No luck with DVD32R

Madmartigan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems that for the third time in about three years my DVD32R has let me down. Six months after buying it, it "crashed" at random intervals, sending a huge burst of statics through the speakers. After a repair job at IAG (about 5 months before I got it back) it was solved, but not for long. Same problem returned, another repair (this one a bit quicker), and it worked like a breeze for over a year.

Now, however, a new and fascinating problem has popped up. After playing for a while (sometimes up to an hour, last time only two minutes), it switches itself off and won't come on again - sometimes clicking on and off in an instant, sometimes just remaining dead as a rock. When I then leave it off (not standby) for a few days/weeks it usually comes to life again, only to die again after the next few minutes of listening. When it is playing, the sound is still crisp as ever, and all connections (T2L, TagTronic) function as expected.

The strangest thing so far was that during DVD playback the front display switched off, the lid opened itself, but it continued playing! I could see the disc spinning, could even see the red dot of where the laser hit the dvd, but it did play on. (Of course I switched it off as soon as possible.)

I tried disconnecting the clock link and TagTronic cables, to see whether some faulty instructions were send through those that made it go haywire, but no luck. Before I send it to IAG (again, *sigh*), does anyone here have a similar experience, and/or any idea what the problem might be? Maybe some problem with the power supply (I can hear it clicking when it turns off, or when it's "struggling" to come to life again)? Any other ideas?

If it were any other player, I feel like I would have parted with it a long time ago. However, I don't know any other DVD/CD transport of which I like the sound as much, nor, if I did, can I afford one at the moment. :(

This sounds a bit like the memory has gone up the spout. It's the on-off (resetting) that normally signifies this. I would suggest the Audiocellar, but unfortunately he doesn't touch DVD32Rs. You could try emailing him and saying you think it's the memory to see if he will take a look. If he will, it will cost you substantially less than sending to IAG, and you won't be without it for 5 months.

Kevin stated to me that he would take a look at one, but if it requires a spare that he cannot get hold of then the only route is IAG. Pretty sure he would not charge you for diagnosing the problem.

Mine is up the spout 2. Freezes on DVD's wont even get through one film now. CD replay works but it doesn't take any commands. So the only option is to listen from start to end. I'm looking to ditch a DVD and CD player and instead go for either a cheaper DVD and a music streamer or a media streamer with a Blu ray drive. Like the new popcorn hour C200. Problem is trying to audition them. Like the sound of a Linn DS Majik. Not sure if the markets matured yet. Don't want to jump the gun , problem is that the TAG DVD player is forcing the change sooner rather than later.

Good luck in your decision

I'll contact the AudioCellar. Didn't do that just now because I indeed understood that he won't do DVD-players, but it's worth the shot.

Thanks so far, and I'll post updates.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom