No HD - should I still buy a HD Ready TV?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RMCF, Aug 2, 2006.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Was chatting to a friend who is in the market for a new TV.

He fancies a 42" plasma, but told me that he doesn't see himself getting Sky HD for a few years yet as he is waiting for loads more channels to come online first (my own sort of logic too!!).

He says he is still probably going to buy a HD ready set, as it will future proof his purchase. However, I have read many threads about how ordinary TV/SkySD can look worse on a HD plasma than on your current CRT TV.

Should he still go the HD Ready route? (as he can buy a non-HD plasma for much less money).

2. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,183
    I think there is little point buying a HD ready TV if you are not looking to get SkyHD "for a few years".

Having said that, if the number of channels and / or content improve to your friend's expectation quicker than that, then the purchase of a non HD ready TV may prove a bit of a waste of cash.

My advice, once the Premiership starts, think again and get the Plasma and SkyHD and enjoy it to the full!

3. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    If someone was going to buy a new TV and they had the money, then I'd say get an HD set regardless. If ordinary TV looks worse on it, then all I can say is that someone needs their aerial seeing to - the analogue picture looks just fine on most sets (however, before buying check the reviews - some sets have better analogue tuners than others). Then if someone changes their mind in a year or so (and bear in mind that the number of HD channels will mushroom) then they are in a position to get the Sky box/HD DVD, etc, without the cost of the set.

On the other hand, if money is an object and HD isn't going to be an issue for several years (though I'd love to see the justification for this), then I'd say hunt around for a big CRT set since they are in relative terms as cheap as chips.

But: I'd say the wisest policy is if someone is thinking of getting an HD ready set, but their current set is okay, then wait a year or so as set prices are almost certain to drop further.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Looks better on my Pan 42PV 500, MUCH better than al my previous CRTs which were all top brand makes.

There's more to a plamsa than HD TV....

Viewing digital photos in a highe res, playing HD games (xbox 360) connecting a PC up to it opens up all sorts of opportunities.