No HD for the US Open?

aftertaste

I saw a press release a few weeks back saying the US Open would be in HD this year. Obviously I see that's not the case now that it's started. What's the story? Maybe they're just showing the finals in HD?

(it's not even in widescreen!!)

Starburst

Novice Member
I think they were talking about Golf not the tennis?

aftertaste

No, the golf was a completely different thing. Someone posted a press release from Sky on here that specifically mentioned the US Open tennis being in HD for the first time.

The way they phrased it though, it made me think it wouldn't *all* be in HD. They said something like "selected coverage..." So like I said, maybe it's just the finals. It's pretty bad that they're still showing it in 4:3 though. That's just not good enough.

Starburst

Novice Member
A quick search...

"For tennis and golf fans amongst you we have stateside high definition content from the US Open and the US PGA Championship."

A sentence which could mean full coverage or only partial coverage and as for 4:3 (on the SD channel and cropped for the HD version) well they may be taking a world feed for cost savings assuming they have a choice at this stage.
Eurosport is listed as 4:3 or at least no "W" in the EPG.

Robbie Razzler

It is a shame that it isn't even in widescreen, but if the world feed is only provided in 4:3, sky can be excused. Sky do promise that they will take the best feed that is available to them.

KeanosMagicHat

"For tennis and golf fans amongst you we have stateside high definition content from the US Open and the US PGA Championship."

Well that sentence is explicit enough, so I guess we have to assume that there will be HD coverage in the later stages of the tournament.

If there isn't, questions should be asked.

C225

Distinguished Member
I reckon the mens final at most in HD .

Robbie Razzler

Does anyone know if the BBC put the high defination feed of Wimbledon on the world feed and the u.s.a showed it in high definition? This would be interesting if they did and America is being selfish and keeping the HD feed for themselves and providing us with a 4:3 sd feed.

KeanosMagicHat

This would be interesting if they did and America is being selfish and keeping the HD feed for themselves and providing us with a 4:3 sd feed.

It's all about money.

If Sky (and by implication us through our subscriptions) paid the $$$$ the HD broadcast would be made available.

As a suggestion, how about the thread starter emailing Sky including their quote and asking from what point in the tournament will it be in HD?

After their bold claim I'd be disappointed if it wasn't from at least the semi's onward (so six matches for both singles titles only).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom