1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No HT Bypass on C31 Preamplifier

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by gostan, Aug 10, 2005.

1. gostan

gostan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering a separate 2 channel preamplifier for vinyl and redbook cd listening. A home theater bypass would appear to be critical to me as the preamp will be part of one main ht system. An Aragon 8008 will power the mains. I am using N803's for the front speakers. I would like to consider the Arcam C31, but it does not appear to have a ht bypass like the Krell P-280 or the VTL 2.5 preamplifiers. Am I correct? And if so, does anybody have any other suggestions. I will be using a separate HT receiver or pre/pro and amp (still to be decided upon) for this system upgrade.

Thanks for any comments/advice.

Stan

2. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Stan

The C31 has a processor mode, isn't that what you're looking for? You'd need to adjust the gain to get the right balance though.

Cheers

3. gostan

gostan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure. It does appear that I could go out from my processor into the tape inputs and that the procesor mode would allow me to fix the volume of the C31 to drive the front speakers in surround system from the separate processor. So, would I then simply have to hit the tape input to bypass the processor and just use the C31 in 2 channel? The other preamps I looked at have a tape loop and a processor loop. You then simply hit the HT/processor in or out switch or button to go back and forth between the HT/processor or the 2 channel preamp. The C31 may do this also through the tape input, but that is a little more cumbersome, isn't it?

4. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Certainly the c30 can do what your after. You simply connect the pre outs from your AV to the tape/ processor input 1 on the rear of the c30. When you want to use the AV you just press the tape button to put it into processor mode and the word 'fixed' comes up on the display along with 'proc'. Press it again when you are finished to put it back into the pre-amp mode you were using such as CD. The tape loop can take a number of things like VCR's etc if you want. Worth looking at the manual on the Arcam site.

5. gostan

gostan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume that the same would be true of the C31 tape input. The Krell and VTL units simply have a sound processor labelled input bypass input.

Thanks for your responses. Now my question is: How does the Arcam C31 preamp sound when compared to a Krell KAV P280 or similar/comparable preamp. I am thinking of purchasing the Arcam C31 and the CD36 for two channel (I will be listening to them tomorrow or Friday) with a still undecided home theater receiver. I would consider the AVR300, but the lack of hdmi switching is a concern, so I am looking at a Denon 4806 or a Sherwood-Newcastle R-965 (there is a matching external hdmi switcher on the way). I am 70%music and 30%ht.

Good evening to all.