" ... No Extended LOTR Blu-ray till 2012? "

ARNOLD AKIEN

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just noticed this news item on Blu-Ray.com ..

Blu-ray.com - Warner Exec Confirms Hobbit Delay – No Extended LOTR Blu-ray till 2012?

" Warner Exec Confirms Hobbit Delay – No Extended LOTR Blu-ray till 2012?
Posted January 27, 2010 06:44 AM by Juan Calonge

Warner Bros. COO Alan Horn (who also oversees New Line Cinema, which became a part of WB in early 2008) has said that the most probable date for the theatrical release of 'The Hobbit' would be in the fourth quarter of 2012, thus confirming earlier reports (see blu-ray.com, December 1, 2009). In that case, the theatrical version of the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy (due out on April 6) could be the only one available on Blu-ray for a long time.

For 'The Hobbit', New Line shares financing rights with MGM/UA, which bought the original rights in 1969; the complication this time around is that MGM could soon sell those rights as part of its restructuring."

Arnold.

Yes , I read it earlier. Looks like I will be double dipping again. I'm not waiting 2 years for the EE to come out. Money grabbing ******** though

I'll wait. Don't think I've rewatched any of them since I first bought the extended versions anyway.

I've got well over 2 years of unwatched stuff to get through as it is:D

Old news really as it was known around a couple of years ago that the Theatrical versions were coming out first. Although, that statement does not mention the EE's versions and is all about The Hobbit. It is only conjecture.

Old news really as it was known around a couple of years ago that the Theatrical versions were coming out first. Although, that statement does not mention the EE's versions and is all about The Hobbit. It is only conjecture.

But I'm sure it's been confirmed that the EE's where coinciding with the Hobbitts release.

They'll have 'em 3D ready too, just you watch.:facepalm:

Theatrical, EE, EE 3D, theatrical 3D.

Cash cow or what?:D

AA, if the story is correct then the title of your thread is optimistic.

Many people feel we won't see the EEs until the final super-duper boxed set, in which case the time frame would be:

- The Hobbit Part 1 in cinemas Autumn 2012.
- The Hobbit Part 1 (TE) on home video for Christmas 2012
- The Hobbit Part II in cinemas Summer or Autumn 2013
- The Hobbit Part II (TE) on home video for Christmas 2013
- LOTR/The Hobbit EEs boxed set for sometime in 2014

Steve W

AA, if the story is correct then the title of your thread is optimistic.

Many people feel we won't see the EEs until the final super-duper boxed set, in which case the time frame would be:

- The Hobbit Part 1 in cinemas Autumn 2012.
- The Hobbit Part 1 (TE) on home video for Christmas 2012
- The Hobbit Part II in cinemas Summer or Autumn 2013
- The Hobbit Part II (TE) on home video for Christmas 2013
- LOTR/The Hobbit EEs boxed set for sometime in 2014

Steve W

I'm not naturally optimistic Steve W, but, I speculate that EEs of LOTR Blu-ray may be released just before the release of " The Hobbit Part 1 (TE) on home video for Christmas 2012 " Then they could come back with the release of a combined "LOTR/The Hobbit EEs boxed set for sometime in 2014 "

Triple Dipping... Quadruple Dipping ? I've lost count. :devil:

And then I expect that someone will make a movie out of "The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun" "a thorough reworking in verse of old Norse epics that predates Tolkien's writing of "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy " which really would throw a ring into the works for the completest collector.

Three D editions of all of this Stuff should take us comfortably into the late 2020s.

All this speculation does have the effect of raising audience anticipation, which I suppose is no bad thing from the Warner Bros perspective.

Arnold.

Last edited:
Ignoring the article linked, I seem to remember someone saying they were working on the extra scenes from the EEs and that these would be released next (now this) year.

But if they wait until the big box, we have a long wait.

As ever, time will tell.

Steve W

Cant say im surprised, but still ****ed off about it.

It could be next year (maybe as late as Christmas time) as this will be the 10th Year Anniversary of the theatrical release of LOTR - 10 Years ago next year :eek:

Well for certain I aint buying the normal versions , got the extended dvd versions they will be fine till they get their act together.
Totally fed up with double dipping had enough of this carry on on dvd never mind blu ray starting it.
If it was left to my decision nobody should buy the standard release and send a message to the studios it just aint on :smashin:

the ONLY (and I mean ONLY) reason I haven't gone HD+Blu-ray yet is because LOTR-XE is not out.

(Koyaanisqatsi HD would be my second reason)

-R

I read a brilliant little story from Peter Jackson. He said that they had an AVID system shipped over to New Zealand so they could use it to work on LOTR. (AVID is a digital editing system). I'm pretty sure they had every scrap of footage stored on this system both for the movie and behind the scenes material. Peter's idea was that if anything was ever wanted for HD or another LOTR project, they could boot up the AVID machine and retrieve it.

I've forgotten which film studio owned the AVID but they phoned up and said can we have it back? Peter said, look leave it here and we can keep it under a dust sheet & under lock and key and it'll be safe. It'll be a digital LOTR archive.

The film studio said NO! we want it back. The machine was sent back and wiped clean ready for other movie projects.

Now if they need any of the old footage, they going to have to go back to the original camera negatives and rescan them all over again.

Oh and I'll just wait patiently for the EEs whenever they come out on BD:D

I read a brilliant little story from Peter Jackson. He said that they had an AVID system shipped over to New Zealand so they could use it to work on LOTR. (AVID is a digital editing system). I'm pretty sure they had every scrap of footage stored on this system both for the movie and behind the scenes material. Peter's idea was that if anything was ever wanted for HD or another LOTR project, they could boot up the AVID machine and retrieve it.
Why stop at behind the scenes material? Actors are so Expensive!

We are already in the very early stages of Body Capture by Scanning wherein an Actor or the actors estate could market the Actors ' Image ' and screen personality long after the actor is Dead ... and at various stages of that actors career ..thus, ' I want a Young Clint Eastwood for that role ' may well be possible some day soon ...

http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~theobalt/deAguiar_3dtvcon07.pdf

Its hard enough being a young actor now but imagine how hard its going to be if you have to compete with a Young Clint Eastwood or .... the actor of your choice.

Then consider the possibilities for Piracy in new film productions. Already people are doing re-edits of Star-Wars ... we ain't seen Nothing yet. :devil:

Arnold.

Whats all this???

No extended editions?? I'm so mad right now i can't tell you. I may have to leave work early today so i can go home and tell the other half. She'll be even more devestated than i am. :mad:

What a load of rubbish i love LOTR. I will not buying this sh*t!!

How on earth did you jump to that conclusion? The thread is 3 months old and not once does it mention the fact that there will NOT be a release of the EEs. It is just a matter of WHEN they will be relesaed.

I thought I'd blundered onto Amazon for a second there.

:D

But nevermind that. This is just another example of Gordon Brown's inept status as our country's President. He loves it when companies do this as he reaps the VAT TWICE!!

Robbing idiots at Dreamworks creaming in again. This is a consipracy i tell you.

In regards to this thread being 3 months old, i know it's taken me ages to read everyones posts & i'm just getting down there. Anyways enough of this i'm off to read more about Avatar. Thats a proper film not like this make believe goblins. We used to be into elves but now its all about the confidence shown by Avatar.

Piece out!

There goes a real man.

I'll wait. And regarding VAT going into Browns pockets - one of the reasons I import movie and games. He gets enough from me at the pumps.

But nevermind that. This is just another example of Gordon Brown's inept status as our country's President. He loves it when companies do this as he reaps the VAT TWICE!!

Robbing idiots at Dreamworks creaming in again. This is a consipracy i tell you.

In regards to this thread being 3 months old, i know it's taken me ages to read everyones posts & i'm just getting down there. Anyways enough of this i'm off to read more about Avatar. Thats a proper film not like this make believe goblins. We used to be into elves but now its all about the confidence shown by Avatar.

Piece out!

This is a joke right?

What's this got to do with Dreamworks?

What's this got to do with Gordon Brown?

hmm

So now Gordon Brown is responsible for the EEs of LOTR not being available, as well as the Idelandic volcano.

And Avatar is a good film.

Next you'll be telling us that the Lib Dems might get the most votes on May 6th !

Steve W

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom