No HDR through amp on Tv

BarryCamero

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi to anyone that can help.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR676E, LG B7 OLED and Xbox one X.

I have the Xbox connected to my amp and amp connected to the TV but when playing the Xbox it won't let me play in HDR and it says your TV can't play hdr10 gaming. It can because it's been working great for the past month. I've reset the TV Onkyo and Xbox but I still can't get the HDR to work. I have deep colour enabled on the TV. If I connect the Xbox straight to the TV everything is fine and plays HDR without any problems as does watching Netflix.

Could someone please give me any help as this is doing my head in.

Thanks a million✋

Is there a hdmi option in your amp for expanded mode or mode 1/2, some amps limit hdmi by default for compatibility and to make it go full fat you sometimes have to enable the expanded / extended function ..

Or the tv hdmi maybe has a similar option..

Or the tv hdmi maybe has a similar option..
Hi

Thanks for the kind reply.

The only option is HDMI CEC or THROUGH nothing like you mentioned. The TV only has simplink and deep colour. Still not making a difference. Tried resetting the amp Xbox and TV several times. I don't get how it's just stopped working. Like I say, the TV and Xbox are playing full HDR.

I've tried every option on the TV and amp. Maybe you could find something on the amp that I'm missing?

Thanks again for taking the time to help!!

Was the Xbox plugged directly into the tv before? On some TVs only certain inputs support full features. If so maybe ensure amp is plugged into an enhanced input on the tv? If not there’s an outside chance it could be hdmi cables if you’ve been moving things around, maybe one of the cables is not an 18gb hdmi cable?!?

Was the Xbox plugged directly into the tv before? On some TVs only certain inputs support full features. If so maybe ensure amp is plugged into an enhanced input on the tv? If not there’s an outside chance it could be hdmi cables if you’ve been moving things around, maybe one of the cables is not an 18gb hdmi cable?!?
The Xbox was connected to the TV directly and last month I connected the box to hdmi 4 (game) on the Onkyo and the hdmi main on the amp to HDMI arc 2 on the TV. I bought two new 18 Gbps hdmi 2.0 cables today but still getting the same error.

I'm really at a loss lol

And I guess that hdmi input has ‘HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour’ enabled? If so and your cables are fine then it maybe a similar hdmi setting on the amp?

And I guess that hdmi input has ‘HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour’ enabled? If so and your cables are fine then it maybe a similar hdmi setting on the amp?
Yeah deep colour is definitely on. There's no option in the amp for anything like that. Tried hdmi CEC on and off on the amp but still no HDR showing. Could the amp maybe be faulty?

Thanks again bro.

Does your amp have 2 hdmi outputs? Do you have a PJ or any other display connected at the same time as the LG TV? Read something that said if you have 2 displays connected and 1 does not support HDR the amp turns HDR off for both displays!?! If it has 2 hdmi outs have you tried the other output maybe?

Does your amp have 2 hdmi outputs? Do you have a PJ or any other display connected at the same time as the LG TV? Read something that said if you have 2 displays connected and 1 does not support HDR the amp turns HDR off for both displays!?! If it has 2 hdmi outs have you tried the other output maybe?
The amp has 2 hdmi outputs. Main and sub. Tried the sub hdmi but still nothing. I don't have a projector or anything else plugged into the TV or amp. Like you said, it's as if the HDR has been turned off somehow but then I don't understand why it says your TV doesn't support 4k at 60hz either. It's definitely not a fault of the TV or Xbox.

Using your Xbox direct to the tv so you get hdr, can you test the cables between the Xbox and amp and also the cable between amp and tv just to prove they definitely can pass the signal? And maybe also test the Xbox with a known cable into the hdmi input on the tv that the amp is currently using. Clutching at straws a bit now, but if it’s not the input on the tv or the cables then it sounds like a setting on the amp. Have you had any hdr signal go via the amp?

Using your Xbox direct to the tv so you get hdr, can you test the cables between the Xbox and amp and also the cable between amp and tv just to prove they definitely can pass the signal? And maybe also test the Xbox with a known cable into the hdmi input on the tv that the amp is currently using. Clutching at straws a bit now, but if it’s not the input on the tv or the cables then it sounds like a setting on the amp. Have you had any hdr signal go via the amp?

Sorry I'm a little bit lost lol. I connect one hdmi from Xbox to hdmi 4 on the amp and the other hdmi from HDMI main on the amp to the hdmi arc on the TV. I was getting hdr through the amp until yesterday. Then all of a sudden the TV is displaying your TV doesn't support HDR 10 gaming. I thought a reset of the amp would have sorted it. There's no other options in the amp to change any sort of hdr, Just hdmi cec and through.

These are the new HDMI cables I bought today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190922-222623.png
    Screenshot_20190922-222623.png
    403.9 KB · Views: 30
One other thing I read, the hdmi input on your tv has not accidentally been put into pc mode (may see a computer symbol when selecting input) as this is meant to block hdr working on that input.

One other thing I read, the hdmi input on your tv has not accidentally been put into pc mode (may see a computer symbol when selecting input) as this is meant to block hdr working on that input.
Definitely not in pc mode. Ive tried all other icons without any joy.

Hmm, scratching my head really now. Did it stop working when you put in the new cables or did it just randomly stop one day? I’ve bought cables previously meant to be 4k, but some aren’t. Usually shorter ones are ok though, it’s only when over 4-5m you tend to start to get issues...

Would it indicate a fault with the amp as all my equipment has been reset to factory settings.
Dunno, what’s the background, has it ever worked through the amp, is the amp on latest fw?!?

Hmm, scratching my head really now. Did it stop working when you put in the new cables or did it just randomly stop one day? I’ve bought cables previously meant to be 4k, but some aren’t. Usually shorter ones are ok though, it’s only when over 4-5m you tend to start to get issues...
I bought the cables after this happened. It just randomly stopped working.

Seems odd, guessing you’ve tried the Xbox on different inputs on the amp? Everything points to amp being most likely candidate..

I bought the cables after this happened. It just randomly stopped working.
Has been working great through the amp and then I loaded FIFA and noticed HDR didn't show on the load up screen. So i CHECKED the Xbox display settings and that's when I noticed it was showing as TV can't play hdr10 gaming. It's on the latest firmware which I updated last week.

Has been working great through the amp and then I loaded FIFA and noticed HDR didn't show on the load up screen. So i CHECKED the Xbox display settings and that's when I noticed it was showing as TV can't play hdr10 gaming. It's on the latest firmware which I updated last week.
Yeah mate, tried all the other hdmi ports on the amp. It must be a fault with the amp surley.

Yeah mate, tried all the other hdmi ports on the amp. It must be a fault with the amp surley.
Stupid question, but what is the sub hdmi output for in the amp? There's an option for hdmi main or sub or main+sub. Doesn't make a difference if I choose it though.

Recent firmware update on the AVR?

Can you download the previous firmware version onto a USB thumb drive & manually roll back?

If it's just updated & everything was fine beforehand & your Xbox works fine with a direct connection to the TV, the firmware update on the AVR is probably the most likely explanation!!

Have you tried contacting Onkyo directly about this too?
H

Recent firmware update on the AVR?

Can you download the previous firmware version onto a USB thumb drive & manually roll back?

If it's just updated & everything was fine beforehand & your Xbox works fine with a direct connection to the TV, the firmware update on the AVR is probably the most likely explanation!!

Have you tried contacting Onkyo directly about this too?
H
Hi Arctic.

I updated the firmware last week and I did wonder if that's what has caused the issue. I've taken it back to richer sound's and they have sent it to be looked at.

I couldn't find any firmware from previous only the most recent. I will let you guys know what happens when I hear back incase this helps other users in the future.

Thanks to you both for the awesome help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom