1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Freeview channels whatsoever

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Slimline, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is stupid. Would really appreciate any help.

I just bought a new plasma and a freeview box (the Sony VTX-D800U) - I set it to Autotune and it looked for about 20 seconds before reporting no channels found. I repeated a few times with the same result.

Does this definitely mean my aerial needs upgrading? Or is it possible there's another solution.

I live in a block of flats in the middle of London, and am connecting the aerial socket in the Freeview box to the communal roof aerial (which gives more or less perfect reception for terrestrial 1-4, no real signal on 5). I don't think there's much prospect of the getting them to upgrade the communal aerial, so I'm hoping there's an alternative solution...

Thanks!

2. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    The fact that you can't get Channel 5 doesn't sound too good; but it seems odd that your box can't find any digital signals - I get reasonable Freeview reception in the Bayswater area of London with a very simple indoor aerial. Have you checked your postcode on http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/coverage.html

3. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, not even slightly worried about missing out on Channel 5 :)

DTG says all channels available - I'm on Old Street, so I would have assumed that broadcast was fine. I suppose it must be the aerial, but I reckon I have squat chance of getting them to upgrade that.

4. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    That is strange; but then so is the fact that you cannot get Channel 5 in London.
    Sounds like that communal aerial is rubbish. As suggested above I would try an indoor aerial.
    PS I know this sounds silly but if you have a length of coax put a connector on one end; strip the other end about six inches and seaparate the inner and outer elements so they form a T. Pin it on the wall; hang it out the window etc. you never know it cannot be worse than what you have got. :)

Richard

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't think that lack of C5 indicates poor freeview reception too much. My mother lives about 1Km from me way out to west London so its Crystal Palace transmitter. Her aerial is one of the first colour aerials so it is ancient. She only gets a blizzard with her C5 picture but gets perfect Freeview reception.

6. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I checked my postcode and it said no Freeview reception, and I borrowed a mate's receiver and there was no reception at all. An aerial installer assured me that 99% of people in this area can get reception if they upgrade the aerial; I did and sure enough the signal is first class. He told me the aerial can make a big difference (obviously it did) but he did need to put it on a 10-foot extension pole to get really good reception.

7. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds similar to this problem.
    Which turned out to be an ariel/connector problem.

It's your ariel, not "theirs", so if it needs repaired/upgraded then you can insist on this work. If it can't recieve channel 5 (now a grown-up channel, mostly) then it needs looking at. Everyone who owns it communally is liable for their fair cost. It will be charged as part of your building services bill or similar.