Question No image from PC via HDMI

pborojon

Hi guys hoping someone can help a computer illiterate fool! I returned the TV that was connected to the PC yesterday (I didn't power down the PC just unplugged HDMI) got the new TV plugged in the HDMI and got no signal. Tried powering off the PC and back on and still nothing. Tried the PC in a different TV with a different cable and still nothing. I can still watch films from my hard drive via my Nvidia Shield so I don't think it's a huge hardware problem but I'm going mental trying to figure it out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Jon

MacrosTheBlack

Have you tried taking the HDMI cable out whilst the PC is on. Reconnecting and waiting for 10 secs or so for it to be detected?

Knocked the graphics card loose perhaps? Try removing and reseating it.

pborojon

Have you tried taking the HDMI cable out whilst the PC is on. Reconnecting and waiting for 10 secs or so for it to be detected?

Knocked the graphics card loose perhaps? Try removing and reseating it.
Cheers for the reply. Yep tried the first one. Its integrated graphics so no graphics card.

MacrosTheBlack

Very strange then. Except maybe..... Have you fully powered off the pc? Sometimes they just go into standby or hibernation mode when you press the power button for a faster startup. Hold the power button down for about 6 secs and it should switch fully off. Or pull the power lead for 30 secs.

pborojon

Yep done that too. Killed the switch pulled the power cable and still nothing. Glad it's not just me who finds it odd lol.

MacrosTheBlack

More after make and model of pc? If custom built what's the motherboard?

MacrosTheBlack

Well that motherboard doesn't get very favourable reviews.... But as you say you can access files on it still via your Shield then it must be working.

Firstly, it has two HDMI outputs? You've tried both?

Secondly can you get into the BIOS and then see the screen? Press Del on the keyboard a few times as soon as you power up or you might even have a GotoBios button on the motherboard.

There's a manual for the board here:
MSI Global

If you can't get into the bios then I'd suggest clearing the CMOS as described in the manual.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Be wary with HotPlugging HDMI - you can easily fry HDMI sockets.

Is there a dedicated 'PC' Input on the New TV and are you connecting to it?

Do you have a different HDMI cable you can try out?

Try powering both the PC and the TV off at the wall, connect up as above then repower.

Joe

pborojon

Be wary with HotPlugging HDMI - you can easily fry HDMI sockets.

Is there a dedicated 'PC' Input on the New TV and are you connecting to it?

Do you have a different HDMI cable you can try out?

Try powering both the PC and the TV off at the wall, connect up as above then repower.

Joe
Ah i wonder if thats whats happened. No dedicated input but I've renamed the input and set the source type to pc. Tried a different cable and a different tv still nothing. I've tried with both tv and pc off too. Ive ordered a dvi to hdmi adapter which i suppose will tell me if its the motherboard hdmi port causing the problem.

Thanks for the reply

MacrosTheBlack

It is odd and I hope it's not the socket for your sake. Whilst it's always best to have devices off when changing cables etc. HDMI is designed to allow hotplugging. You'd only get a problem if the cable or connector was damaged or you really wacked it in the socket and loosened it from the board.

Did you try the CMOS reset or seeing if the BIOS would show?

pborojon

Odd isn't the word and I'm sure its something completely stupid! Not tried resetting the cmos reset yet but tried to get the bios to show and no dice. Cmos is the next step

pborojon

Looks like it was the HDMI port on the Motherboard. I bought a DVI to HDMI adapter and bingo picture came back.

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI may have been designed for HotPlugging - doesn't help when the system earth is running over the HDMI cable.

Avoid HotPlugging.

Joe

MacrosTheBlack

Glad you've got a work around.

Might be worth getting a good torch and checking the HDMI socket for any signs of damage. Also, with the power off, get a nice soft clean brush and give the port a good dust off just in case that helps bring it back.

If it's in warranty you could claim a replacement motherboard?

12harry

Whilst HDMI is "hot-pluggable" AFAIK there is a separate issue with TV's in that older ones didn't have switching PSUs isolation...so they could have a "live chassis" - hopefully this isn't the case ( and probably not since "Digital, anyway".) - and the fault was due to something else. BUT maybe the reason you exchanged the TV was it was being "faulty?"

- I recall too that HDMI can provide "details" - presumably to set-up whatever is driving it - or to adjust the screen prior to full connection . . . making the "fault" something to do inside the new TV, rather than the PC.
You said you'd tried the PC (with a different Monitor) and it was OK.
So that leaves the single HDMI port on the MBO - right? Have you got another TV? _ useful for a final check . . . . . . before going for "Warranty" - which might just show-up what your Vendor is worth.

Hope that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom