No Dolby Vision / Atmos Disney +

CesarDC

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm not able to receive Dolby Vision/ Atmos on the Disney+ app. I stream the media from an Nvidia Shield Tv Pro. I have a Philips 4K with Dolby Vision and a Pioneer Elite with Atmos support. I also tried different versions of Disney app. I have no problem with other apps like Netflix streaming Atmos/Vision media. Could someone help me with this?

I was just about the post a thread on this and saw you were having a similar issue.
I have a firetv 4k stick runnng Disney+.
I have two projectors. An Epson 9300 (4K) and a JVC HD750 (1080p). Amp is the Yamaha A3050 supporting atmos etc. When I’m using the JVC PJ it says there is no atmos (says HD 5.1 available only) but with the Epson it says 4K Atmos HDR10 available.
It’s annoying as I want use the JVC PJ at the moment. The amp is still atmos compatible with Disney.

It might have something to do with the amp too but probably not,
Anyone got any ideas about this?A friend has a Panasonic GT50 50 inch plasma that is old. It’s only 1080p but he does get atmos ok conjunction with a Yamah A1060x Disney+ says “HD Atmos”.

Your problem might be the amp.
My friend had a Pioneer LX58 before (the first Pioneer that did does atmos) but Disney never said atmos was available with any kind of display. He had to change to the Yamaha 1060 then it was fine.

So it is amp and display dependant somehow, it seems.
Very odd.
It’s really annoying how they’ve configured it. Too automatic with no kind of manual override adjustment

What Pioneer receiver do you have? If it’s too old you might never get Atmos with it on Disney. The minimum is the SC Lx59/79/89 models from 2015 as I’ve tested an LX59 and that shows atmos ok with my Epson PJ.
Hi. I'm not able to receive Dolby Vision/ Atmos on the Disney+ app. I stream the media from an Nvidia Shield Tv Pro. I have a Philips 4K with Dolby Vision and a Pioneer Elite with Atmos support. I also tried different versions of Disney app. I have no problem with other apps like Netflix streaming Atmos/Vision media. Could someone help me with this?

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks for your reply. The receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX101. It supposed to have UHD passthrough but I only get HD and 5.1 from the app.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. The receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX101. It supposed to have UHD passthrough but I only get HD and 5.1 from the app.
Had a look and that Pioneer is from 2017. it should be fine for Atmos on Disney. Not sure what your issue could be as your Philips TV is 4K. I’ve not had the kind of problem where Disney can’t recognise the Display as 4K as well as the atmos issue. You seem to have a double issue there.

Is the Nvjdia shield set on 4K?
I heard before the shield can give issues with some amps with atmos.
and Disney+ complicates things further on too. Can you try or borrow another device from someone to try with Disney? Try using better HDMI cable too perhaps.

As for my issue (only get atmos available on Disney with the 4K Pj, not the 1080p Pj) if anyone has any ideas, please let me know..... I’m not holding my breath though! It’s a bizarre issue too.

As for my issue (only get atmos available on Disney with the 4K Pj, not the 1080p Pj) if anyone has any ideas, please let me know..... I’m not holding my breath though! It’s a bizarre issue too.

Hi mate

My understanding is Disney only provide their atmos track with the 4K hdr streams, but when you said your mate is getting atmos at 1080p sdr it got me wondering? What device is he using? Isn’t an Xbox by any chance?

Hi I watched wonda Vision on my 4k firestick last night it played in 4k dolby vision and dolby atmos

Hi mate

My understanding is Disney only provide their atmos track with the 4K hdr streams, but when you said your mate is getting atmos at 1080p sdr it got me wondering? What device is he using? Isn’t an Xbox by any chance?
Thanks for the info. That would make sense.
Yes my friend is definitely getting atmos with a 1080p SDR display which doesn’t follow this trend you suggest. He’s using an Apple TV 4K. He also has a fire stick 4K. I’m not sure if he tried it with the fire stick as the pic was better with the Apple TV so he always used that. I’ll ask him to try the fire stick too.
If atmos on Disney works into a 1080p display work ok only with an Apple TV I might have to get an Apple TV..... it was a while ago I spoke to him. Few months ago. Will ask if it’s the same

If not is there any other way? Is there any to downscale 4K to 1080p with some kind of add on boxe that could fool Disney into thinking your display was 4K when it actually isn’t?

It’s really annoying that it’s so automatic and there is no manual control. Bit if a scam if you ask me. - Trying to get people to spend money on new equipment. A bit like new phone firmware etc.

