No external output from Sharp 50BL2KA

norfbech

Hi folks.

Real quickie.

I picked this set up on a relative whim last week as Tesco was discounting it by quite a bit.
I was going to wait before I upgraded my set and get my hands mucky in research land.

For the price it's a decent set, but we'll leave it there as this is about a sound issue.

I cannot seem to get sound out from this to an external amp/speakers.

I dragged my Wharfdale speakers out of storage (long story...separation/moved into flat) and checked the wiring was ok (it wasn't - the plates were missing on the contacts at the back as they were bi-wired and positives/negatives mixed up).
Sorted that and connected RCA outs from the set to the input on my amp (old Sherwood) and set external sound output on the set....nothing :(.

Presumed it was either the amp or the speakers. Tried another amp and again, nothing.

Set the speaker cables back into the amp and tested my laptop output to the RCA inputs on the amp - here we have everything working (this was a different cable btw = mini jack from laptop out to a RCA pair).

Presumed then it could be the ancient RCA cables so picked another one up....nope, still no sound.

Any ideas folks? Struggling to find a solution at the moment and I'm 'out of the game' atm when it comes to AV knowledge.

Here's the set btw:

Sharp - *TV Updating...

Thanks!

Fred Smith

The TV's audio phono / RCA sockets are audio IN.

There is a Optical digital output you could use with an optical to analogue converter.

norfbech

The TV's audio phono / RCA sockets are audio IN.

There is a Optical digital output you could use with an optical to analogue converter.
Ahh.
Dang. Didn't quite find enough tech spec and the connecting the speakers was another (excited) whim.
Thanks mate. I'll weigh up the costs of getting a new (cheap, small that does the trick) with an optical to analogue converter.

These speakers have been in a bin bag for three years so it's made me proactively sort out a bit of my AV (more for when the kids come round atm!).

As an aside, the headphones out work (mini jack to phono) so I have sound from the TV to my amp/speakers.
Presumably the quality is going to be missing something here, but it's a workable solution for the time being.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom