No DTS on blurays?

Aquablog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i don't know it this is the right place to ask.
But when i play some blurays like Pirates of the caribbean these don't have an english DTS track. Only Dolby digital and uncompressed. Other audio languages have dts tracks.

Why does the english audio use uncompressed audio? is this better than DTS audio?
I thought DTS hdmaster audio was the best version.

When i select the uncompressed audio my receiver is set to multichannel. (onkyo 509).

The blu-ray collection is big enough :p but i was thinking that pirates of the caribbean would also have a DTS track on it :) But only part 4 has a DTS track.

Early BD titles (like Pirates) were all either PCM or TrueHD. DTS-MA took quite a while to start appearing in titles.
Most recent BD titles use DTS-MA.

DTS-MA HD is lossless, Dolby TrueHD is lossless, LPCM is lossless, that's all you really need to know :)

oke thx all :)

DTS-MA HD is lossless, Dolby TrueHD is lossless, LPCM is lossless, that's all you really need to know :)
This is true, but strangely I am always disappointed with LPCM and always impressed with Dolby, dts can go either way. I had assumed it must be down to my amplifier (lossless is lossless right?) Do you find this with your denon?

This is true, but strangely I am always disappointed with LPCM and always impressed with Dolby, dts can go either way. I had assumed it must be down to my amplifier (lossless is lossless right?) Do you find this with your denon?

For lossless it's my Oppo that does the decoding as the Denon is too old :) 5.1 analogue in.

I can't say I've noticed any difference. DTS and Dolby can include meta data type information for applying level adjustment and stuff I believe. With LPCM it's just your AVR doing the processing. Assuming the same master is used and no processing applied then all 3 should result in the same data....or they're not lossless.

I have found that I need to turn my amp up a bit more with LPCM and TrueHD tracks compared to DTS-HD but when adjusted they sound just as good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom