1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No joy in the Arcam forum

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Hawklord, Dec 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I posted this in the Arcam forum but nobody had any answers so I thought I'd try here. My Question is:-

CD93t and FMJ CD33
    Could someone explain the difference in performance between these two cd players. Styling appears to be very similar and I'm aware the dacs and other circuitry are different but what are the major differences in real listening terms. What are the pro's and cons of both players?
    I currently have the CD72t and I'm looking to upgrade to a better all round player. My music tastes tend towards alternative and indie music over pop and classical (Hawkwind, Echo and the bunnymen, Fields of the Nephilim, The cure.... you get the idea). The easiest option would be to upgrade to the CD93 but should I over look the FMJ CD33 ?

any ideas?

thanks for any pearls of wisdom

:smashin:

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    I could be totally wrong here, as I know very little about Arcam, but doesnt the CD93 use the "Ring DAC" whereas the 33 uses a new design - many people preferring the Ring DAC AFAIK... but I could be completely wrong --- free bump anyway :p

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Yes you quite right it does. I'm really looking for an explanation of the difference in sound repro between the two based on the different internal gubbins each have. I'm no techie with regards to dacs ect but would be interested in knowing if there are any major differences to be taken into account when upgrading.
    I can either sell my cd72 and purchase the fmj cd33 or directly upgrade the cd72 to the cd93. I'm not interested in what internal bits each have (on this occasion) just which will give the best performance for price and the related benefits of each.

thanks anyway:D