1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No file-swapping for Sony owners - even WITH DRM-free files!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Aug 3, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232209 for a pleasing update on this thread!

Ladies and gentlemen, I have news.

My friend has taken some tracks (DRM-free using SonicStage version 3.2) created on my PC, and tried to load them onto his HD1. The results, I'm afraid, are NOT what we all hoped for. :thumbsdow

Basically, file-swapping is still a NO NO! Looks like the DRM-free business might merely help the individual when, say, swapping a PC hard drive or restoring after a serious system crash. Other than that, no swapping seems possible (at least, not with ATRAC3Plus files).

Anyone know any different? :lease:

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its illegal to swap files anyway, thats probably why you can't do it. Don't you love how Sony dictate your life. Maybe you need to authorise the computer first?

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I know it's illegal (although, I'm going to post something here soon that Sony endorses which throws the whole 'copying/distribution of music' thing into a grey area) - just expected more from this DRM-free functionality.

And yes, you probably DO need to authorise the relevant PC(s) first.

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, want to make clear I was NOT attempting anything illegal - as I said in another post, I only wanted to scope out the DRM-free functionality in the interests of healthy consumer testing, just to see what is and isn't possible.

(Don't worry, Sasso, not suggesting you were implying I'm trying to do anything dodgy!)

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting...

Did you authorise the PC when you did the test?

Ive got 2 computers i might start doing some tests....im installing SS3.2 as we speak (on the second one only). I dont want to format the player because it will take hours to put the music back on with USB1.1

And when i get a new computer ill re-rip everything in probably atrac3+128 or something lower than 256....ill see. But for now it will take too long so this will have to do...but I guess, ive pretty much transfered everything Ive got at the moment...and it doesnt take more than 7 gigs at 256....so ill probably leave it. DRM free....that might come in handy later on, but not particularly usefull at the moment.

Does both computers have to have SS3.2? Was this the case in your test?

lol, no I wasn't implying that....you can do what you like. And it could have been possible that you gave him tracks to test that he already had. its all good :)

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was a very basic test. Mate has HD1, already authorised on his PC, and he's running SS2.3 (I think?) I ripped DRM-free files on my PC using SS3.2, bunged them on a disc, and passed it to him. He tried importing them to his PC/player, but no joy.

Any thoughts?

7. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im going to have dinner....when i come back ill do a test, perhaps send you a file that you can test...he probably needs SS3.2. i read on another forum that its not possible anyway....so what exactly is DRM free?

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question. I'm guessing that it just saves you going through all the back-up tool business (think Keanos referenced this on the minidisc forum). Not sure I want to try, mind ...

9. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shadow name a few songs/artists that you already own and ill send you a DRM free track for you to test.

10. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the new Coldplay album, X&Y - got that?

11. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not on CD. um.....What kind of music are you into? Rock? linkinpark, nickelback, greenday? how about groove armada.....

u know who cares ill just send you something anyway. Ill send you a track from Linkin park....ill email it hopefully it will fit.

12. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, nice choice for a testing album :thumbsup: .

Is the DRM not letting people use the DRM-free files on different computers too, or is it only for the portable players? I suppose authorisation of computer is allowing playback on different pcs?

13. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All sent. Ill check your results tomorrow morning.

Castar....I think we will have the answer soon.

The funny thing is i Installed SS3.2 on my second computer which i have never used my HD5 on before. I plugged it in and it loaded it up straight away. I was able to add new tracks too without authorisation...I couldn't transfer tracks off the player but I couldn't even do that on the original computer....
    Is that normal how you can add tracks straight away?....if so whats authorising?

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Sasso. Let's hope we crack this.

Haven't received an email yet - but then, it is coming from Oz.

If I don't receive it, I'll assume the work's filters have got it. In which case, I'll PM another email address.

All this just to test something we're never going to use for illegal purposes! Wouldn't it just be easier for Sony to say, 'Hey, kids! This is what DRM-free means ...'

15. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah. Should it matter where its coming from? its all electrical....and it travels pretty fast. Yeah the filters might have got it but would you have been notified....i can send from a non hotmail address incase thats the problem...

I just did a quick test....DRM free can play on any computer, unlike DRM full. To transfer the songs onto the player it said something like "cant transfer in current format"...yea like whatever that means....maybe because the songs already on there? maybe 3.1 cant transfer 3.2's rips??

not sure ill do some more thorough testing when my dad gets off the 3.1 pc...

would be safe to upgrade my original pc with 3.1? i dont want to find out that i have to format...but i didnt when connecting to this PC so i guess not?.....i cant transfer any to the library and i dont know why, even on the original PC. I also have no kind of Connect music store integrated in the software....perhaps not available in AUS because the 3.2 i downloaded has it...

16. aaron1cool

aaron1cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, have just joined this website.

Regards to DRM free swapping tracks-

I know it is long winded- but for example if I buy a track from Napster- Connect is expensive and lacking in content, I must then burn the track on a CD-RW through Windows Media Player before then ripping to SonicStage! So if you burned a CD from SS and then added it to WMP on the next computer then burnt that to the disc and then put it in SS it might just work- I haven't tried it to be honest but it's worth ago!! :)

17. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi aaron, yeah that defeats the purpose lol. You might as well just rip the original CD on the other computer. The problem we are trying to solve is how do you transfer tracks from the player itself onto another computer. The DRM still seems to stop you doing that...which is what everyone was happy about in the first place, which is why we are annoyed....you can, however, send the nonDRM ripped songs to another computer and transfer the files as if it is the original computer....before you could play the songs ONLY on the original computer where you ripped it from. Maybe a firmware will fix the problem....but maybe not.

18. aaron1cool

aaron1cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well yes, you could rip from the original, which would be the quickest way, but I don't agree on coping CD's (like you) and anyway you can always buy individual tracks that you might want from your friends NW-HDx. I actually buy 2nd hand CD's from Amazon, e.g: I got Lenny Kravitz greatest hits for 70pence. If it's for the purpose of putting tracks on your Walkman it doesn't matter if the box is marked or the inlay looks a bit tatty, as you wont use it again- especially if you hook up your Walkman through your Home system!

Anyway I think it's a minor problem when you compare the NW-HD to an ipod for the amount of songs per Giga and the battery life- just wish there was all the accessories for the Walkman though!

But if you ever solve the problem let me know!! :thumbsup:

19. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah im not trying to copy other peoples songs.....none of my friends have HD5's anyway......And there are much easier ways lol.....we are simply doing a test to see if you can actually copy songs to other PCs for you own use...say you get a new PC and don't want to rip all the CDs again.
    Yeah 2nd hand wouldn't matter..as long as it isnt scratched or has read errors.

...How much is 70pence? sorry to sound dumb, but i use cents and dollars in Aus.

Check this THread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232209