Thanks for the info. That would make sense.
Yes my friend is definitely getting atmos with a 1080p SDR display which doesn’t follow this trend you suggest. He’s using an Apple TV 4K. He also has a fire stick 4K. I’m not sure if he tried it with the fire stick as the pic was better with the Apple TV so he always used that. I’ll ask him to try the fire stick too.
If atmos on Disney works into a 1080p display work ok only with an Apple TV I might have to get an Apple TV..... it was a while ago I spoke to him. Few months ago. Will ask if it’s the same

If not is there any other way? Is there any to downscale 4K to 1080p with some kind of add on boxe that could fool Disney into thinking your display was 4K when it actually isn’t?

It’s really annoying that it’s so automatic and there is no manual control. Bit if a scam if you ask me. - Trying to get people to spend money on new equipment. A bit like new phone firmware etc.

Not sure then mate, my opinion was based on the numerous reports on the forum that atmos was lost if receiving the 1080p sdr stream. In addition during the first lockdown when we where downgraded to only receiving the 1440p stream we also lost atmos. Just checked the ATV4K and i still receive atmos even when set to 1080p so i guess something has changed On disney’s end since earlier in the year.

A potential workaround could be to try the disney addon for kodi as it allows you to independently select both the video and audio stream.

Not sure then mate, my opinion was based on the numerous reports on the forum that atmos was lost if receiving the 1080p sdr stream. In addition during the first lockdown when we where downgraded to only receiving the 1440p stream we also lost atmos. Just checked the ATV4K and i still receive atmos even when set to 1080p so i guess something has changed On disney’s end since earlier in the year.

A potential workaround could be to try the disney addon for kodi as it allows you to independently select both the video and audio stream.
I’m remembering now about my friends setup. On Disney it said 1080p (or HD) but also said HDR10 too (I think, I will double check with him), which might be why he still got atmos. It’s weird though as his Panasonic 1080p plasma is from 2013. Pretty sure it can’t do any kind of HDR.

Thanks for the Kodi tip. It’s probably not as user friendly as the Disney app but if it works it works. I’ll try that.

I have a Shield TV Pro and, as long as the display settings are set correctly, it plays Dolby Vision for Disney+ fine. HOWEVER...
You're aware of the number of bits, e.g. 10 bit or 12 bit for HDR and DV? And whether 4:4:2 or 4:4:4 etc etc... there are many different combinations of these (I haven't even touched on here but many more experts on AVforums). You've got the rec 2020 etc etc. There's also the frequency, as some TVs can't do 60Hz!
Basically, I can happily play DV for Netflix. But I can't play some of the titles properly on Disney+ in DV, as some of them are in "higher bits". While the Shield copes with this, it can do 12 bit DV in 4:4:4. My Denon amp (checked in manual) can do this too. BUT either my HDMI leads (maybe) or (more likely) I don't think my Toshiba TV can do it. If I set it to 10 bit rec 2020 in the Shield then it plays.
It takes a lot of messing around with the display settings on the Shield to work out what your TV and HDMI cables and amp can all cope with! The most advanced I have found is Start Wars VIII The Last Jedi... I advise playing that and getting the best setting you can.
Have you tried putting the HDMI directly into the TV, so that you can establish what the amp is limiting on passthrough? When you swap the leads don't forget to power everything off and to turn on TV first... I'm not joking, it makes a difference haha - or at least it does with my setup.

I’m remembering now about my friends setup. On Disney it said 1080p (or HD) but also said HDR10 too (I think, I will double check with him), which might be why he still got atmos. It’s weird though as his Panasonic 1080p plasma is from 2013. Pretty sure it can’t do any kind of HDR.

Thanks for the Kodi tip. It’s probably not as user friendly as the Disney app but if it works it works. I’ll try that.
Christian is dealing with the pic issues. Back to the Atmos issue. I tried the Kodi addon for Disney + and thought it was terrible. I could only get a 720p pic!

So is there is absolutely no way to get Atmos sound with Disney + when using a 1080p SDR display?

Is this the same case for Netflix?

I get Disney+ HDR and Atmos on my 1080P set up using Apple TV 4K in sig.

The problem with Disney is their app on Android TV 9 doesn’t support Atmos. If the Nvidia Sheila uses that OS, that is the issue. Disney blamed the OS during an online chat and the person in the chat contradicted themselves saying they will update, then saying I will have to wait until Sony updates my to Android TV 10, if that ever happens. The thing is I can get Atmos on other built in apps like Netflix and Amazon, so I guess the problem lies with Disney and their app, but they won’t admit it.

There is scant Amazon Atmos content though isn't there?

There is scant Amazon Atmos content though isn't there?
Not much at all but there is some to demonstrate it working. I can’t remember the content mentioned in another thread. I found it by accident.

I have solved the problem related to Dolby Vision/4K content. It was the cable. But I still have the problem with Dolby Atmos. I only get 5.1. Hope it's something related to the app because I'm out of ideas.

I keep reading that Amazon are not currently sending out any Atmos for their own content.

The problem with Disney is their app on Android TV 9 doesn’t support Atmos. If the Nvidia Sheila uses that OS, that is the issue. Disney blamed the OS during an online chat and the person in the chat contradicted themselves saying they will update, then saying I will have to wait until Sony updates my to Android TV 10, if that ever happens. The thing is I can get Atmos on other built in apps like Netflix and Amazon, so I guess the problem lies with Disney and their app, but they won’t admit it.
The 2019 Shield Pro and Tube run Android TV 9 and both support Atmos on Disney+

If it is of any interest or relevance:
I do not have any height or Atmos speakers connected. However, on my Denon, I can switch on the "Virtualiser". This function is meant to simulate height.
Note, if is only if I have the virtualiser switched on that Disney+ shows on the Denon as Atmos.

I am in the same boat, trying to get atmos from Disney+ app in fire tv 4k stick. The stick is connected to Q950T soundbar through hdmi switch which passes atmos - verified with Netflix atmos via Google TV). The soundbar's earc is connected to the arc port on a 1080p Panasonic plasma. Makes me wonder if it is a limitation with 1080p screens.

I am in the same boat, trying to get atmos from Disney+ app in fire tv 4k stick. The stick is connected to Q950T soundbar through hdmi switch which passes atmos - verified with Netflix atmos via Google TV). The soundbar's earc is connected to the arc port on a 1080p Panasonic plasma. Makes me wonder if it is a limitation with 1080p screens.

As it looks to the destination HDMI to "ask it" if it does Atmos, are you sure that (although the switch passes through Atmos sounds) the switch also sends those signals back? Have you tried bypassing the HDMI switch?

I'm wondering if Disney have been messing about again. The other day I was getting dolby vision but now I can't get it on my firestick. I can get standard hdr but no vision. Its fine on Netflix and prime but not on the Disney app.

I'm wondering if Disney have been messing about again. The other day I was getting dolby vision but now I can't get it on my firestick. I can get standard hdr but no vision. Its fine on Netflix and prime but not on the Disney app.
Myself as well, since yesterday. Can't get it on SHIELD Pro or on Sony internal app for Disney +, but Netflix does work. Weirdly, if I force the display to YUV 422 Rec 709 Dolby Vision in the SHIELD display settings (how does that even work? Can it be Dolby Vision in Rec 709?) then it does show that it's in Dolby Vision on Disney +. It doesn't look as good as it did a few days ago though, definitely dimmer.

I have a Shield TV Pro and, as long as the display settings are set correctly, it plays Dolby Vision for Disney+ fine. HOWEVER...
You're aware of the number of bits, e.g. 10 bit or 12 bit for HDR and DV? And whether 4:4:2 or 4:4:4 etc etc... there are many different combinations of these (I haven't even touched on here but many more experts on AVforums). You've got the rec 2020 etc etc. There's also the frequency, as some TVs can't do 60Hz!
Basically, I can happily play DV for Netflix. But I can't play some of the titles properly on Disney+ in DV, as some of them are in "higher bits". While the Shield copes with this, it can do 12 bit DV in 4:4:4. My Denon amp (checked in manual) can do this too. BUT either my HDMI leads (maybe) or (more likely) I don't think my Toshiba TV can do it. If I set it to 10 bit rec 2020 in the Shield then it plays.
It takes a lot of messing around with the display settings on the Shield to work out what your TV and HDMI cables and amp can all cope with! The most advanced I have found is Start Wars VIII The Last Jedi... I advise playing that and getting the best setting you can.
Have you tried putting the HDMI directly into the TV, so that you can establish what the amp is limiting on passthrough? When you swap the leads don't forget to power everything off and to turn on TV first... I'm not joking, it makes a difference haha - or at least it does with my setup.

Myself as well, since yesterday. Can't get it on SHIELD Pro or on Sony internal app for Disney +, but Netflix does work. Weirdly, if I force the display to YUV 422 Rec 709 Dolby Vision in the SHIELD display settings (how does that even work? Can it be Dolby Vision in Rec 709?) then it does show that it's in Dolby Vision on Disney +. It doesn't look as good as it did a few days ago though, definitely dimmer.
I started having this issue yesterday as well. But, I have a Sony A8H and I know it had no issues just two days ago with the content. I feel like I'm going crazy, everything has just completely stopped working properly in the last day.

I started having this issue yesterday as well. But, I have a Sony A8H and I know it had no issues just two days ago with the content. I feel like I'm going crazy, everything has just completely stopped working properly in the last day.
I will note, that Plex no longer works in Dolby Vision for me as well, despite having worked two days ago. Only Netflix works now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom