No DVD drive: How do you load software?

karupeshu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I should be getting a M101z (no DVD drive) laptop from Dell outlet this week and was just wondering if I can use my desktop dvd drive to load software that I have on CD and DVD discs. Is it easy and what kind of leads do I need?
Also can I just connect the laptop to the pc and then drag and drop docs and files to my desktop to the laptop?
Thanks
K

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yeah external usb DVD drive is pretty straightforward but then again pretty much everything can be downloaded these days

I used an external USB DVD writer to set up an EEE PC, but that was only because I was installing Windows - as Sweat says you can download most things now. If you have software on CD, perhaps you can download the latest version and use your CD Key to activate it?

Another option would be to map the DVD drive on your desktop PC and run it from there, it should work.

does windows have any 'virtual DVD' software like the mac does? when they released the macbook air they released software that lets you use another Mac/PC's drive over the network.

I assume you are going to network your machines together. Just set the DVD drive to shared, access it from the netbook and run the disks from there. Works for me. Can be slow if you have a wireless network though.

I've installed software on a netbook by sharing the DVD drive on another PC - far cheaper option if you don't already have an external DVD drive to use.

Setup the netboook on the network
From the PC open 'My Computer'
right click on the DVD drive and select 'Share'
from netbook open 'My Computer' and select 'Tools' > 'Map network drive' and browse to the optical drive of the PC.

You can now put any CD/DVD into the PC drive, cancel any auto run and then open the disc on the netbook by clicking on the mapped drive you set up.

Mark.

Or rip the disc to an ISO, and use Daemon Tools on the netbook to "mount" the ISO as a disc

Wow! So many ways to get round the lack of a drive. I want to load up my office 2010 student edition which still has 2 more licenses left.
I was trying to avoid spending any more money (on external drive) so will go for the shared drive idea. I guess I just need a usb to usb cable?
Matt C, your post makes me feel totally computer illiterate!:) What is an ISO and what are Daemon tools?
Thanks
K

An ISO is an image file, and Daemon Tools are a company that provides software to mount an image so the computer treats it as an actual disc. Google them.

will go for the shared drive idea. I guess I just need a usb to usb cable?
No USB cable required. Just get your new netbook on your home network with a network cable or wireless and then create the share and you are good to go. If the netbook can get onto the internet then it should be able to get at a shared DVD drive.

Mark.

Wow! So many ways to get round the lack of a drive. I want to load up my office 2010 student edition which still has 2 more licenses left.
I was trying to avoid spending any more money (on external drive) so will go for the shared drive idea. I guess I just need a usb to usb cable?
Matt C, your post makes me feel totally computer illiterate!:) What is an ISO and what are Daemon tools?
Thanks
K
You can install Office 2010 from a USB stick so just copy the CD contents on another PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom