No HD on my GT30?

Reaction score
Just took delivery of a 46" GT30. The HD picture via the freeview box is no different to the standard picture. On channel 54 (BBC HD preview) where they show a split picture (of tennis), one side being HD and the other side being SD, I nor the family can see the difference in picture quality.

I am using an ariel that is plugged into my standard sky plus box (awaiting delivery of my sky HD box). Freeview channels 50 & 51 displays a 1080i logo in the left hand corner when I put them on, but the picture quality is no better to the standard picture.

Any suggestions appreciated before I call JL and ask them to replace it?

Who said one side is HD and the other is SD? :confused:

They're 3D tests.

I think he's confusing it with some demo displays that are show in TV stores where one side of two pictures is 'processed' in some way. Nothing to do with 3D. Obviously the side by side nature of the BBC demo shows identical quality picture, one destined for right eye and one for left. I don't think there is anything wrong with the TV. What is he expecting to see? Why is it plugged into a Freeview Box? It has a built-in Freeview HD tuner?

Last edited:
It does actually say 3D tests at the beginning of the loop.
But yes, I agree, I don't think there's anything wrong with the telly.

As for the freeview, I assumed he meant the inbuilt tuner.

Apologies for the confusion, I did mean the inbuilt HD Freeview tuner, and I was also confusing the side by side pictures as the demo I saw in the shop (HD one side and SD the other).

I have played with every setting I could, and there is no way I can still see a difference in quality between a HD tv signal (via the GT30's internal HD Freeview tuner) or a SD tv signal?

Shows how well the telly is upscaling the SD pic, imo.

And to be honest, most HD channels are not very good (usually just upscaled to 1080).
People have been moaning about the quality of BBC HD for ages :thumbsdow
Regardless of what the Beeb says, the quality is nowhere near what it was when it first came out.

I very much doubt there's anything wrong with the telly, that's just how it is.

Blu Ray should be better though.

Thanks Badger. I am not really impressed with the SD picture on the GT30, in fact I think my four year old Samsung gives a more natural picture than the GT30 (I can't get faces on the GT30 to look very natural at all despite all my tweaking).

I bought the GT30 mainly for watching tv (HD where available), and I am frankly very disappointed that I am not impressed with the quality of the HD tv picture. I have read on here that the HD freeview tuner in the GT30 gives a better picture than a sky HD box, so it's not even worth my while waiting for that to be delivered in the hope that the HD TV picture quality will improve.

I have no doubt that the blu ray quality through the GT30 will be good, but I won't be watching many blu rays on it, so it isn't worth keeping it for that reason alone. So maybe I will hold onto my four year old 42" Samsung for a bit longer.

Freeview HD is actually what I call HD lite. A bit of research will show you that it is not up to the same specification as a Blu-Ray disk. I have a Virgin V+ box which is pretty good at upscaling SD. There are times when I can barely tell the difference between up scaled SD and a HD channel. Oddly I find that where a programme has been shot in HD and shown in SD it often upscales exceptionally well. Freeview HD is not all it's cracked up to be. Even with the BBC the quality varies from one programme to another.

Thanks Mike. I am confused why there is so much hype about the GT30 (that cost me £1149) when it's only real advantage over my samsung plasma (worth about £150), is that it looks good playing blu ray discs. I thought that most people who bought a reasonably expensive tv, mainly used it to watch tv programmes on. I haven't yet found one HD freeview programme that looks any better than it looks on SD. As previously mentioned, neither I or my family think the picture quality on the GT30 (HD or SD) looks any better than it does on my samsung plasma (as also previously mentioned skin tones look worse on the GT30). I am in two minds whether it's worth connecting the sky HD box to the GT30 just to see if things get any better (if I open the sky HD box I am unsure if sky will take it back and refund me for it)?

Apologies for the confusion, I did mean the inbuilt HD Freeview tuner, and I was also confusing the side by side pictures as the demo I saw in the shop (HD one side and SD the other).

I have played with every setting I could, and there is no way I can still see a difference in quality between a HD tv signal (via the GT30's internal HD Freeview tuner) or a SD tv signal?
Many programs broadcasted in HD channels are are only SD originals.

Was it by chance that when you compared them, the program you were viewing was just SD original? In other words it as just upscaled?

Wel I just got the 42gt30 and I can see a difference both on freeview and sky albeit not if you keep switching to compare like the optician . Having said that at the moment generally neither is as good as my 3yr old Panny TX.Though I can see on certain Programmes there is marked improvement . ah If only I can get the settings right though I'll suffer till its run for a while

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom