• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

No frills NAS

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Hey,

Do they exist solely as a file serving device?

No DLNA, iTunes, Cloud access etc..

Thanks

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
You can turn services off - or you want it not to have them in the first place?

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Yeah I know you can turn them off. Just wondering if the enclosure's exist without those features to get them a bit cheaper.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Probably not. A lot of that is free open source software anyway.

Keep an eye on the classifieds - I got a 2-bay QNAP for £35 - stick in 8 tb and it's away :)

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I bought a D-Link DNS-323 (2 bay) NAS about 4 years ago for £50 new. Still using it today solely for storing media for my network media player. I don't use any of the other features, and not sure if it has them.

nheather

Distinguished Member
That's all I want too. I have an aging Buffalo, it does other stuff but I don't use any of it - it is just a central filestore.

Looking for a replacement but struggling because the functionality I do want is to be able to leave a portable USB drive connected for automated overnight incremental backups.

Still not found one that I am convinced will do this.

Cheers,

Nigel

booyaka

Grab some 2nd hand parts, Freenas - job done. Cost peanuts to get hold of an old motherboard/cpu etc.

I'm running a P31 gigabyte board, 4gb of cheap ram and an E8400cpu - picked up for £50. £10 for an old case to stick in the garage - away you go.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
If you just want an enclosure to keep your drives then a JBOD is a lot cheaper, but it doesn't collate them all to a single drive pool, it's effectively just the same a having the drives all hooked up via a USB hub.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Grab some 2nd hand parts, Freenas - job done. Cost peanuts to get hold of an old motherboard/cpu etc.

I'm running a P31 gigabyte board, 4gb of cheap ram and an E8400cpu - picked up for £50. £10 for an old case to stick in the garage - away you go.

But you can buy a ready made WD MyCloud for a similar price. I like building my own stuff but not when I don't see a real benefit.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom