No Hdmi single with some Devices but not others

Timjrea

Novice Member
Reaction score
So here's the issue. I have a TV that I hook up in my backyard occasionally and have installed a box with an HDMI Port on it for ease of hooking the TV up. That box has a wire that connects inside it and runs through the wall to a closet in my house where it attaches to a 4 way HDMI splitter which in turn is connected to a cable box. The problem I'm having is I'm not getting a signal to the outdoor tv. The other two that I have connected to it work fine. The outdoor tv has worked fine for months and now all of a sudden just keeps coming up no signal.

I have troubleshooted it a bit and this is what I have determined. Connected the wire that goes through the wall straight to my cable box still yeilds no signal however if I connect the wire straight to my Roku I get a signal. At the same time if I connect it to the Roku through the splitter I get no signal. Now I would believe it was the splitter but then the wire should work when connected directly to the cable box yet it doesn't. Could it possibly be an issue with the splitter, cable box, wore combo.

I'm at a bit of a loss and how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replacing the HDMI in the wall is not really possible.

How long is the cable? If it's degraded a little bit due to the elements, it might just have gone far enough out of spec that the TV cannot correctly lock to the cable box. Different HDMI sources and TVs have different tolerances to this, which is why some sources work better than others.

2 things to try: Run an HDMI of the same length and see if the TV will work with it. If so, you know the cable is faulty and you may have to replace. If this is the case, think about running in some Cat 6/7 at the same time, as this can be re-terminated if the connection fails and you can fit HDMI converters which you can remove when not in use.

2nd thing to try is an HDMI splitter as a booster next to the TV. This will restore the HDMI signal to a certain extent and may improve it enough for the TV to work correctly.

As above unless the kit you are using is designed for external use you could simply have some degradation going on with one of the installed HDMI cables.

Cable length and signal format are what tends to make or break a 'working' system - simplify the connectivity to Source > Cable > TV and try altering the source signal between HD and UHD (assuming you require both).

What is the external box you are using and if I follow correctly there are three cables going to it and presumably three cables from it to the TV?

Joe

The cable is about 20 feet long. I tried connecting a second splitter out by the tv but still no signal. Connecting a 30 foot HDMI in its place does deliver a signal. So I'm assuming it is the cable. Is their anything I can do to clean or restore the existing cable to get it to work?

Joe, it is an external electrical box with an a sealed cover. Inside the box I have a HDMI/coax wall plate. The HDMI connects to the plate on the inside and like you said a third HDMI connects from the the wall box to the TV. I also have a coax cable wire that runs to that box as well. So I do have the option of putting a cable box outside with the tv and wiring straight to the tv. But the ease of simply plugging the TV HDMI into the the wall box and not having to hook up a cable box and boot it up is preffered

HDMI cables can be pretty difficult to terminate (assuming the issue is with the connector) and no guarantee it will work at all resolutions, you could try terminating to a panel mount HDMI socket if you are patient and have decent soldering skills.

Another option is to use the HDMI cable as a 'CAT' cable and add in suitable extenders!

Is there only one long HDMI cable going to the External box?

Joe

There is one HDMI that goes from the cable box to the splitter from the splitter is a 20 foot HDMI that goes through the wall to the outside box that connects to the backside of the HDMI port in the box and than a short 3' HDMI from the port in the outdoor box to the TV

Can you further elaborate on using the HDMI as a cat cable?

Thanks

Have you tried bypassing the Female to Female HDMI connector - ideally you would try an 'active' (powered) Extender such as the HDFury DR HDMI or DR HDMI 4K to stabilise the signal.

If all else fails you can terminate the cable with RJ45 plugs and try using an HDMI over CAT Extender to deliver a signal across the cable.

There is no standard colour code with HDMI so it takes a bit of time to plan out the connections once you chop and strip the HDMI ends off of the installed cable.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom