No DTS thru optical in on Panny SCHT900

GPMCDERM

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought this for use as a second system.....and all in all I have to
say I'm well impressed as the sound quality but have come across a problem. I have a Sony 725 dvd connected for watching
US flicks but also connect up a PS2 from time to time and have
found that the system will not decode a DTS signal thru the digital
in(it will decode them if a flick is played in it's own DVD) so
no R1 DTS films or DTS PS2 games.
Its not the end of the world if it can't(silly considering my 4/5 yr
old Sony DB925 will) do the DTS thru the input but a pity no less.

Ive tried playing a DTS DVD in a PS2 and selecting the DTS sound and i get sound through the SC-HT900. However the DTS light on the front panel istn iluminated so im suspicious but i do get sound from all speakers.

Also tried Grand Theft Auto Vice City in the PS2 and selecting DTS sound and all i get is the SC-HT900 displaying ERROR

Have you guys selected 'digital out' within the PS2's configuration screen?

Just in case...

Switch on the console without a disc inside (or press the 'eject' button).

You'll now see the screen showing Browser and System Configuration.

Select System Configuration by pressing the X key on the joypad.

Press up or down using the leftmost 'd-pad', until you see DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL).

The default setting for this option is 'Off'. If this is the case, press the X button once more, then press the left direction on the d-pad (highlighting On).

Press X again, to confirm this setting.

Press O (the 'circle' button) to return to the initial screen and you've now enabled the digital out.

I'm really tired and not sure what you have connected, so I hope I'm helping you to head in the right direction. Someone currently more coherent than myself will do so soon - but for now, good luck :)

I noticed the same problem some time ago (I have had the Pan 900 since July) when I hooked it up to my Xbox, No Joy on DTS movie playback, just a big ol ERROR message. Sure 5.1 works no problem but no DTS.

I made sure everything was set-up on the Xbox for DTS then I tried my Ps2 and then a few of my other DVD players and none of them worked with DTS:confused:

Unless I am doing something wrong and I really can't see that I am:) then all I can say is that the SCHT900 does not work with DTS unless you use the main unit:(

Sure this is a minus for the system and something I just took for granted would work fine. My main worry is the 5 disc changer braking down one day then I loose DTS unless I get it sorted.

I had a 3 disc pro logic dvd player many moons ago and the disc changer packed in. The system was too old to bother getting it fixed and everything else worked fine anyway so I ended up using the system as an amp for all my other cd players and video for years. This would have been nice to do on the SCHT900 as well one day.

I'm not giving up all hope yet though. Maybe somebody knows of a workaround for this problem or can just point out how thick and stoopid we are

:D :laugh:

Originally posted by andy572
Have you guys selected 'digital out' within the PS2's configuration screen?

I havent checked but digital out must have been selected otherwise i wouldnt be able to hear stereo either.

Just phoned Panasonic and they say that the digital in will only process Stereo. Now how useless is that!!!

Just phoned Panasonic and they say that the digital in will only process Stereo. Now how useless is that!!!

I don't understand? I get 5.1 from it from my Xbox/PS2 and other dvd players.

if it was only stereo then why call it digital? why not just use phono plugs?

Originally posted by gary_580
I havent checked but digital out must have been selected otherwise i wouldnt be able to hear stereo either.

Yeah, that's what I expected, gary; but... well, one has to hope, right?

If I'm well enough, remember and have time :D , I'll try to remember to search Usenet for you - just in case there is a solution.

Still hoping... :smashin:

The Panny SCHT900 will not decode DTS but most definietly decodes Dolby Digital through its Digital Input, or at least mine does so not as bad as it first sounds.

Originally posted by outtathaway
The Panny SCHT900 will not decode DTS but most definietly decodes Dolby Digital through its Digital Input, or at least mine does so not as bad as it first sounds.

Are you sure its decoding the dolby digital correctly?

I must abmit i havent tried that yet, but i did put a DTS DVD in the PS2 and try it, the Pany gives me sound but im sure its the same sound from all of the speakers. Definately sounds different if i play the same DVD in the Pany Player with DTS.

Yeah definitely, watched Saving Private Ryan defo DD5.1. As indicated on display and verified with my hearing.
Watched thro Pany S75EBS no probs.
Will sound different to the DTS track as its Dolby Digital as stated earlier the SCHT900 will not decode DTS thro Optical Input only Dolby Digital, which is a shame as most of my region one DVD's have DTS audio.:(

What a stupid restriction. I wouldn't have thought there was any technical reason to do this. I mean even quite humble all in ones that have dts allow dts from external sources to be processed. Perhaps its something that can be sorted in a firmware upgrade.

Originally posted by bonzobanana
What a stupid restriction. I wouldn't have thought there was any technical reason to do this. I mean even quite humble all in ones that have dts allow dts from external sources to be processed. Perhaps its something that can be sorted in a firmware upgrade.

I wouldnt bank on it!!! I bought this pany SC-HT900 and also a TX-32PD30 TV. You can see this combination of products in their brochure, however the SC-HT900 head unit is too big to fit on the shelves of the TX-32PD30 if you want to put cables in the back of the HT900!! Now thats how stupid Pany can be!!

Originally posted by outtathaway
Yeah definitely, watched Saving Private Ryan defo DD5.1. As indicated on display and verified with my hearing.
Watched thro Pany S75EBS no probs.
Will sound different to the DTS track as its Dolby Digital as stated earlier the SCHT900 will not decode DTS thro Optical Input only Dolby Digital, which is a shame as most of my region one DVD's have DTS audio.:(

Yep, fiddled wit the settings on my PS2 and got 5.1 working through the digital in. Going to call Panasonic again in the bleak hope someone there might know what they are talking about

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom