No HDMI output

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Mr.Everready, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Mr.Everready

Mr.Everready
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For some reason my 360 has decided not to show using a hdmi cable.

It was fine yesterday morning but when I plugged it in again last night it came up with "invalid format"

It's been tried on another tv and it has the same problem. ( this time it says "over range" ) I've tried another lead too. My sons 360 works fine so I know its not the tv's. With the component cables it work also. The Tv's are not 1080p but the xbox is set to 720 or even 480 ( through component ) and its the same thing.

Anyone had this ? The Xbox is only a couple of months old.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  2. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    My 360 went back to MS to be fixed when after 11months it stopped showing any images via HDMI or Component. I would say that the GPU or HANA chip has gone in yours.
    Go back to the retailer and get an exchange, just the console forget about the other bits and bobs. If they refuse, which Comet did for me, then it will be a trip to MS for the console https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?&linksrc=xbox_device

You can also try resetting the display.

To reset the display settings of the Xbox 360 console to the default settings, follow these steps:

1. Remove any discs from the disc tray.
    2. Turn off the console.
    3. Turn on the console.

Note If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, turn on the console by using the Xbox Guide button on the controller. Wait for the guide light to indicate that the controller has linked to the console.

Note Make sure that you use the player 1 controller when you do this. The player 1 controller is indicated by the upper-left quadrant light on the console.
    4. As the console starts, press and hold the Y button as you pull the right trigger.

Note This action causes the Xbox Dashboard to reset the display settings to the default settings. The console then automatically restarts.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. Mr.Everready

Mr.Everready
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've tried resetting the resolution quite a few times already, it makes no difference.

It's been used on HDMI on only a handful of occassions.

As for taking it back, it was bought from Woolies a few weeks before they closed down.

4. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934

Well it will be a trip to MS then. Is the issue via only HDMI, because it could be an issue with the TVs and the HDCP handshake, although I think the console is naffed.

5. Mr.Everready

Mr.Everready
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's only on HDMI that this occurs. The TV's know there's something there but can't display it. It'll be used 90% of the time using the component cable (Green, red,blue ) anyway. It's annoying that it's so new and hardly used yet on HDMI.

6. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Its up to you but if you're not bothered about HDMI connectivity right now then I'd consider keeping it until it looks like Microsoft are replacing HDMI machines with Jasper boards. I cannot say when this would happen but its just a suggestion.

7. Mr.Everready

Mr.Everready
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that. I was thinking that I'd keep hold of it for a while anyway and send it off when I'm on holiday later in the year.
    I'll keep an eye on the Jasper threads.

8. knight2000uk

knight2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    if component is also not showing any picture its most likely the GPU's north west or south east corner is slightly raised loosing contact with the motherboard or the scaller chip has lost a leg contact with the motherboard.

Stu