Kevo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to get HDR output on the Billy Lynn UHD (UK release), only vanilla 4K, yet the status on the screen says 'Dynamic Range Conversion Output' , HDR(PQ).

My player is the Panasonic UB700 and TV is the Panasonic TX-55CX802.

I've never had any problems before with HDR on 4K UHDs or PS4 Pro games, only the Netflix app on the player where I still cannot get HDR, but can via the app on the Ps4 Pro!

Is it due to the 60fps perhaps being too much for the player and/or TV to output HDR?

I can't seem to get HDR output on the Billy Lynn UHD (UK release), only vanilla 4K, yet the status on the screen says 'Dynamic Range Conversion Output' , HDR(PQ).

My player is the Panasonic UB700 and TV is the Panasonic TX-55CX802.

I've never had any problems before with HDR on 4K UHDs or PS4 Pro games, only the Netflix app on the player where I still cannot get HDR, but can via the app on the Ps4 Pro!

Is it due to the 60fps perhaps being too much for the player and/or TV to output HDR?
What is your 50/60HZ setting on the UB700? It will only output properly in one of them (it's in the on screen setup help info for this). It's probably pushing this across as 8 bit rather than the 10 or 12 needed for HDR. Check your playback status info to see what it's outputting on the HDMI port.

Last edited:
What is your 50/60HZ setting on the UB700? It will only output properly in one of them (it's in the on screen setup help info for this). It's probably pushing this across as 8 bit rather than the 10 or 12 needed for HDR. Check your playback status info to see what it's outputting on the HDMI port.

The HDMI Output is set to '4K(50p/60p) 4:2:0 which is the only one I can use and is fine with 24p content and PS4 pro games which I assume are also 60fps?

Playback status says 'Dynamic Range Conversion Output' , HDR(PQ)', which is what it normally says with other HDR content

This disc was an absolute pain in the ass for me to get to work initially.
The only real way to have this working from a panny ub700/900 is to have the following picture output if memory serves;

4K 60Hz @ YcbCr 4.2.2 12bit HDR - This really does test the top end of the available bandwidth though and will totally fail if your cable or tv (the CX may not be tbh) are not up to scratch.

There wasn't an option for forced 10bit (as apposed to 12bit) on the panny when i was trying.
You'll need to go into the 'playback info' pop up screen on the player to check the status of playback. The ub900 has a dedicated button for it, it's hidden in the disc playback picture settings as well on the ub700.

The HDMI Output is set to '4K(50p/60p) 4:2:0 which is the only one I can use and is fine with 24p content and PS4 pro games which I assume are also 60fps?

Playback status says 'Dynamic Range Conversion Output' , HDR(PQ)', which is what it normally says with other HDR content
This sounds like a classic HDMI bandwidth issue. If you have set the 4K60 output on the player to 4:2:0 then it will pass a 4K60 signal but only at 8-bit 4:2:0 SDR. What happens if you try and change that option to 4:4:4?

This sounds like a classic HDMI bandwidth issue. If you have set the 4K60 output on the player to 4:2:0 then it will pass a 4K60 signal but only at 8-bit 4:2:0 SDR. What happens if you try and change that option to 4:4:4?

That's fixed it, thanks and also to samdavies for pointing me in the right direction.
It was set to 4:2:0 before and i'm sure the last time I tried to change it (which was a while ago) it wouldn't let me. Maybe a firmware update changed things?
Also, after changing it I can finally see Netflix in HDR!
Thanks all

PS, love the 60fps HFR and hope more films will be made like this. It just lends itself to 4K but lets not debate it here as i know its quite a contentious subject!

nah, my ub900 always states that as well.

If your player is saying that then you are not getting hdr correctly mate. That's what it says for non hdr tv's or when the correct settings have not been chosen.

If your player is saying that then you are not getting hdr correctly mate. That's what it says for non hdr tv's or when the correct settings have not been chosen.
I'll be a little confused how I'm not getting hdr correctly tbh. The ub900 is passing full 4k rec2020 12bit hdr ycbcr 4.4.4 through to my dx902 - which correctly switches into hdr mode. The same can be said for my ub700 and sammy ks8000 upstairs.

The ub900 has always said that ever since I've used it as far as i can remember actually. Only reason i can think of the message (unless its a bug) is because the picture is being output in 12bit 4.4.4 instead of 10bit.

I'll be a little confused how I'm not getting hdr correctly tbh. The ub900 is passing full 4k rec2020 12bit hdr ycbcr 4.4.4 through to my dx902 - which correctly switches into hdr mode. The same can be said for my ub700 and sammy ks8000 upstairs.

The ub900 has always said that ever since I've used it as far as i can remember actually. Only reason i can think of the message (unless its a bug) is because the picture is being output in 12bit 4.4.4 instead of 10bit.

Trust me mate its not right, is there a hdmi setting on your tv that needs to be enabled? On my LG it is uhd deep colour that needs to be on, find out what your tv needs to have on, also it could be your receiver that is blocking it, that may need a setting or a certain hdmi port. Try going direct to tv with the ub900, that could tell you if its the receiver, which looks like the culprit.

Also check on the ub900, all settings should be on auto where possible.

Trust me mate its not right, is there a hdmi setting on your tv that needs to be enabled? On my LG it is uhd deep colour that needs to be on, find out what your tv needs to have on, also it could be your receiver that is blocking it, that may need a setting or a certain hdmi port. Try going direct to tv with the ub900, that could tell you if its the receiver, which looks like the culprit.

Also check on the ub900, all settings should be on auto where possible.
Yeah both players go direct to tv and the hdr mode is enabled and the tv registers the rec2020 wcg incoming as well. Must be some odd clash of configuration settings between the 2 then, ill have a play about later as it'll just bug me now you've said it :rotfl:

Yeah both players go direct to tv and the hdr mode is enabled and the tv registers the rec2020 wcg incoming as well. Must be some odd clash of configuration settings between the 2 then, ill have a play about later as it'll just bug me now you've said it :rotfl:

You need to mate, I will take pics later to show what you should have, compared to what you have now. I would try other hdmi ports on the tv as only certain ones might be tge right ones to use.

Its the output on the player you need to see, it will always show the input correctly.

You need to mate, I will take pics later to show what you should have, compared to what you have now. I would try other hdmi ports on the tv as only certain ones might be tge right ones to use.

Its the output on the player you need to see, it will always show the input correctly.
Ignore me i was talking absolute shit. Neither of my players are conversion output :rotfl: both say HDR as they should.

I'm not sure whether I'm going mad or if my tv was having a funny 5 the last time i used it but i swear it's said that regularly before now. O well, nevermind :rolleyes:

Ignore me i was talking absolute sh*t. Neither of my players are conversion output :rotfl: both say HDR as they should.

I'm not sure whether I'm going mad or if my tv was having a funny 5 the last time i used it but i swear it's said that regularly before now. O well, nevermind :rolleyes:

Haha at least it works properly, even if your brain doesn't. :rotfl::rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom