Question No HDR...am I missing out on much?

beatfreakboy

Novice Member
Reaction score
6 months ago, I bought the Sony KD-49X8307C 4K TV and up until recently I thought it was the bees knees.

It cost about £750.

Then HDR comes out of the blue and everyone is raving about it now.

My TV is one of the few that Sony have not updated (no plans to either) but strangely the USB playback supports hdr.

I have netflix and Amazon accounts, do you think HDR will work on those? I'm guessing the lack of upgrade is due to the HDMI ports.

I have a ps4 pro and can't help thinking I'm missing not having HDR.

Am I really missing out or should I get on with my life and stop thinking about new TVS?

There will always be new technologies that come. 4K is the next big thing (3D has died a death). If you are not thirsting for not, then don't worry, it's just that xmas is coming up and so retailers are really pushing the new tech out to get people to buy it.

You'll see a difference, but there'll likely be big improvements in HDR implementations at £700 over the next couple of years so I wouldn't be any hurry to buy a new TV.

I'm in the same situation, I was an earlyish adopter of 4k, I've had my midrange 60inch LG for about 18 months. Obviously its not HDR capable, and you can now now get 60inch HDR sets from the likes of Samsung for £800.

I ordered an Xbox One S and a few choice games today, but I won't get the benefit of HDR for a while as I'm going to wait for the technology to mature. Ideally, my next television will be of the OLED variety.

I'm just bitter, I'm seeing 10bit hdr tvs going for less than I paid for mine today.

I'm impressed with the 4k picture, for example, Grand Tour in amazon looks stunning and I can't even imagine how HDR improves the picture more than it is already.

I might bite for a new TV once they announce the Scorpio next year, PS4 Pro looks decent on my current TV

I came close to ordering a 65inch Samsung 4k HDR set today. I think it was entry level and probably an 8 bit panel, so some pseudo HDR rather than the real thing but my willpower was tested.

I think the 8bit stuff sounds like a bit of a false economy. like HD ready instead of full HD.

It hardly makes much difference to a good 4k picture. Next year they will be convincing you that you need faster frame rate technology. The manufacturers always use something to persuade people they need to upgrade, especially after they got their fingers burned over the demise of 3D. Broadcasters can barely keep pace with providing all these "improvements".

Just look at the number of posts on the forum from people who are unsure if they are watching HDR or not. They all seem to want some graphic indication as to whether HDR is in operation. If it is that fantastic it should be obvious.

Last edited:
Obviously its not HDR capable, and you can now now get 60inch HDR sets from the likes of Samsung for £800.

I'm just bitter, I'm seeing 10bit hdr tvs going for less than I paid for mine today.

TVs at that price at the moment have only the barest rudiments of HDR with hardly any brightness range and no backlight control. If you get rid of your very new TVs for one of them then I guarantee you that you'll regret it in a year or two.

What matters is the 4K detail and wide color gamut, HDR is just for some highlight effects, is mostly marketing. When you look at new TVs look at the wide color gamut capability that is what matters most. Some cheap new TV can only do less than 80% of DCI color some can do close to 100%, HDR won't have that sort of impact as WCG on it's own. I am stripping HDR in the signal chain and displaying SDR WCG for the best results.

4k blu ray hdr is stunning. The revenant, deadpool and xmen days of future past are a few examples. Turn hdr off though and it's hard to tell the differnce between 4k and a good blu ray.

Just checked my wide color gamut score on rtings and that's 6.5, which is crap! back to wondering what I'm missing out on! ha!

No seriously, it's a good TV and I'll see how the HDR stuff develops over the next 18 months or so

4k blu ray hdr is stunning. The revenant, deadpool and xmen days of future past are a few examples. Turn hdr off though and it's hard to tell the differnce between 4k and a good blu ray.
When you say turn off HDR you simply cannot, when you turn it off you also turn off WCG which is why you don't see the difference after, the only way is to strip it form the signal and keep WCG is with the HDFury.

Old amp was 4k pass through not hdr complaint. comparing it through amp and then direct feed to hdr tv.
I notice HDR far more than 4k. Gears 4 on the xbox one s is a great example. It looks drab one my son's normal xbox.

Last edited:
Old amp was 4k pass through not hdr complaint. comparing it through amp and then direct feed to hdr tv.
I notice HDR far more than 4k. Gears 4 on the xbox one s is a great example. It looks drab one my son's normal xbox.
Again is WCG you are noticing most not HDR (it's just the marketing term which is incorrect) its also incorrect saying that it deepens black levels, it does not, in fact quite the opposite in many cases due to the brightness requirements for HDR highlights. The HDFury built a whole market around this to remove HDR and keep WCG. Most likely your old amp not HDCP 2.0a compliant would make the player send 4K SDR REC709 NOT BT2020 which is most commonly the case so the only difference over normal bluray is the resolution. The HD Fury gets around it and sends 4K SDR BT2020.

So again what you see is the old color format on your old AVR.

There are plenty of discussion on this already.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom