1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no dts.

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by colincook5, Nov 3, 2004.

1. colincook5

colincook5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi everyone, I have just purchased a Yamaha dsp e-800 and cannot get it to otuput any sound when DTS is selected.Is this because i have not yet connected a digital cable to the digital inputs/output?

The cable (coax) is being delivered tomorrow.

Just to make clear i am using DTS encoded dvd but can only get 2 channel or 6 channel output.

The new Queen dvd (Live at the Bowl) will only play 2 channel or DTS 5.1,hence i can only listen to this in 2 channel at the moment.

I know the e-800 is old but it serves my purpose and i got it for £160.00 from Unbeatable which i thought was a bargain.

DVD is a Denon 3000 .

Hope someone can clarify.

Regards
    Colin.

2. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    How have you tried connecting the DVD to Processor? Have you connected via 6 phonos? If so, you will need to use the DVD player's onboard DTS decoder and set the DVD player to output this. The phono outputs/inputs on both the DVD and processor are ANALOGUE only. Once you connect via the coax, then the Yamaha's DTS decoder will come into it's own.

Just to add, if you have connected via the stereo phonos, as I understand it, the output is a matrixed version of the DD signal. Therefore if you set the DVD player to DTS output the stereo output will be mute.

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Again, how have you got the DVD player connected to the processor :confused:

4. colincook5

colincook5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for your replys, the dvd player is connected via 6 phono inputs,also it is not DTS
    equiped,only the processer is.Do they both have to be DTS equiped to be able to play a DTS soundtrack.I am getting 5.1 sound but not any DTS soundtrack.

5. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm afraid so. If there's no decoder built in to the Denon you wont be able to listen to the DTS soundtrack.

6. colincook5

colincook5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank You Mr Cheese i thought this was the case.Looks like i will be in the market for a new DVD.Any recomendations on a budget of around £500? I`m thinking of going down the HDMI route for the future, so i was thinking of the Denon 2910.I know people on this forum really dont like Denon but i have had no problems with the 3000.

Also what can be done with the old units, Denon 3000 and Yamaha E492.Nobody will want to buy these as they are so old and under equiped,it seems a shame to bin them they are in perfect condition.

Thanks again

Colin.

7. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    In your original post you say you have the Yamaha e800 which is DD/DTS capable,however in the last post you say a Yamaha E492 which isn't. Do you have both models? I assume the newer processor is an upgrade?

If your happy with the Denon why change it? TBH I generally find there's such little difference between DTS/DD, and generally select the DD anyway because my listening has to be done with dynamic compression. Ok, you say its outdated, but if it performs well why change it. If you want to occasionally hear a DTS soundtrack, even the cheapest of the cheapest budget supemarket models have decoders for DTS, why not get one as an 'extra'!

As for old equipment who knows? I've got an old pro-logic amp (a Denon!) gathering dust in my loft. Old technology ain't worth much, I'm afraid.

As for new DVD players. I'm not up to date at all to what's available maybe best to ask on the DVD players forum.

8. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The bottom line is that you need the digital connection to the the DSP800, which will then decode the DTS signal. You will normally need to select the DTS soundtrack of the DVD to get this output onto the digital link.

If you have the DSP800 set to DVD Auto input mode, it will switch automatically between Dobly Digital and DTS depending on what it sees coming down the link.