I've wanted to be depressed, to wallow, but it's impossible surrounded by this team. They are literally unstoppable," he writes.

"If we've lost some work, we'll make up the time. We'll steal dev-kits. We'll work on a boat. Whatever it takes (not actual stealing… maybe)."

Murray added that despite his love for Kickstarter and the financial practicalities of setting up a crowdfund to get accelerate the project's recovery, he is not planning to launch an appeal.

"So many people have suggested it," he said. "I just don't think it's the right thing for No Man's Sky right now though, and we'd probably rather not eat than do the wrong thing for this game.

"If people buy our Joe Danger games, then that does support us. We'd rather you buy Joe Danger because you want to play them though."

The Hello Games head remains optimistic, reporting that the team has set up a new temporary location, with plans to either rebuild the old office or move into a new one in the next few months.

A new network has also been built from scratch, as well as a dozen new PCs and half a dozen new Macs and Linux machines, which was instrumental in the recent release of Joe Danger infinity.

"It feels like that moment in a film, where the heroes are down but not defeated," Murray said. "They are scattered across the world and they have to rebuild.

"Our next few weeks/months are going to be a training montage and running across mountains. Quick cut! Dave's punch dancing. Quick Cut! Hazel's firing an arrow at a target… getting closer. Quick Cut! Alex has nunchucks in silhouette on a mountain peak. You get the idea."

Greats news, but as much as I had hoped we'd see this released this year I'm getting the impression 2015 will be the year I get my hands on this.

In a world of first person shooters and sequels this looks so refreshing.

Has it been said it's coming to PS4 ? it looks great.

This game will be at E3, rumour it may be at Sony's conf.

Can't wait to see more.

This looked fudgeing amazing!

Love the look of this, proper space exploration is not touched upon enough in gaming.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom