1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no hi-fi sound from analog

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dvdud, Jan 22, 2005.

1. dvdud

dvdud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. My new tv, vid and dvd package (Sony)is almost perfectly set up but I have one last niggling and frustrating prob. I have sky and this I can get through my hi fi. The problem is i can’t get hi fi sound out of my normal (analog) channels ie BBC!,2,ITV,4 and five. My set-up before (33inch grundig) crt had a phono to scart lead plugged into LDTV on the amp with scart into the video. My new package was installed by the delivery guys and we thought we’d be pushing things a bit by asking them to set the hi-fi up as well because 1) they were having a few problems setting up anyway and 2) the hifi was not part of the package – which consists of my 2 sets of old but decent speakers plus a jamo speaker which came with my equally old but working Yamaha pro logic amp.
    I’m easily confused by what goes where regarding scarts etc and so need all help I can get if any is forthcoming. At the moment the set up – as left by the delivery/installation guys (not including my attempts at adding the phono leads) is as follows:-

1. SKY BOX top scart (video) to top of video. Bottom scart on Sky box (tv) to bottom scart on the tv
    2. TV (SONY 32”) the top scart of the tv has a 3 scart push button selector box added with the dvd player connected to one of the available sockets. In the second of the available sockets a scart is going into line 1 of the video recorder (bottom of vid).
    3. the Amp in its previous carnation had a phono to scart lead (phono plugs connected to the LDTV and the scart into the vid. I just purchased a set of phono to phono leads (JVC) and have tried Ldtv on the amp to video as well as the vcr 1 on the amp to video but still no hi-fi from ‘normal’ bbc1,2 etc. I tried putting the phono leads into the tv vut the sound wa really quiet. I could turn the volume on the amp to max and is still wouldn’t be loud..

If anyone can help I’d really appreciate it. Cheers

ps if u need any more info let me know.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Like the animals in Animal Farm, not all scart sockets are created equal. I can't understand why you have connected everything up this way but if you gave us details of the model numbers of the TV and DVD player it would help us check out the available connection options

3. dvdud

dvdud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much Ian for answering. Having checked the forum late last night and this morn and seeing no reply i didn't really expect one to be there - though thought i'd check anyway! I have read various links on connecting up but didn't find the answer to my hi-fi problems. Also would like to use the push button scart selector box so i won't need to unplug a scart from the tv or video in order to add the dvd player when i occasionaly want to watch a film. Using the video remote and using the 'prog' + and - buttons i can now get sky (line 1 and 2 ) as well as the terrestrial channels in hi-fi. I cannot however tape a sky programme and have a terrestrial channel in hi-fi - if that makes any sense

CURRENT SET-UP IS:
    SKY BOX: top (vcr) > top of video recorder
    bottom (tv) > bottom scart of tv

TV: top scart > video recorders bottom scart
    new SONY PACKAGE CONSISTING OF
    KD32DX51 television
    SLV-SE740 video recorder
    DVP-NS355 dvd player
    old
    YAMAHA DSP-A590 pro logic amp
    PAIR YAMAHA NS-A600 HI-FI SPEAKERS
    PAIR RAM 200 HI-FI SPEAKERS
    JAMO (centre) speaker
    The Jamo came with the Yamaha amp which was bought secondhand years back
    For amusement/clarification i have added a link which may help - or not
    http://photoslondon.netfirms.com/barrys.htm

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I assume that you have the scart switcher into AV1 socket on your TV so that you can take advantage of RGB pictures from both with the far poorer quality obtainable from a VCR being fed into AV2.

In order to listen to terrestrial TV through the Yamaha you will need to connect a pair of phono cables to the audio out sockets on the back of the TV (I assume that the Sony has them) and the other end to a spare pair of audio inputs on the Yamaha.

Whilst your Yamaha may have been a good amp in it's day, it's day has unfortunately long passed in this fast moving AV world as it is a Pro Logic only amp.

I would suggest that you think about upgrading to a more modern amp as they all now decode Dolby Digital and DTS which means that you can watch films on the DVD player in full surround sound glory and you will also find that Pro Logic 2 is far superior for watching TV programmes.