Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

No idea, first set up...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kootuu, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hey,

Just bought myself an Eltax Atomic 10 Sub, currently thinking of what amp/receiver to go for.

But I also need to decide on a speaker package as this is obviously very important. I've been looking around, hearing good things of Mission/Kef speakers, but most appear to be out of my range, I don't want to spend more than £150 on speakers.

Hoping you guys can help me as you all seem to know your stuff, better to find out the opinions of others before deciding to part with my money.

Anyway, I've had a look on the net and have stumbled across the following:

Eltax Matrix 5.0 Pack

Click here for specs

Anyway, I've heard some guys on here really do not like the cheaper Eltax speakers, but I'm wondering if these guys are really into audio systems and have heard some really good stuff.

Perhaps I wouldn't notice what they might?

Anyway, I'm wondering what other think of these speakers? Has anyone heard them?

Also, do you think RS would have a set of these for me to demo. I don't know of anywhere else that let you demo equipment.

Regards,
    Chris

P.S I forgot to mention, the dimensions for the speakers don't seem to be correct. It says the Fronts(the floorstanders I presume) are 160mm high. It then says the rears are 125 high? Those seem completely wrong compared to the comparisons from the pictures?

Also, it doesn't seem to mention that the Fronts are shielded. This would totally mess me, as these speakers are going to be RIGHT next to my TV as I don't have the room to spread them out. It seems a bit odd to shield the rears but not the fronts?

2. philipjg

philipjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry I can't help you but let us know how you get on with the sub. I was so tempted to get one today from RS but decided to try and save a bit more. Not really sure if I did the right thing though.

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Front x2: 2 way closed dome, 88bD, 4-8 ohms, 900h/ 125w/ 165d mm, 5.9Kg
    Rear x2: 22mm dome, 87dB, 4-8ohms 160h/ 125w/ 165d mm, 1.3Kg each
    Centre: 100Watts RMS, 125h/260w/165d mm

These are the dims from the QED website. I have not heard this particular package. I am however an Eltax owner and have tried other Eltax speaker packages, with good results.
    Do RS stock this set? They are not on the website. If yes you can take them home for a week to try out.

Regards, Mylo

4. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yea It's not on their site but perhaps they do stock them instore? Or do you show everything they stock on their site?

Out of curiosity what set of Eltax speakers are you using? Also, what amp/receiver?

I had a look at the information you provided from the QED site, means little to me :D I'm assuming it's fair...

One thing that concerns me is the lack of mention for shielding...

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The dimensions at least show the size difference between front and back, little else.:D
    RS may have them in store, here's hoping.

I have Eltax L.R 6.5 floor standers, big buggers, bought here on this very forum. They are driven by an Arcam A7r integrated amp, fed by a Marantz SR4200 receiver. I had L.R 6.6 as well but 4 floor standers was too much.

Regards, Mylo

6. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Ahh right, missed those H/W/D info :D

It mentions an RMS of 100 Watts. So does that mean it's basically 20 Watts per speaker seeing as there are five? Or each speaker outputs 100 Watts?

Also, regarding RS. Only one shop near me, London Kingston branch has an A.V Demo Room. All of the others only have Hi Fi Demo Rooms. I'm assuming I would need to visit an A.V Demo shop to demo a surround sound speaker set up?

7. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The power figures are per speaker.
    I have not tried an RS demo room yet. I normally buy the kit and take it home to test. If after 6 days I'm not happy, it goes back on the 7th day for a full refund or exchange.

I'm not that keen on the staff at Kingston, I prefer the Reading shop.

8. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    RS offer a no hassle refund then?

Kingston is far enough, Reading is WAYY too far for me...specially as I can't drive. :(

9. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Yes, it's in their Ts & Cs.

10. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for your help mylo :D

Anyone able to recommend a set of 5 speakers from the RS stock list for under £150 so I can give them a go?

I'm going to give them a call and see if they have any of those Eltax Matrix in stock.

Still wondering if anyone has heard this set in action?