1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No ITV Channels or Ch4....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by geeWcee, Mar 14, 2005.

1. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ive had my Nebula DigiTV PCI card a while now. Since day one I have had problems receiving the ITV channels and Channel 4 properly. These channels had very poor signal strength and signal noise.

Anyway, as I was wanting some more aerial points put in around the house I took the opportunity to upgrade my rooftop aerial so I can have freeview in those rooms.

I thought this might have solved my problem but on a retune on the card I havent been able to get ITV or Channel 4 at ALL now. We thought it may be a problem with the new aerial install but meter readings were fine and my Sony freeview box from the lounge picked up those channels with no problems at all using the same aerial point.

This is damn frustrating now, as I was looking to build a new HTPC using this card but I will have to put this on hold now.

Any ideas? IS it a card issue/driver issue?

Would the BlackGold card be a better alternative? I need PVR functionality etc.. to use with Microsoft Media Centre or similar.

Anyone else with the Nebula had problems with ITV/Channel 4?

I can see Emley Moor TV mast from my front window!

Cheers...

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes indeed I too have problems with ITV, Channel 4 and Five. I also have a Black Gold card and that receives those channels fine.

I do wonder though if there is something wrong with your wiring! If you can see the mast you should have excellent reception. You say you have put more aerial points in around the house, how have you done this? If you have just split the signal you may have diluted it too much.

Dave

3. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Dave,

point is, I had all the aerial cabling upgraded. Meter readings showed I could easily run 5 or more freeview boxes off my one rooftop aerial as I am virtually next to the mast.
    Ive borrowed my mates Sagem box to test upstairs aswell at same time as the Sony and that is fine...
    Aerial installer says there is just no way that I would have any problems with running two at once with the signal strength I receive from the mast - and Ive since proved it with my mates Sagem. He suspects its a hardware issue with the card.
    ITV and channel 4 are on Channel 40, 626mhz. I can manually tune the stations in on that frequency (autotune doesnt even pick them up) But I still have bad break up on them.
    So frustrating, thinking of just sending it back and getting the Blackgold card.
    In your post you say you have problems with ITV and Channel 4 - is that with a Nebula card aswell?
    Cheers.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that is with the Nebula card, sorry I didn't make it clear.

Dave

5. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Cheers Dave. Sounds like a card issue to me. I think I'll order the Blackgold and see what I get using that before sending the Nebula back.
    Thanks again for replying.

6. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like an iffy card, my Freeview reception can be patchy however the Nebula displays a picture long after my Pioneer ( OnDigital ) and Philips ( Freeview ) boxes have given up and just show the red dot. Might be worth contacting Nebula and seeing if they'll exchange the card?

7. msrx7mh3

msrx7mh3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had a similar problem to yours, where non-BBC channels were very poor indeed once I "upgraded" to a Nebula (from a Philips freeview box). I even purchased a TV booster in desperation, to find some improvement (but no C5!).
    Someone suggested changing the power supply unit in the pc to a more highly-specified one (I use an Athlon XP CPU, fully loaded with cards), and changing the RF lead from the wall outlet to a better-shielded design. I did both and hey presto- excellent PQ without the booster. The most significant change occurred with changing the PSU though.

I think the Nebula card is more sensitive to PSU issues/ poor current than other cards (eg, a Hauppauge/ Black Gold).

8. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,
    I already have a decent 550W Power supply..would like to think I neednt swap it out just to satisfy the Nebula - it was alot of cash.
    Think I will contact Nebula and ask them if they will exchange the card...

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be sure to let us know how you get on!

Dave

10. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I will do Dave. I've emailed their tech support so will let you know if I get any joy.

11. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just a quick update....
    Added an attenuator to my cable and hey presto problem solved...
    BER dropped from 0.9 down to 0.002 and I got all ITV channels and Channel 4 back....
    Signal strength and SNR improved on all channels aswell....
    Still dont really know how the attenuator has acheived it..but Im happy now!! (Can finally set timers for The Bill!)
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread..

ON another note, Nebula are still yet to get back to me about my original tech enquiry...so i would be pretty peeved by now if the card had been faulty...

My blackgold card has just arrived....so I'll give that one a try and then start to build my HTPC! :clap:

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that update, I'm pleased you got it sorted!

excuse my ignorance but what is an attenuator, where did you get it from and how much did it cost?

Thanks

Dave

13. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  14. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, it's unlikely I have too strong a signal but it may be worth a try. I am running the signal through a booster.

Dave

15. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If you're running thru a booster it would seem a bit Irish to put an attenuator on the cable...But good luck anyway!
    Still no email from Nebula....gonna get round to installing my blackgold card when Im not too busy with work - always the way when I get a new toy to play with...