no dts sub channell

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thejag, Jul 18, 2002.

1. thejag

thejag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am using arcam avr 100 and eclipse dvd695 player connected via coax and i have lost the sub channel when playing dts discs but is fine in dolby digital mode.....any ideas......

please

the jag

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,903
    Bit odd. Have you tried contacting Arcam? See what they suggest.

Does it do it with every DTS disc or just one?? Could be a problem with the dvd player.:confused:

3. baileych

baileych

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe that John Dawson replied to someone else in this forum with a similar problem in which he admitted that some versions of the AVR100 may have 'issues' with bass management with DTS in some setups (either front = large or front = small, can't remember which).

I have the AVR100 but I have my sub connected by high and low level inputs so if the bass was going to the fronts instead of the sub line out I probably wouldn't notice (I haven't tried a DTS disc in ages though). I'd be interested to know exactly what the problem is though so that I can test if I have the same problem.

Charles.

PS http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40983

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Some DTS discs like Kylie in Sydney are 5.0. i.e no LFE

5. baileych

baileych

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just for info I had a quick play with Predator special edition R2 last night. It has DD and dts 5.1 tracks. I usually have my front speakers set to large, the rest small and sub on.

To test, I disconnected the bass of my fronts and the high level input of my sub and tested the two tracks, leaving just the line level input connected to the sub pre-out of the AVR100.

I was definitely getting quite a bit LFE from the DD track but not a whole deal from dts (almost nothing ???).

Reconnecting the speakers and high level inputs on the sub, there was little to choose between the two tracks but I'm, guessing that, bizarrely, the LFE was actually coming through the front speaker connections (which are connected in parallel to my sub) when playing the dts track.

Charles.

6. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    baileych :- I had exactly the same problem and I posted a thread on here a couple of weeks ago. John Dawson from Arcam replied saying it can be fixed with a firmware upgrade. I'm waiting for mine to come back from Arcam, I'll let you know if it works when I get it back.

By the way,,,mine also buzzes when the bass is turned up slightly, the input is on dvd, and the dvd player has a disc loaded (not playing)...very wierd. According to my dealer, this is also a 'known' problem. Just thought I would mention it, if you are going to return it to Arcam for a firmware upgrade they may as well sort this out as well (assuming your one exhibits the same problem)

7. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thejag - I have had the firmware upgraded, but it has'nt made a significant difference. DTS LFE is still significantly less than DD regardless of speaker setting and with different discs (Gladiator,Hanibal and Santana)

have you had any joy getting yours to work.? What dvd's have you tried ?

8. thejag

thejag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i s have tryed various dts discs,gladiator,santanna,chili peppers,
    eagles etc theyb are all the same prob,iknow for a fact that santanna worked fine when i first got the amp

i have now changed settings to small-small-small-sub on
    and seems to be ok,i to also get humming from dvd source with bass at full volume but not on cd source,did you have to pay for firmware upgrade

9. j0hn_r

j0hn_r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the firmware upgrade was free within warranty,,,but if your happy with the setup dont get it done. I just tried setting all speakers to small and it does'nt help, so in relation to DTS/LFE the upgrade is a step backwards.

Arcam did actually fix the buzzing and I sure its not firmware related so proabably safe to get fixed.