No Freeview reception, so what about freesat?

Dan Mac

Standard Member
I have resisted the urge so far to give my money to sky in order to have a decent selection of television. My problem is that I can't get cable or Freeview and I'm sick of just having 4 channels of soap and quiz/reality shows to choose from.

So I stumbled across freesat from sky today and wondered what it was like. I looked at the freesat website and was specifically trying to find filmfour on their listings but couldn't, so is it going to be available on freesat as well as freeview?

Also, i'd want to have PVR/sky+ type functionality so that i can watch what i want when i want and need to know if this is possible with freesat (i'm guessing not without a sky+ box - back to square 1)?

Anyone in the know about this?:lease:

Richard46

I stand to be corrected (never had Freesat) but I think the problem with Freesat PVRs is the lack of an electronic programme guide.

By the way when you say you cannot get Freeview; have you tried an STB or going by one of the online postcode checkers? It is just that the later are very unreliable. :)

Dan Mac

Standard Member
Tried both the postcode checkers I've come across on these forums, no joy. Can't even get analogue C5.

Still, borrowing an STB not a bad idea just to check.

Richard46

Dan Mac

Standard Member
Richard46 said:

Did the dtg.org one and it came up with just a couple of digital channels available, just bbc1-4 and nothing else.

I'm in Helmshore, Lancs and am using the Winter Hill transmitter.

Just had a look at the Wolfbane one but am left baffled by the results, except for the suggestion i need an "amplified extra hi-gain" antenna. Sounds ominous!:suicide:

chrise

Film 4 is indeed on Sky's Freesat (channel list here)and currently is non-encrypted which is odd as Channel 4 itself is free-to-view and needs a card.

Any secondhand sky receiver and dish would work if installed correctly. Cards cost £20 from Sky if you want channel 4, 5 or Sky 3 and the correct regional version of BBC and ITV channels. Alternatively you can buy the full set of kit installed for £150 from Sky.

Dan Mac

Standard Member
sean5302 said:
The best bet is to buy a Sky receiver on the likes of ebay, for about £40 and get a £20 freesky card.

Film4 and around 300 other free channels are then all yours.

No subscription, no nonsense, and the best broadcast EPG in the business. You'll never buy a Radio Times or TV Times again. (Are they still in print? ).

Sounds good. But is there any way of adding a PVR with similar features to sky+? I had a little look around and it seems that this is not as straightforward as for Freeview.

Dan Mac

Standard Member
:)

So i CAN get some sky+ type functionality without a sky+ subscription using a set up similar to your own? I take it this "series link" option appears on the sky EPG even without a sky+ subscrition?

I was beginning to think I'd have to move house to do what i want to!

Which model panasonic DMR do you use? Have you been using series link type recording?

chrise

Sean has got a point but there is one thing I found a few years back that I do not think has changed. The control signals are only carried on the VCR scart of the sky box which cannot output a RGB signal so you are stuck with composite video which was much while better than a VCR was unacceptable against the recordings made on a PVR properly.

thfccambs

Banned
Where can freesat cards be brought on line?

Dan Mac

Standard Member
chrise said:
Sean has got a point but there is one thing I found a few years back that I do not think has changed. The control signals are only carried on the VCR scart of the sky box which cannot output a RGB signal so you are stuck with composite video which was much while better than a VCR was unacceptable against the recordings made on a PVR properly.

I'm weighing this up against the cost of sky+ without any premium channels. Not got a new flat panel telly yet so PQ not the burning issue (yet).

I'm guessing about £300 to get everything i need to set up like Sean. I think E4 and more4 are not free on freesat from sky though, which will upset the mrs. But if she can set to record all CSI off channel5 she'll still be oh so grateful!:devil: :devil: :devil:

Edit: The Panny DMR-EX85EB-S is £400. Bit steep that like. Need a cheaper alternative that can also hook up this way but might not be as jazzy in other features. Any ideas anyone?

andykn

canlabmaster

I have a Freesat card but I am surprised that it doesn't give me E4 and More 4 for which you seem to need a Sky subscription.

andykn

I think its something to do with the contracts that were signed a while ago. Once they run out E4/C4 should be free

Ikki

Dan Mac,

Just to confirm, I saw a thread on another forum where someone in Helmshore had tried a freeview box and got no signal. It must be because of your valley location as you are closer to Winter Hill than I am and I get Freeview.:(

Ikki

Yeah, I get to look at Pendle Hill and the Bowland fells from where I live, it's hard to beat. :smashin:

AJBek

chrise said:

There is a way round this. You can buy a device called a phantom plus pvr which costs about 30 quid and sends infra red signals to your VCR or DVD recorder to start it recording when the autoview function in sky activates. What you can do is plug the phantom in to the vcr scart on the sky box so it gets the signal to start the record, and plug the dvd recorder into the tv scart to get the rgb signal. Hye presto automatic guide plus timer secording in rgb.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom