1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No image is being seen/recorded in sony DCR-TRV38 camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by bgrk, Dec 25, 2004.

1. bgrk

bgrk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not able view/record anything with my sony dcr-trv38. No image is displayed through either the LCD or viewfinder. It is pitch black as though the lens cap is put on. I can view previously recorded stuff on my miniDv cassette. If I try to record , sound is recorder with just black blank screen, but no image. Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks!!

2. unholy1

unholy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for resurrecting this old post, but I've recently started having the exact same problem with my DCR-TRV38 and was wondering if anyone knows the way to fix the problem?

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Over the past year or so there have been loads (and I mean literally hundreds) of camcorders that are/were just over a year old having this problem. If it is what I think then you have a camcorder built with a CCD that came from a dodgy batch made by Sony (and installed in many different makes of camcorders and digital stills cameras). The good news is that if it is this problem then you should be able to get the cam repaired for free by contacting the service department. there are loads of other forum members that have reported this problem, and the stories of how they went about getting a free repair (eventually!!!) in This thread. Get comfortable though as it is a very long read.

Good luck,
    Mark.

4. Peter Brereton

Peter Brereton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  5. unholy1

unholy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I've contacted Sony, who told me to call their "CCD repairs number" (08705 143 480, if anyone's interested), who in turn told me that I just need to send in my camera to their freepost address. The engineers will then have a look and if the problem is indeed related to a faulty CCD then they'll repair it and send it back to me free of charge!

Personally I'm convinced it's the CCD, but I'll let you all know what the final outcome is.

6. unholy1

unholy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just wanted to followup on this thread and report that Sony did indeed repair my camera free of charge! The receipt indicated that it WAS the CCD at fault.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

:thumbsup: