No idea what I need!

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Flamzypants, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Flamzypants

Flamzypants
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought my first TV, after reading decent reviews on it and having a look around the net. A bush 42" BPDP42HD3, almost immediately after I ordered it a friend that works at argos said they were awful and get returned 2-3 times a day. Lo and behold when it arrives there's foam sticking out from the top of the plasma screen, a minor thing but I checked the video quality with component cables (The 6 from an older xbox if I have that right) and it looked pretty poor so I'm having it sent back - mostly because I'm not having something that cost that much money have bits of internal foam sticking out!

But that brings me as to what to buy now. I'm not sure I trust bush as a brand after hearing more about them and experiencing this TV, though I gather it's not great quality and just large for the price. I understand the differences between 720/1080i/p, still don't know what the bush tv was in that regard.. But anyway, I have a budget of about £300 and I'm looking for quality over size after this disappointment, 42" was pretty big so I'm happy to settle for something a bit smaller if it ensures higher quality. All I will be using the TV for is game consoles for the time being so I'm just looking for good a/v, not sure what 3dhd is but I don't think I want to be wearing those daft glasses ^^

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
  4. Flamzypants

Flamzypants
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those do look good but are edging a bit out of my price range. I read through the reviews on a toshiba - how are they as a brand? I see the sound may not be fantastic on this set, and its refresh rate is 50 (Is that a bad thing? I remember my old Nintendo asking me if it wanted 50/60 15 years ago!), but I'm still pretty unsure as to how good these things are. Would it be a good idea to go to town and look in person?

Buy Toshiba 32BV702 32 Inch Full HD 1080p Freeview LCD TV at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for LCD TV's, LCD TV's.

5. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Tosh are streets ahead of Bush, that's for sure, but not quite in the same league as LG Sony or Panasonic. The Toshiba you link is a good set let down by poor sound

If 32" will do try those 3 brands for bargains

Certainly the best idea is to go round the shops and see what's on offer

Don't buy unknown brands. Each retailer has tv made to order and built down to a price. Bush features at Argos but Tesco, Currys, Morrisons all have one. They are cheap but not good value

Remember you are going to be looking at this thing for, probably, the next five years. Saving £100 now is not the way to go

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  6. Flamzypants

Flamzypants
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, shall have a look out on the town today and just stick to those 3 brands!

7. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Worth spending that bit more if you can afford it. Always spend what you can afford, I went cheaper before and regretted it and ended up spending more the following year. If you want to save money look around for a good price rather than buying a cheaper set. You tend to get what you pay for with TV's. IMO buying the low end brands to save a few quid is just wasting money.

8. Flamzypants

Flamzypants
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    It looks like the title is wrong - the resolution suggests it is indeed HD ready and not full HD

as does the LG site http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-32LS3590-led-tv

It'll accept a 1080p signal via HDMI but will scale it

10. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Can't understand why you wouldn't pay an extra £20 for the 42 LG quite honestly

11. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  12. Flamzypants

Flamzypants
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just moved to Chichester so I'm not too sure what's around here yet, but that one on Amazon looks perfect! Thank you very much for the link, I've ordered it.

Big thank you to everyone who helped me with this!!

13. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Amazon are good to buy from in my experience, RS will price match online prices and having a store to go to is a good idea. Argos are one of the if not the, most expensive places to buy a TV.