No Internet after Windows 10 Update

vancreef

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the past 3 or so weeks my PC has automatically carried out a Windows update, but after each update I'm left with no internet. The Wi-Fi icon at the bottom right hand corner of the screen changes from the curved lines to a Globe and when I open internet settings it says I'm connected to my Router but there's no internet. Everything else in the house is still working fine. I've tried restarting the PC and rebooting the router but nothing solves it. In desperation I rolled back to the previous version of Windows and my internet came back on but PC is insisting on reapplying the latest update. I've tried to open Windows Update settings to put off the update for the time being, but the screen only appears for a split second and then vanishes, leaving me back at the desktop. So for now I am having to keep right-clicking the restart reminder and telling it to hide for now. Any ideas how I can get my internet back online after it updates yet again?
TIA.

Even though it appears your network connection is fine, I would still check for any updates to your computer's network hardware (wi-fi card). If you have a USB one lying about from anything else then that's worth trying too.

You don’t take optional updates automatically do you? If so turn that off and “never” take the hardware updates from Windows updates.

Get back using a restore point maybe to before the update and then check update settings before installing OS only updates

Even though it appears your network connection is fine, I would still check for any updates to your computer's network hardware (wi-fi card). If you have a USB one lying about from anything else then that's worth trying too.
I wanted to do that but once the update has taken place I can't get online to check for Wireless Adaptor updates. I get regular notifications from some Intel Update program that is constantly running in the background and it had one for the Wireless Adaptor only a week or so ago. Would it be worth downloading any further updates onto a flashdrive and installing after the Windows Update?

You don’t take optional updates automatically do you? If so turn that off and “never” take the hardware updates from Windows updates.

Get back using a restore point maybe to before the update and then check update settings before installing OS only updates
At the moment I can't get into my settings to turn them off. However I try to access the windows update settings, the blue screen with the cog in the middle appears for 2-3 seconds and then I end up back at my desktop. I've tried services.msc to shut down Windows Update and it just ends up showing error 1503 (I think that was the number) which when Googled comes up as having timed out.

When the problem happens again right click on the globe and run the network troubleshooter. Additionally download the latest wifi drivers if needed using a working computer. If you have to rollback disconnect from the internet temporarily, and you can pause updates for up to a month or so. STart>settings>update and security> advanced options>pause updates

When the problem happens again right click on the globe and run the network troubleshooter. Additionally download the latest wifi drivers if needed using a working computer. If you have to rollback disconnect from the internet temporarily, and you can pause updates for up to a month or so. STart>settings>update and security> advanced options>pause updates
I tried the network troubleshooter and it couldn't fix the issue. It concluded that I should restart the router and PC, which I did but it didn't fix the issue. Running the troubleshooter again just resulted in the same thing.

I found this website, it is worth running some of the fixes that you haven't tried
Ultimately it might be worth simply buying an inexpensive USB-wifi adapter and cut your losses

I found this website, it is worth running some of the fixes that you haven't tried
Ultimately it might be worth simply buying an inexpensive USB-wifi adapter and cut your losses
Thanks for that. I'll take a look.

I would also try to repair windows as you can’t get into security and updates without it crashing back to the desktop.
using an elevated (admin) command prompt type:
sfc /scannow
this finds, verifies and repairs any damaged files
After you run SFC, reboot. If you still have the issue, open the Command Prompt (admin) again and run
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and then reboot again.

I would also try to repair windows as you can’t get into security and updates without it crashing back to the desktop.
using an elevated (admin) command prompt type:
sfc /scannow
this finds, verifies and repairs any damaged files
After you run SFC, reboot. If you still have the issue, open the Command Prompt (admin) again and run
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and then reboot again.
Tried the SFC and it only got 25% of the way until this error appeared...
1622085652579.png

Tried the SFC and it only got 25% of the way until this error appeared...View attachment 1518760
Just tried the DISM method and rebooted. Still cannot open Windows Update settings. I can click on any other setting and it opens but if I click on Windows Update settings it immediately closes the settings app.

Attachments

• 20210527_043440.jpg
    20210527_043440.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 49
Just tried the DISM method and rebooted. Still cannot open Windows Update settings. I can click on any other setting and it opens but if I click on Windows Update settings it immediately closes the settings app.

I think your going down a rabbit hole with all this stuff. Lets see if we can find out why its not working rather that restoring and looking for errors. if you go to device manager (type in device manager in the search bar) and click on network adaptors can does everything look ok? any red X's or exclamation marks? What wifi card/s are listed, post a snipping too clip if you like.

I think your going down a rabbit hole with all this stuff. Lets see if we can find out why its not working rather that restoring and looking for errors. if you go to device manager (type in device manager in the search bar) and click on network adaptors can does everything look ok? any red X's or exclamation marks? What wifi card/s are listed, post a snipping too clip if you like.
I can't see anything of concern

Attachments

• 20210530_080247.jpg
    20210530_080247.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 47
OK thanks for that.

I think we should start by downloading the latest Drivers for your wireless network card as Windows updates can sometimes install inherently problematic drivers.

You can find them here or more specifically Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters

Please run the install and update the thread.
Just a graphics update. It's insisting that I restart my PC to continue. Normally I have the option to restart and install Windows Updates or just restart alone, but this time only restart shows, so it may boot me off if it updates Windows during the restart? Do I go ahead and do it?
1622364594501.png

Check this out..... If you cannot be bothered with any faffing about use this..... It just works. Read carefully first. The download file is at bottom of page.....

Ice

Yes that will be fine, go ahead and restart
I did the restart and the Intel Driver Update software re-scanned my system and then prompted me to do the exact same update again? What I don't understand is that I have this software running in the background all the thime and it pops up now and again to say that updates are available, yet it's claiming that this graphics driver is from 2015?
1622435680158.png

1622435586380.png

TBH your system has obvious corruptions and unless you want to go down the route I suggested of trying to repair the system the simplest way to resolve all this would be to create a bootable USB installer using windows media creation tool and do a fresh install. You would have to backup your data and reinstall any extra programs antivirus etc.
I wouldn’t recommend blocking windows updates as this would lead to security vulnerabilities and a loss of new features if and when MS introduces them. If you need further help on this let us know.

TBH your system has obvious corruptions and unless you want to go down the route I suggested of trying to repair the system the simplest way to resolve all this would be to create a bootable USB installer using windows media creation tool and do a fresh install. You would have to backup your data and reinstall any extra programs antivirus etc.
I wouldn’t recommend blocking windows updates as this would lead to security vulnerabilities and a loss of new features if and when MS introduces them. If you need further help on this let us know.
I have a 32Gb flashdrive somewhere with a back-up I made when I first bought the PC. I'm happy to do the Windows update. In fact I would rather keep my PC up to date, but it's pretty useless if after having updated it it can't connect to the internet. If I could just sort out that problem everything would be fine.

Ok so re: @icemanonline & @DavidG1's posts above, lets not go down the windows ten blocking updates or any tangential solutions just yet eh. I'm not saying they're are wrong or off the cards, but lets just deal with the issue at hand first, and if it can't be solved then indeed, more drastic measures may be called for.

The pics you have posted above are helpful, but what they show is firstly that it is the intel Graphics driver that is being updated and not the network driver (which is what we want to do) and secondly the date 9/10/15 that is stated there, refers to the BIOS version that your PC is running. No updating the BIOS is always a prudent thing to do but for the moment we will leave that too.

The graphic shows that the intel graphics driver is being updated, are you saying that after this completes, you get yet another notification for a graphics driver update (because it could be a notice for a different driver, you will need to take note.

Finally, did you run the driver update I gave you the link for above?

As always Let us know.

Ok so re: @icemanonline & @DavidG1's posts above, lets not go down the windows ten blocking updates or any tangential solutions just yet eh. I'm not saying they're are wrong or off the cards, but lets just deal with the issue at hand first, and if it can't be solved then indeed, more drastic measures may be called for.

The pics you have posted above are helpful, but what they show is firstly that it is the intel Graphics driver that is being updated and not the network driver (which is what we want to do) and secondly the date 9/10/15 that is stated there, refers to the BIOS version that your PC is running. No updating the BIOS is always a prudent thing to do but for the moment we will leave that too.

The graphic shows that the intel graphics driver is being updated, are you saying that after this completes, you get yet another notification for a graphics driver update (because it could be a notice for a different driver, you will need to take note.

Finally, did you run the driver update I gave you the link for above?

As always Let us know.
Yes, I did the driver update via the link. You can download their driver update software which periodically checks for updates and that's the one I have. The conflicting thing is, I also use IObit Driver Booster which does the same thing and I'm not sure if their database is up-to-date as that is saying there is a network adapter update available. I'll try that and report back.
1622461643283.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom