1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Go with DVD-RW 4x in RDXS32 and 5100

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tabatha, Jul 11, 2004.

1. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently ordered a quantity of 2x DVD-RW and the supplier was out of stock and kindly sent me 4x at no extra charge. These discs do not work in either the Toshiba RDXS32 or the Pioneer 5100. Whilst the manuals state that they work with 2 x DVD-RW I was surprised that they didn't use the 4x discs albeit at 2x speed.

Has anyone seen or heard of firmware upgrades for the DVD drives in HD combo recorders in the same way that PC DVD drives get firmware upgrades?

It would appear that we might find it increasingly difficult to get discs that work with these machines. I was particularly suprised at the Toshiba chucking the 4x discs as it is such a new machine.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    It is perfectly possible - a VideoPlus upgrade was made available for Pioneer 3100 users for example. But whether or not the companies will actually do such an upgrade is questionable though. I believe someone on this forum got a e-mail/letter from Pioneer saying that no firmware upgrade for 4x DVD-RW would be made available to 5100 users - although I can't remember who so that remains questionable.

If it's any comfort 2x media will continue to be available for some time. And all DVD-RAM types will remain fully backwards compatible.

3. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have upgraded my 5100 to be multi-regional using a CD-ROM but I have not heard of anyone having been supplied with a firmware upgrade to the DVD drive itself.

I assume that daring users may be able to remove the DVD/DVDRAM drive, attach it to their PC and upgrade the firmware in the drive itself. The danger is that the firmware in the player may not recognise the new firmware in the drive!

Some utilities do allow a backup of the existing drive firmware so it may not be a "one-way" experiment. Does anyone know what DVD/RAM drives are used in the Panasonic, Pioneer 5100 and Toshiba RDXS32?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Pioneer 5100 uses the Pioneer 106 drive.
    Panasonic E100 uses a modified SW9581
    I have no idea about the Toshiba but it could be a Panasonic or Hitachi/LG drive...

5. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

There are unlikely to ever be any firmware updates to allow burning of 2-4 speed DVD-RW on older hardware, this is because to do so could create 3 breaks in the specification when 8 speed DVD-RW is launched.

See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=420007 where this is discussed.

Regards

Philip

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

+RW is also facing the same issue, with its break being at 8 speed.

Regards

Philip

7. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble is it'll get harder to find as media speed goes up and prices come down, just look at -R for example, who buys 1x media anymore (if you can find them) as we move through 4x and now 8x....

It just seems like a ploy to get consumers to upgrade their hardware. I don't particularly care about not being able to use 4x media for HS Dub but I was hoping that you could at least use them to record in realtime (1x) since the media are usually advertised as 1-4x speed.

DVD-RAM not only has better defect management but also backwards compatibility, which IMO is invaluable for set top recorders whereas PC burners are invariably more upgradable (and cheaper to replace).

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

DVD-RW slower rated media will be around for a long time, there are millions of users out there that require it, and it doesn't take anything to switch a production line over to knock off a few 100 thousand.

It isn't a ploy to upgrade, but necessary because phase-change material doesn't have the same tolerances to laser power (and so speeds of burning) as a dye does. The same happened with CD-RW.

DVD-RW and DVD-RAM use defect management, higher speed DVD-RAM is backward compatible at the moment, but it is only at 5 speed currently, can we be sure the same will apply by the time DVD-RAM hits 16 speed? After all, DVD-RAM also uses phase-change recording.

Ponder why DVD-RAM went to 5 speed and not 6, could it be at that time they could not make a DVD-RAM disc cover 1 to 6 speed?

Regards

Philip