No DVD-A audio setup with DV135

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by flysi, Feb 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. flysi

flysi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently bought a couple of DVD-A discs for my DV135. Whilst one works fine, and gives me the option to select 5.1 or DTS sound, the Beatles Love DVD-A does not. When I go to the title menu (and in fact it wasnt easy getting there as it automatically started playing when I put it in) it only gives me 2 options to play album or select tracks. Putting the disc into my laptop lets me see 3 options, which included the audio setup option.

So, I am stuck listening to it in Stereo PCM. Does anyone have any ideas why the DVD player is not giving me the option? I see other people on here have uesd it with the DV135 so presume it should work? Any help will me much appreciated.

Thanks

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    HI Flysi

My understanding is the DV135 only plays DVD-A and SACD High definition sound in Stereo If the DVD-A also has a DTS or Dolby digital option it will play in 5.1 via optical or HDMI as any DVD player would I would suggest the Beatles DVD-A only has the high resolution track and so the DV135 down mixes it to High resolution stereo via the stereo outputs on your player

Somebody tell me if this is not correct but i think the output depends on what is available on the disk and this is normally shown on the sleeve

Hope this helps

J

3. Theo Maxtible

Theo Maxtible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141

I feel confident that I have the answer to your "problem", but I'm going to make a couple of assumptions first:-

1) You have programmed your DV135 to default to the hi-res layer of DVD-As.
    2) The DV135 comes supplied with the CR-515 remote control.

I am not familiar with the DV135, but am going to assume that it shares a fair number of similarities to the Arcam DV137 which I own. My collection of DVD-As number around 40 albums - of which The Beatles "Love" album is one. From the experience of my modest collection, DVD-As fall into three types, with regard to the way they start playing. All DVD-As start in the same manner as DVD-Vs, which means they start "running" the moment the drawer of the player closes. Some will start, and then stop at the main menu, until either an option (e.g. play) is selected. Until an option is selected, they will just wait indefinately. Others will go the the main menu and wait for a short while - possibly a minute or more - and then start playing at a default audio option. The most common type, like The Beatles "Love" album, will start playing automatically.

I'll now make an apology, in so far as I might be about to tell you something you already know. DVD-As are actually hybrid discs, meaning they are backwards compatible, and therefore have a DVD-V layer (or sometimes side rather than layer), which can be played on any machine displaying the DVD logo.

The Beatles "Love" Album has the following audio options. For DVD-A, only MLP 5.1 is available. My album does not offer a stereo lossless option. For all DVD players, a PCM stereo option is offered, along with DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 surround options.

If you put your DVD-A in the tray of the DV135 and press "OPEN" on your
    CR-515 remote control, the drawer will close and the disc will start playing in MLP 5.1 mode. If you wish to go to the main menu, you simply need to press "TITLE" on your CR-515. The following information will then be displayed on your display: Track Number and Name, "PLAY ALBUM" and "TRACK SELECTION". There are no other options available. If you wish to check the audio format, press "STATUS" on your CR-515, and MLP 5.1 will appear on your display (assuming of course that you have your display on and the correct input selected).

I think it's highly unlikely that your computer is DVD-A compatible, and therefore recognises it as a standard DVD, i.e. a DVD Video. That is why you then see three audio options - but not on your DV135.

I am going to stick my neck out, and reckon that you are actually hearing MLP 5.1, and not PCM stereo - and that you don't actually have a "problem". Out of interest, what makes you confident that you're only hearing stereo, and not 5.1?

I hope what I have said makes sense. If not, please let me know. :thumbsup:

4. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think the 135 only plays DVD-A and SACD in stereo unlike the 137 and 139.

5. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    Dave and Johnny are correct. The DV135 is described on the Arcam web site as a "stereo DVD player". The multichannel player is the DV137.

6. Theo Maxtible

Theo Maxtible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks Mark and Dave. You're obviously more familiar with the DV135 than I am.

Your findings appear to confirm and reinforce my thoughts that the OP has programmed their DV135 to default to the hi-res layer of DVD-As, and he will therefore not be able to find a stereo option on his "Love" album, because there isn't one.

I didn't mention it explicitly yesterday, but by way of an experiment, I put my "Love" album in one of my Sony DVD video players. Lo and behold, three audio options are displayed - those being as I mentioned in my previous post, i.e. PCM stereo, DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. The other difference between the DVD-V layer and the MLP DVD-A layer, is that the album does not automatically start playing the music, but just goes to the main menu - and waits for an option to be selected. Of course, it could be argued that there is no reason why the DVD-A layer should not start playing the music automatically, as there is only one audio option, i.e. MLP 5.1

Of course, this still doesn't answer why the OP feels his player is playing PCM stereo - and not MLP 5.1. He may only be hearing "stereo", but that is different to what is actually being played. Or perhaps I'm overlooking the obvious?

7. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    SACDs almost always, and DVD-As often, have both a stereo and multichannel track. If you use a stereo player, it will play the stereo track where available. In the case of DVD-A (but not SACD), the player will downmix to stereo if there's no stereo track.

The native DVD-A format is PCM - it may by uncompressed or losslessly compressed (Meridian Lossless Packing), hence the display on a stereo player will show PCM Stereo when playing the DVD-A (layer of a hybrid).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  8. Theo Maxtible

Theo Maxtible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Flysi,

I think together, we have cracked your "problem". As the others have pointed out, the DV135 is a stereo player (at least as far as hi-res goes), so for you to listen to a surround option on your "Love" album, you'd need to de-select the DVD-A priority on your player and use the DD or DTS options. This is easy to do, by pressing "SET UP" on your remote, and going to the relevant option. After having selected the desired priority, you may need to open and close the drawer after having done this, for the change to take effect. I normally keep my DV137 in DVD-A priority (and SACD MCH priority) mode, and did some of my first experimentation over the weekend.

As Mark quite rightly points out, a stereo option in addition to an MCH is often available on DVD-As. DVD-As with a stereo option in addition to an MCH option probably represent about 50% of my collection. Some have only a stereo option. A couple of mine have three audio options.

9. flysi

flysi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, many thanks for all the responses, and good to see it helped in some other threads too.

It all makes sense now, but two quick final questions. Does the DVD-A in stereo on the 135 give a higher quality signal than the stereo on the normal CD?

And more generally how do other people have their 135s setup? Using the DVD-A in stereo or 5.1/DTS? Is it just a preference thing, or dependant on the quality of the 5.1 mixing?

Thanks all

Simon

10. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    DVD-A permits a greater sample size than CD's fixed 16-bit, so in theory it can have a lower quantization noise than CD. The end-effect is that it can sound better (sorry for the woolly formulation, but that's how it is). Put simply, it depends on the source recording and your replay equipment quality.

The DVD-A layer supports lossless compression. dts and DD utilize perceptual compression, meaning that information is discarded that is believed to be inaudible. Again, whether this is audible and how much tends to be divisive, ranging from "can't hear the difference" through to "night and day". For me, the difference between full-rate dts and DVD-A is subtle and is best picked out on (unamplified) acoustic music. Again, the quality of the replay chain remains a relevant factor as does the quality of the original recording.

As a demonstation (using SACD), the recording quality of Bruch on ebs SACDs (ebs :: Bayer Music Group :: Klassik Labels :: Online-Shop) did not impress me at all. That said, the ebs CD of the Bruch second Violin Concerto was of even poorer quality, with the Suite for Organ and Orchestra quite dreadful.