No headphone sockets anymore?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Mr Crow, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Mr Crow

Mr Crow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My current all-in-one has packed up and I'm looking for a new one. Budget £500-£700 (or less). However, none of the ones I've seen so far have a socket for headphones. One or two can take bluetooth but those are not the droids I'm looking for.

Have headphones with these things gone the way of the dinosaur?

Cheers.

2. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I have an excellent set of wireless headphones but can use them no more with my recent (Panasonic) all in one system as it does not have an earphone socket.
    However I have long realized of course that i can plug the earphones directly into my smart phone or tablet
    that I carry around with me. So the wireless base station and receiver are now redundant.

3. TTony6500

TTony6500
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just logged into this excellent forum to ask the same question ! I have a Samsung HT E6500W which is a reasonable all-in-one system, certainly for my cloth ears. Never thought look at time of purchase as assumed it would have everything BUT it is also without a 3.5mm headphone output.

What are my options here ? It has bluetooth, but only inwards. There are no extra audio outputs, so cant connect into these in a hooky fashion.

I'm wondering if I can tap into the HDMI output and rob the audio via a 3.5mm jack there ? would want to control volume though if this is an option.

Hope you guys can help. I'll keep googling in the meantime.

cheers
    Tony

4. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    If you set "speaker selection" to "tv speakers", you should be able to connect headphones to your TV, /if/ you have a way of connecting headphones to your TV.
    Tapping HDMI is, both technically and legally difficult; HDCP encrypts the whole stream as a copyright protection measure.
    You'd need the TV on anyway do participate in the HDCP authentication, without which you should get precisely nothing out of the HDMI out anyway.
    --
    Regards, Iain.

5. TTony6500

TTony6500
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Iain

the problem remains then as I output to an epsom twh6100 projector, which also has no headphone socket, or any other form of audio out ! Can't believe that this simple thing has been overlooked/omitted from the spec list.

Is there any workaround here that I've missed ?

Cheers
    Tony

6. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89

Hi. PC1-601, which will take the amplified speaker signal and provide a line level signal, which should drive a wireless headphone transmitter, or headphone amplifier. Looks like the WirelessHD option on that projector has TOSLINK out, which is easier to convert for headphone use. believe turtle beach sell headphones with TOSLINK input.
    autoleadsautoleadsautoleadautoleaautoleautolautoautoautautaua thethetheththt likelikelikeliklilil thingsthingsthingthinthinthiththt withwithwitwitwiwiw outputsoutputsoutputoutputoutpuoutpoutpoutoutououo speakerspeakerspeakerspeakespeakespeakspeakspeaspeaspespespsps taptaptat peoplepeoplepeoplepeoplpeoppeopeopep ,worldworldworldworlw-- Iain.orwowow automotiveautomotiveautomotiveautomotivautomotiautomotautomoautomoautomautoautoautautaua thethetheththt inininii butbutbutbubub .brokenbrokenbrokebrokebrokbrokbrobrobrbrb decidedlydecidedlydecidedlydecidedldecidedldecideddecidedecidedeciddecidecdecded gonegonegonegongongog asasa forumforumforumforuforuforforfofof thusthusthusthuththt asasa ,intelligibleintelligableintelligableintelligablintelligabintelligaintelligaintelligintelligintelliintellintellintelintelinteintininii bebeb willwillwillwilwiwiw thusthusthusthuththt ifififii DunnoDunnoDunnDunnDunDuDuD