No HD for Revolution!!

harrisuk said:
Well the 360 is 720p and 1080i. Loads of screens that support these res now at reasonable prices. We have had this argument about HD before in several threads.

I thought the defacto standard for HDTV is 1080i :confused: Isnt that what they pipe out in the states :confused:

Some broadcasters have adopted 720p, others 1080i. There is currently much debate over which is best over there.

bonzobanana said:
I don't think Nintendo can be criticised for selling the Gamecube at a very competitive price and taking a small hit which they recoup on software sales when Microsoft are taking a massive loss on the Xbox. It would be totally unfair to criticise the Gamecube for selling at £50 when it would have to be £70 to break even when the Xbox is £100 and would probably need to sell at £180 to break even. The price the Xbox sells at is not a premium price although it is more expensive than Gamecube. When the Xbox was over £200 its sales were very low and insignificant.

Great Post bonzobanana, but I think you'll find that the Gamecube has never been sold at a loss, were they went wrong is setting the RRP at a loss for retailers, still the gamecube had the second biggest launch in the UK after the Nintendo DS

but I think you'll find that the Gamecube has never been sold at a loss, were they went wrong is setting the RRP at a loss for retailers,

So you are telling me that selling the Donkey Konga bundle inc console game and Bongos for £42 RETAIL Nintendo were making a profit.

I really dont think so :rolleyes:

They definately lost money on Gamecube hardware sales in the UK at the sub £50 price point. That was certainly where the vast majority of Gamecube sales came in this country.

After DSG decided to drop the console so early in its life cycle over here it was effectively dead in the water. It also significantly weakened Nintendos arm with the other multiples as regard pricing.

Video game consoles are almost always sold on a sale or return basis in the UK (Anyone who has worked in the industry will understand this)

So if the retailers dont shift their stock they just send it back. Price drops like those on the Gamecube almost always come from the manufacturer. The reason hardware is sold on a sale or return basis is because of the huge cost of holding stock that potentially wont sell. In this day and age many companies wont take the risk.

If your correct that Ninendo made the retailers stand the loss on reductions (Which I`m almost certain your not) then the majority of multiples wouldnt stock the Revolution after the Gamecube being such a failure and huge losses on hardware.

I dont understand why the topic constantly drift like this, but if it is going to lets try and keep the facts right.

hehe fair enuff, £42 from were? they are probably clearing stock and no longer planning on stock the GC. GC with Bongos retails at about £80 FYI

Game
Amazon
Gamezone
Argos

All had these for Sale at between £42.99 - £50 at one time or another. This is well known Crispy, its been mentioned in the forums several times before.

If all of those retailers are now not stocking it on top of Dixons Currys etc who stopped selling early in the products life cycle whos still selling the Gamecube ?

Of course most of them are still stocking it (To some extent) they were just allowed to drop the price and clear excess stock by Nintendo beacuse people werent buyng it at £90 or whatever it orginally retailed at.

This is how the video games market works.

I know that thanks and have seen the offers before, I was asking were I can get one for £42 (new please) now

I can't see anyone paying over £50 for a gamecube to be honest when you can pick up a new X-Box for £95. If there are places still trying to sell GC's for £90 :eek: then I bet their stock is just gathering dust. There has really only been 1 moment in the Gamecubes life span where the mass market has thought - "I wouldn't mind a gamecube to play that game" - and that was when RE4 was released. Apart from that they have only sold in dribs & drabs.

Well no one seems to be selling the Konga pack new now at all :rolleyes:
But thats not the issue. They still cleared the vast majority of this bundle at this price....and hence lost money on it which was what you were disagreeing with.

On another note I was seriously tempted by this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8198807508&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

£69 for the Resident Evil 4 Cube with game. Thats got to be good value, its not been out that long and the game is still £35 at retail.

These are new and the guy has loads of them. He must have got them from a Wholesaler in Europe at a silly knock down price. I`m tempted.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
plus the fact fact that there is really only one game on the horizon that I'd buy, you all know what that is

CrispyXUK said:
plus the fact fact that there is really only one game on the horizon that I'd buy, you all know what that is

Pro Evo 5? :D :rotfl:

Zelda :)

CrispyXUK said:

Should be a decent game and it's one that i'm looking forward to (see the way that I can apreciate good games on all formats). I'm very much looking forward to WE9/PES5 though and hopefully they will improve the online side of things. Also if they could provide us with 720p widescreen gaming then that would be great, but I fear that we are entering into the realms of fantasy there - almost as unlikely as the Revo having HD capability ;) (a genius return to topic if I may say so myself).

crispy you can get them at argos for £35 online or atleast you could yesterday.

£35 its crazy really, the price of a new release game. Its looks like Argos are stopping selling them now as well.

i was almost tempted at that price point and i even put in a few bids in for cube games on the gaming forum but in the end i just remember how little play it got when i first bought one and daved the 50 quid.still if your after one 35 is a great price for a new one and no need for fleabay.

The Res evil consols are going with the game for £60 odd on ebay delivered brand new. Even at that price I have decided against it (As good as the game is meant to be) By th e time you have bought a memory card and a decent video cable and possibly a wavebird its still £100. Thats £100 towards a 360 :)

Indeed, i've got a copy of Resi 4 kicking about that I bought when it came out in the US. I'm still only about half way through it. It's a good game but having to use a crappy wavebird to control it does my head in. Can you get adaptors to let you use the X-Box pad on a Gamecube?

Games Guru said:
:eek: :laugh:

So nintendo are going to release a dreamcast controller with a minging tactile thingamajig in the middle! :rotfl:

That is actually describing a patent for a GBA NOT the revolution controller.

I'm not too sure actually. I think that there could be some truth in that. They seem big on their touch technology and it would make sense for them to carry this through to the Revo. It would be a very poor show if this was the case though - hardly revolutionary :rotfl: . I'm definately not keen on any sort of gyro control either and hopefully there is no truth in that part. The thing is though, that Gyro's have been mentioned quite a lot for there to be no truth in them.

Thing is everyones used to standard controllers. When it comes to control interfaces people dont like change.

Also I would be worried that a complicated controller like that would break easily.

I wouldn't say that the indusrty should stop looking at better ways to control games, just because people are used to Joypads. In the days of the home computers and at the height of the arcade's popularity everyone was used to joysticks but that didn't stop people becoming used to D-Pad joypads. Then even though people became used to D-Pads (NES, MS, MD, SNES etc) that didn't stop them adapting to the Analogue stick on the N64 controller. Now that everyone has copied and developed analogue sticks it doesn't mean that we can't adapt to another controller innovation as long as it's a genuine innovation and not just a gimmick.

I'm going to hold off judging Ninty until they properly announce their new controller as they may shock us all again and come out with something truly revolutionary.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom